BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morris mountain carnage and pics  (Read 384 times)

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Morris mountain carnage and pics
« on: October 30, 2023, 07:47:21 AM »
This is long, but a bunch happened…..

Bad things happen on night rides!
So, earlier in the day on sat Roger broke a driver side ujoint which of course took out the ears on the shaft. Got back to camp, changed it out but not without issues.
I had a spare shaft with a unit bearing attached, had that on there pretty quick, dave said “hand me the rotor “ when he went to put it on that’s when we realized that there were no lug studs on it. Dave said I’m done, I’m catching back up to TJ and Brian .
I couldn’t get the unit bearing off the shaft so I unbolted and pulled it back out, beat on it some more. Then just decided to take the studs out of the broken shaft with a BFH, put them in the other one, bolted everything up then found out that I put the brake dust cover on backwards so rotor wouldn’t fit.  Who needs that thing anyway , not my Jeep so I unbolted , pulled shaft and put it back on the right way again.  This makes 3 times I’ve pulled it.  Put wheel back on just as Roger woke up from his “nap”
Dave, TJ, and Brian came back, we hung out at camp for a bit then decided to go out about
Sunset, Dave broke a driveshaft and went back to camp. The rest of us played around on a few trails around gauntlet as it got dark, then all hell broke loose!
Roger broke passenger side ujoint/shaft, rear driveshaft and bent tie rod all at the same time, only had driver tire engagement ( the one I replaced)  He was in an awkward position facing uphill deep in some rocks. We tried to straighten tierod but it was like a wet noodle, everytime he turned the wheel it changed shape.
We tried pulling him uphill but that didn’t work so I anchored him from the front (me facing front of his Jeep) TJ pulled him from the rear backwards ( Roger was backwards) down the hill off of that trail.  From there we are trying to find the easiest way back, TJ pulling him, Brian was riding with tj, I’m behind Roger.  His wheels were going whereever they wanted when they wanted.  It was a very slow process, and not on a flat straight road . Some how during the pulling over some rocks the pass tire debeaded itself off both sides of the rim, and of course this was going uphill over some rocks, couldn’t steer at all with a flat off the rim tire and a wet noodle tierod , We finally got that back on after some brake cleaner and a lighter that just set the side of the jeep on fire, had to put it out with a fire extinguisher, twice! The heat from the fire made the tire more flexible, and we were able to get air in it, so that helped I guess.  It’s not over yet though!
After tire change, I walked back to my Jeep and drove 20 feet just to see Roger’s jeep laying on its side .  Uphill again of course.  Not sure exactly what happened there, I think because of no steering , Jeep just went uphill as TJ was pulling the opposite way and it just pulled it over . No injuries, but Roger needs flat fenders now, well
one for sure.
After winch lines, straps, a couple snatch blocks we were able to get him back on all fours.  This was on the gauntlet bypass where he flipped.  We finally got to the top of gauntlet and some help showed up and were able to guide us the easiest way back.
This whole ordeal from when he broke to when we got back to camp to four hours.
  If I hadn’t done a friend a favor and changed out the first broken axle shaft, none of this would have happened, well at least not to him.
Great trip, great teamwork to get him off the mountain.
I won’t tell you about my Jeep just dying , crank no start, replaced CPS ( what s pain in the ass) only to find out that fuel pump factory connector had come unplugged . I have a spare CPS now that I know works. 
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Morris mountain carnage and pics
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 08:16:51 AM »
Fun times for sure.
I would have went back to try to help but none of my lights worked.

Offline classified

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 09:19:34 AM »
Thing is, it wasn't really a night ride. It had just got dark and we were trying to hit a couple more trails on the way out.
Good news, my power steering is fixed. But I was overheating some. Luckily having our resident mechanic tj there made short work of diagnostics and I need a new fan clutch.
Good ride. Parts flying, jeeps rolling over, and just alot of fun. Well except for the 4 hour recovery
Brian Gibson
94 YJ

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 10:17:10 AM »
Wow, guys...glad y'all worked as a team and go it taken care of; terrible set of events, for sure.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 10:41:04 AM »
Nice write up! What a crazy set of events

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 07:52:34 AM »
"Nothing good ever happens on night rides"

That might be paraphrasing a once great Himalayan Monk; I think his name was Toe-Nee, but I'm not sure.
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2023, 08:25:20 PM »
"Nothing good ever happens on night rides"

That might be paraphrasing a once great Himalayan Monk; I think his name was Toe-Nee, but I'm not sure.
Can confirm.   

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM