BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Trying to choose a lift  (Read 919 times)

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
Trying to choose a lift
« on: August 12, 2008, 07:21:53 PM »
I have plans to get a lift for a 98 TJ, I'll be going with a 4 inch of some sort, my budget is no more the $1,000 and thats pushing it, I'd really like to get a kit that has steering components, but that may be asking too much with the budget, may have to go for that down the road...any suggestions on brands and/or kits in particular? I know steer clear of rough country

Chris Hyde

Re: Trying to choose a lift
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:23:21 PM »
If I were spending $1000 or so on a 4" TJ lift, I'd do the Full Traction 4in Flex Arm kit and a set of RE Montube shocks.

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
I hadn't even given full traction a look, but I checked out that lift and it looks real good, a lot of parts for the money...good quality?

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:53:36 AM »
I run a rubicon express 3.5" superflex. Just under the $ goal but you will need a new track bar. I love my lift and it works flawlessly on the trails.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline yellowxj

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:09:53 AM »
I have plans to get a lift for a 98 TJ, I'll be going with a 4 inch of some sort, my budget is no more the $1,000 and thats pushing it, I'd really like to get a kit that has steering components, but that may be asking too much with the budget, may have to go for that down the road...any suggestions on brands and/or kits in particular? I know steer clear of rough country

You've had a bad experience with rough country? I built my xj with RC stuff just because someone came to the shop talking smack about roughcountry, in my 5 or 6 years of dealing with roughcountry I havent had any problems other than people being cheap on shocks...the secret with rough country is to not get the cheap shocks...rides great with gas charged shocks. I'd steer clear of rustys...customer service was hit or miss last time I dealed with them...the only problem I've had with rubicon express is getting too much lift on 1 of the lifts I installed...wouldnt think it was a bad thing until unplanned lift related expenses started popping up. The full traction lifts were good if I recall, havent installed one of those in a little while.
I hope I get to trail ride this year.

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
no I haven't had any experience with RC but it seems every time I see them talked about it's in a complaint, Krawler, did you get a driveshaft and SYE as soon as you got the lift?

Chris Hyde

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 10:09:57 AM »
Sorry Travis in advance.  ;D

My experience with RC lifts are as follows:

1. Shocks that come with the kits are HORRIBLE.  They ride like a go kart.
2. The control arm quality is simply, ehhhh.............OK, and nothing more.  Cheap looking.  Welds werent impressive and thin metals are used on the bushing ends of the fixed length arms.
3. Powder coating chipped off arms and springs rather quickly..
4. Missing pieces to the kit.  Had to complain and get new pieces mailed.
5. Control arm poly bushings all tore in less than 6 weeks and needed to be replaced.  No biggie, just a hassle to take off all the arms and replace. I was sad.

Overall, RC is a "budget" style lift and some folks love it.  Alot of folks like it for a first time lift, but in the end, you will probably be switching to a different kit.  My theory is now to buy your second lift kit first and dont be awwed by saving $150 - $200 in advance for the RC kit.  You will NOT go wrong with Full Traction or Rubicon Express.  Will (Full Traction) and Ben's (KRAWLER00) Jeeps perform quite well as did my last TJ with Rubicon Express.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:15:04 AM by Chris »

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »
no I haven't had any experience with RC but it seems every time I see them talked about it's in a complaint, Krawler, did you get a driveshaft and SYE as soon as you got the lift?

I did not. I used there 1" belly drop and got a 1" JKS ML and saved for my sye and driveshaft kit. Worked fine but you will need upper rear adjustable control arms. Here is what you will need to get, along with the stuff you buy to get it on the road and be right. But like Chris said... do it right the first time. With the 3.5" SF kit you'll need...

1. Adjustable front track bar. I use the RE version.
2. Rear upper adjustable control arms. I use JKS.
3. Shocks. I bought the Doestch Tech shocks. You can mount upside down in rear and get away from the spring perches.

After these parts you can save up for the sye kit and driveshaft. With my lift I gained around 4.25"-4" of lift. It was an easy install and parts have held up awesome. There control arms have taken some real good hits with no reprocusions. But whatever you do, do it right the first time. I have since replaced the front upper control arms with JKS ones and added a belly up skid. Other than that I am VERY pleased with the lift!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 10:40:41 AM »
do you think the jks control arms are a must immediately? like I said my budget is about 1,000 bucks before shocks, I could certainly swing the control arms down the road, and I could get a track bar immediately, which considering the kit doesn't come with one seems a little more necessary....Right now the Full Traction kit is looking like a better deal based on the parts it includes, Chris do you think there's anything else I would need other than shocks?

Offline DILYSI Dave

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:01:53 AM »
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/3601_3603_3606/products_id/32243

It's only been out a couple of months, but we've had good feedback on our kit so far.  Includes gas shocks. 

I would plan on an SYE and driveshaft sooner than later though.  My YJ with 1.25" lift shackles had vibrations.  I put the 4" kit on at the same time as the SYE and DS, and with the 5.25" and SYE it is way smoother than the 1.25" without the SYE. 

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/3601_3603_3606/products_id/32243

It's only been out a couple of months, but we've had good feedback on our kit so far.  Includes gas shocks. 

I would plan on an SYE and driveshaft sooner than later though.  My YJ with 1.25" lift shackles had vibrations.  I put the 4" kit on at the same time as the SYE and DS, and with the 5.25" and SYE it is way smoother than the 1.25" without the SYE. 

I will keep that in mind, it's probably only gonna be a few months before I can do the driveshaft and SYE

Chris Hyde

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »
Chris do you think there's anything else I would need other than shocks?
At 4" of lift, as others have stated, you will more than likely need an SYE, CV driveshaft and rear adjustable upper control arms to dial out the drivetrain vibes that come from lifting a TJ 4" or more.  I am 97% sure you will get driveline vibes.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM