BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Thinking about getting a Cherokee. What do I look for?  (Read 566 times)

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
Thinking about getting a Cherokee. What do I look for?
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »
I am thinking about replacing my totaled WJ with a Cherokee (XJ).  Can anyone give me a quick rundown of what to look for? 
I've done a little research and it looks like 97-01s were pretty good and you could get the 4.0L.  Also looks like the best rear axle in those year models was the 8.25, all of them had the D30 up front I believe.  Any advice is appreciated.  This will be a daily driver that I want to lock front and rear and run 33s with about 6" of lift.
Seth
07 Rubicon Unlimited on 37s

RotorHead

Re: Thinking about getting a Cherokee. What do I look for?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
I am thinking about replacing my totaled WJ with a Cherokee (XJ).  Can anyone give me a quick rundown of what to look for? 
I've done a little research and it looks like 97-01s were pretty good and you could get the 4.0L.  Also looks like the best rear axle in those year models was the 8.25, all of them had the D30 up front I believe.  Any advice is appreciated.  This will be a daily driver that I want to lock front and rear and run 33s with about 6" of lift.

Just get the Rubicon.  {toast}

How's your neck?

BigJerm

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »
Just get the Rubicon.  {toast}

How's your neck?

x2 on both. Last time i got hit from behind BY A CAR my neck/back was killer the next few days.

As far as Cherokee, cant tell ya much, had a 98 but didnt know squat about it back then.

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »
I love the Rubicons!  I do not love car payments when my wife isn't working and I have to feed her and the 3 year old. 

Trust me I have thought about it.

I am going to go to the doctor on Monday to get my back checked.  It seems to be bothering more today than it has all week.
Seth

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »
Don't really look at the 00-01s. They have a LP30 front axle and I think CV joints. The 97-99 have HP30 front axles with u-joints.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 05:09:03 PM »
Don't really look at the 00-01s. They have a LP30 front axle and I think CV joints. The 97-99 have HP30 front axles with u-joints.

Thanks Ben.  Good to know.
Seth

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 05:43:47 PM »
99 is the best year. New body style and interior, HP30, old style heads that don't overheat, big u-joints, some have the 29-spline Chrysler 8.25.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

mdo817

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 05:58:04 PM »
99 is the best year. New body style and interior, HP30, old style heads that don't overheat, big u-joints, some have the 29-spline Chrysler 8.25.
X2 on what Jimmy said, 99's have 760 u joints on the axles and 29 spline 8.25's.

Offline R_jeep

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »
97-99. dont get an abs model. get a full instrument cluster. look for northern jeeps being sold here lately, and stay away from them. the rust issues may not appear to be a problem, until you have to replace fuel and brake lines. i like the command  trac transfercase personally. other than that the lower the miles the better.

here is link to  GREAT jeep at a great price.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=970023
Im gay!

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 10:45:49 PM »
99 is the best year for all the goodies like Jimmy said. But don't be afraid to get a 91 to 01.
 I "think" 93 and up got the big u joints in the front.
97 and up have the metal hatch on the back.
Also like Jimmy said the 00-01 are LP D30's in the front but I would not let that stop me from getting one, all the Tj's are Lp D30 fronts and they do just fine.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 11:10:13 PM »
i had a 91 and it was great... love it to death till i got my TJ...

Mike {toast}

Offline yellowxj

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 10:47:26 AM »
on any cherokee look for rust above the muffler and cat. if you plan on buying an older one for wheeling and you install front upper control arms go ahead and put new front UCA bushings in. once you start twisting the axle around it seems like the old bushings fall out real fast. Check for rust at the back corners of the roof. I forget what year the big ujoints were standard. I think 96-97. Depending on what tire size you plan on running you can live with a stock rear. I've never broken a stock rear with 31's but I guess some people have managed it. Hunt around for a xj D44 rear and you wont have any problems with common size tires.
I think the 91-95(?) xj's are my fav...you can find the bigger ujoints, get the old style tail shaft that doesnt have as many vibrations issues.
I hope I get to trail ride this year.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM