BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Hey from the NooB  (Read 985 times)

RangerR

Hey from the NooB
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »
Well I was lurking around and thought I'd register to find out more on trail riding. I have a Ranger currently but I want to build something I don't have to worry about. Any suggestions on a vehicle? 84 F150 too big? It's cheap that's why I asked. I lifted my Ranger 2 years ago and like anybody new to mud tires I had to try them out. That truck was worthless in the mud. It was only an inch or two deep, too.
Who lives on the southside of Atlanta in say the Hampton, McDonough area? I'd like to check out some trails and some rigs to see what I definitely need out on the trail. Well hello to all of you.  Maybe I can get some help on my decision posting here. 

Offline Alex

• Visitor
Re: Hey from the NooB
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 12:15:16 PM »
Welcome.  Glad you found us.  We are a grate group to ride with.  As far as a f-150 i say it is up to you.  Yea it is big but what do you like to do with the truck?  Most around here have jeeps but we like all 4x4's ;D  If i were you i would build a Cherokee Suzuki or a Toyota if price was a concern.  They are small and with the right stuff can go just about any were.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:36:47 PM »
Welcome aboard! I am just a bit south of you in Macon. I agree with Alex, depending on what you want to do, Cherokees are extremely cheap and easy to come by.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

BigJerm

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:53:24 PM »
Welcome. How long the is the F150? That would be my only concern. I drive a 4 door Wrangler and a time or 2 I have had to really pay attention to back of it to stay off trees

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:07:42 PM »
Jerm that was funny stuff you said that your ass backs up into some wood... HAHAHAHA ;D ;D {toast} {toast}

Just go with a Wrangler you can take the top off have fun and chicks dig it..

Mike

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 03:04:36 PM »
Welcome!

Is the 84 fuel injected?

I wheeled a full sized 77 GMC for a couple years. You can have fun in a full sized truck.I did a lot of mods to mine before I sold it.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 03:56:49 PM »
Wheres Richard?! ;)
I've grown tired of this.

RangerR

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »
Thanks guys. The f150 is short bed 4x4 no motor. But after listening to some of you I may not want it.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:03:54 PM »
What axles does an 84 F150 have? If it has a 44/9" combo you could but them under a Jeep  8)
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Chris Hyde

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 06:04:06 PM »
If i were you i would build a Cherokee Suzuki or a Toyota if price was a concern.  They are small and with the right stuff can go just about any were.

Since when was a Cherokee small?

ranger11

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 06:42:28 PM »
Im here. Rangers and mud suck unless you have tons of lift and huge tires but thats what it take for almost everything to mud ride. Just build the Ranger up for trail riding. What year model is the ranger?
You can swap a jeep dana 30 under the front and keep the 8.8 (if thats the rear you have) for the cost of a 6" lift and you will gain 3-4" just from the axle swap. Here are some pics of mine.

Jimmy the 80's model F150 didnt come with a solid axle 44 in was split in half with the stupid ttb crap.

This is how it looks now

And when I had way to much lift

Ps Im not that bald but i am missing a few hairs and the sun was shinning that day.

If you have any Ford questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 08:42:46 PM »
That was a "bright" day! :D
I've grown tired of this.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM