BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: OnX Offroad maps, Is it worth it, do you actually use it??  (Read 443 times)

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
OnX Offroad maps, Is it worth it, do you actually use it??
« on: April 27, 2023, 11:50:00 AM »
Like it says, do you actually use it? How? Parks, dirt roads, unmarked stuff, etc. I dont mind paying, just want to be sure it works like I'm expecting.

I'm looking at GPS units for my dual sport, but I fkn hate Garmin. Never had one that didn't get me lost. The only thing they are good for up here while out adventuring is knowing public vs. private land, and the OnX app has a feature that will also tell you this. Secondary use will be at parks in the rig, so thats not all that important.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: OnX Offroad maps, Is it worth it, do you actually use it??
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 12:35:23 PM »
I use it, still trying to figure it all out.  Used it at AOP last time, very accurate , was cool to track my trail.   I like the off grid feature that you can load an area on your computer, then select off grid on your phone and it shows up when you have no cell signal.  You can define that with parameters of 5 miles or 500 miles .  Works well with Apple play
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Online Panthers65

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 07:39:04 AM »
I used the free premium version that came with my jeep for 6mo when I bought it. That was cool, it had property owners information on every area. When the free version ran out and paid $30 for a year of the standard version, which obviously isn't as useful but still IDs public vs private land and roads.

It is mostly useless at parks other than just trying to map the trails, but it was pretty useful when riding forest/service roads. If you wanted to drive the traverse or GAT I think it would be really useful. You can also load maps/waypoints in it, so if your group is going to use it it's obviously more useful

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 07:22:33 PM »
I pay for the annual subscription and the only time I’ve used it was our last forest service ride where I plotted our path so I could find it later.  I also marked some of the cool spots we stopped at and campsites that I saw.  I hope to learn to fly fish sooner than later, and I think it would be great for that as well, to help me navigate to spots that I’ve read about. I think for you up there where it’s all in your backyard it would be really useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 11:27:34 AM »
I use lifetime trail maps.  It's been great and I have used it every place I go offroad.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
OnX Offroad maps, Is it worth it, do you actually use it??
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 09:16:27 PM »
I’ve been subscribed to Gaia GPS for a few years now. You can make routes etc on the PC and it links with your phone or tablet. I tried onX and I didn’t think it was worth the hype all the YouTubers give it. Gaia also tells you about private land and lists the land owners names and property info which is pretty neat, with the subscription you can download the natgeo maps which is awesome for backwoods forestry service roads stuff and camping and fishing. It did take me a while to Lear to use it fully though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 09:18:08 PM by Jeepster1407 »
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 08:34:33 AM »
I used it for the first time last night to get distance off trail to drop off some firewood for the weekend, we are camping on the Toccoa river. It was dead nuts on distance, direction, and location, all of which my Garmin sucks at.

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 07:59:26 AM »
This thread interested me so I downloaded the app and used it to go to the Cohutta Wilderness trail in the TJ on Sunday.  My wife and I had a nice ride up there and enjoyed the views.  I paid the annual subscription so I can use it for other FS trails. 

I'm a newbie with it, but can you share routes with others that use the app?
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 09:25:07 AM »
This thread interested me so I downloaded the app and used it to go to the Cohutta Wilderness trail in the TJ on Sunday.  My wife and I had a nice ride up there and enjoyed the views.  I paid the annual subscription so I can use it for other FS trails. 

Im still getting used to it, but I think you can share routes. Did yall go in off hwy 5 and come out in Ellijay?

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 10:52:03 AM »

Im still getting used to it, but I think you can share routes. Did yall go in off hwy 5 and come out in Ellijay?
Using the app, it navigated us to enter at Crandall and the route took us out at Cisco.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2023, 11:14:25 AM »

Yes, you can share with others
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM