BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: July 14-16 Choccolocco Mountain - Discussion Thread  (Read 1139 times)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
July 14-16 Choccolocco Mountain - Discussion Thread
« on: June 21, 2023, 02:19:12 PM »
CHOCCOLOCCO ORV PARK AND CAMPGROUND

OPEN RIDE - EVERYONE'S INVITED

JULY 14 - 16

DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY

Ride CHECK-IN thread is here: http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=19644.msg380632#msg380632

Choccolocco Mountain is located in Jacksonville, Alabama, just outside of the town limits.The park is 450 acres of rocky mountainous trails. The trails range from moderate to extreme.
Restaurants, hotels, and auto parts stores are only about five minutes from the park.

We allow any type of off road vehicle. The trails are very rough, rocky, and steep in some areas. Even the main trails may be too rough for 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. Side by sides & 4x4's with larger tires are capable of trail riding on the main roads. This mountain is the extremely modified vehicle's paradise! The extreme trails are the best in the southeast. You ride at your own risk.

The campground includes beautiful overlook views, wooded primitive camp sites, a bath house with restrooms & showers, RV campground with power & water hookups, and a children's playground.
We are approximately 5 minutes from the Jacksonville State University campus.

Trails descriptions:

TIER 2 – Intermediate: Rides that are open to all 4x4 vehicles. There will be challenges for stock to fully built rigs. Plenty of bypasses for lesser built vehicles. Some damage/Broken parts can be expected, depending on how far you want to push your vehicle. You will have a chance to gain a lot of off-road experience on these rides.

TIER 3 – Hardcore: Rides for fully built rigs. These rides will not be for the faint of heart. You must meet the vehicle requirement set by GATR STAFF to join these rides. These rides are for the most experienced drivers. Most trails on these rides will be hard.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 03:21:45 PM by Grass Janitor »

Offline sharpshooter109

• Visitor
Re: July 14-16 Choccolocco Mountain - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 10:18:00 PM »
Hey y’all. Long time lurker here on the forums. I’ve never been to a meeting or trail ride with y’all before. I want to ride at choccolocco in a few weeks but I don’t want to hold anybody up. I’ve got an unlifted 87 ford bronco on 33’s. I’ve only ever been trail riding once or twice before several years ago. I looked over the rules/required equipment and I have everything, except for maybe the radio/gmrs license. I do have a CB but I need to look into the gmrs license to see if I can get it before the trail ride.

I saw there were a few guys on 35’s but it looks like I would be the smallest tire there, and probably the least experienced as well. Does this park have any easy trails/lots of bypasses? Will anyone else be running the easier trails with me? Is this the trip for me? Or should I wait for another trip?

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 08:46:58 AM »
Hey y’all. Long time lurker here on the forums. I’ve never been to a meeting or trail ride with y’all before. I want to ride at choccolocco in a few weeks but I don’t want to hold anybody up. I’ve got an unlifted 87 ford bronco on 33’s. I’ve only ever been trail riding once or twice before several years ago. I looked over the rules/required equipment and I have everything, except for maybe the radio/gmrs license. I do have a CB but I need to look into the gmrs license to see if I can get it before the trail ride.

I saw there were a few guys on 35’s but it looks like I would be the smallest tire there, and probably the least experienced as well. Does this park have any easy trails/lots of bypasses? Will anyone else be running the easier trails with me? Is this the trip for me? Or should I wait for another trip?
Chocco has lots of bypasses and easier trails to access the harder trails so you can also observe others.  I would say it’s a good park to come out to and just experience what a ride is like.  I’m attaching an image from my Avenza app that shows the park map (a little blurry) but you can see all of green and blue trails that you should be able to explore. 
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 08:55:29 AM »
My first time wheeling ever was with this group, In a full size long bed Chevy truck, on 33’s, independent front suspension, no lockers.  Wrong everything to be wheeling rocks.  That being said, over the next couple of years I took that truck places it should not have gone. It was a challenge, but I had fun and learned a lot, knew my limits.
Come on out, you won’t hood anyone up, we have all been a newby at one time.
Full size rig might be tight on trails and turning.
 Winch? Lockers?
Come on out, you gotta start somewhere!
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline sharpshooter109

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 10:30:07 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I’m finishing a few last minute fixes to get the bronco in shape for the trip. If everything goes according to plan, I’ll drive down there Saturday morning and drive back that night, weather permitting.

The bronco has open diffs front and rear, and I do have a winch, but I need to get a new synthetic line for it. I’m working on that and hope to have it delivered in time for the trip.

I’ll post up on the check in thread with my info. Sounds like it’s going to be a fun trip!

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 09:45:47 PM »
Mexican restaurant Friday night? I'm shooting for Friday lunch arrival

Anyone bringing a grill for Saturday night?

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 08:55:43 AM »

I will have my grill.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 10:25:55 PM »

You branging 3 year old brats?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 11:14:44 PM »

She's 4 and is quite polite.

But I will bring some fresh bratwurst and buns to share

Offline bjeep

• Visitor
  • Do one thing today to make tomorrow better.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2023, 07:15:51 AM »

So she takes after her mother???
Marty

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2023, 08:33:02 AM »

So she takes after her mother???
Haha. Just for her good traits

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2023, 01:39:13 PM »
If you bailed on the trip due to potential rain, you messed up. This was the driest I've ever seen the place, and it never rained. If you bailed due to heat, you weren't wrong lol. Friday was hot, but Saturday was overcast and with a good breeze most of the day.

Lots of carnage, but I'll let @TravisMac and @thudson17890 share their stories.

We ran everything more than once, and I got to check off a few more lines that I've always wanted to hit but couldn't make it up in the past

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM