BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Lawn care  (Read 629 times)

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Lawn care
« on: June 10, 2023, 10:27:09 PM »
Talk me off the ledge, I'm looking into reel mowers  [help]

I've been perusing the local classifieds looking into powered reel mowers... California's, Alletts, Toro, etc. Anyone ever go this route?

I've been mowing twice a week or so now, and I'm almost down to the lowest setting on my rotary mower. I'm getting soil tested next week, got a scarifier that showed up today, getting aerated by end of month and then working on leveling with top soil in low places before possible doing the whole yard with sand.

@Grass Janitor are you still in this line of work?

Online Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Lawn care
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 09:15:15 AM »
Ive got one, you are welcome to stop by and check it out.  Go with a 27 or bigger as they say.  I'd say come mow my lawn, but it's all torn up now and I hope to have it going again soon.  It's one of the reasons my jeep is not done, the lawn...

got it from below a couple years ago, its their own knockoff of a McLean.  Reading their website, not sure if they are still open.

http://reelmowers.net

Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 10:08:34 AM »
Is it Bermuda?  I think you’re on the right track, bury it in sand and drag something across it to level it out, you might have to do it more than once, but that will smooth it out. If you want to go low you’re going to have to get a reel mower, the only hard part is the maintenance but you can either find a mower shop or lots of golf course Mechanics will do side work sharpening reels and bedknives. 

My only experience with lawn reel mowers is with a Tru Cut back in college, I’ve always had Deere or toro made for golf and sports fields. Since 2010 a ton of golf courses in Georgia have gone from walk mowing their greens to ride mowing, so there are a lot of used walkers out there that could probably be had cheap. They are set up a little differently, they don’t have rubber tires. They have a metal drum, but you can definitely use them on your yard.  Jerry Pate is the Toro dealer, and Beard equipment (they just bought Greenville turf and tractor) is the Deere dealer. It might be worth a shot contacting their used equipment departments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 10:15:17 AM »
The golf mowers are mostly 22” and 18”, but there are 26” too so if you can find one of those I think that’s your best bet.

If it is well established Bermuda in full sun you can get pretty aggressive with it with scarifying and scalping it down, then cover it in sand, smooth it out, spread some fertilizer on it, and let it grow back up through. Especially this time of year. It’ll look like crap for a little while but the finished product will be great. 

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 12:44:56 PM »
The golf mowers are mostly 22” and 18”, but there are 26” too so if you can find one of those I think that’s your best bet.

If it is well established Bermuda in full sun you can get pretty aggressive with it with scarifying and scalping it down, then cover it in sand, smooth it out, spread some fertilizer on it, and let it grow back up through. Especially this time of year. It’ll look like crap for a little while but the finished product will be great. 

Yes, its bermuda and around 13 years old. I'll keep a look out for a decent reel. I'm going to start spot leveling after aeration to get rid of some of the bigger ruts before jumping into top dressing and tons of sand and see how ot goes from there.

I looked at new mowers, but $2500 for a walk behind put a damper on that lol. Maybe a new manual reel for $120 haha

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 01:39:48 PM »
I’ve been using a tru-cut 27” mower with a roller and love it! Emerald zoysia

Jay

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 03:49:30 PM »

Show off

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 03:51:42 PM »

Show off
Any opportunity to share the stripe life…
Jay

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 04:52:35 PM »

Show off

I like how they're crooked like cooked bacon. Makes me hungry just looking at it

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 06:47:46 PM »

Show off

I like how they're crooked like cooked bacon. Makes me hungry just looking at it
Camera makes it look like an optical illusion. They are perfect in real life.
Jay

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2023, 09:28:08 PM »
Oh y’all like stripes?

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2023, 09:45:40 PM »