BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: welding help/tips  (Read 627 times)

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
welding help/tips
« on: October 25, 2008, 11:46:15 PM »
today I went to a welding workshop, no prior experience, just read a lot on jeep builds and stuff, we had two kinds of welding- o2 and gas with the rod or stick, and a mig.

I didn't try the o2 way cause it looked too easy and I wanted to try something that I would actually be able to use to build something or fab on a jeep... so I tried my hand at the mig, we were only welding rods 1/4" in diam....my main problem was just getting a feel for the trigger and seeing the weld since you can only really see once you get the arc, I was just welding two ends together so I didn't get a chance to try a bead...any tips? cause I am going for the second part in the morning..

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
Re: welding help/tips
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »
You did choose the easiest method.  ;)

Make sure you get a technique down, maybe they will show you.

You can move the tip in circles, draggin the welding pool along, this method is easy but not the best weld, each time you go backwards with your time you contaminate the welding pool.

You can simply move the tip back and forth, which is the worst method. You want to make sure you penetrate both welding surfaces which this doesnt allways do, plus your going backwards again, and lastly you will have ugly welds.

The best method in my opinion is using semi circles or "C" while moving forward. This will leave you with a nice weld, you will cross both surfaces, and you are always moving forward. Also keep moving at a steady pace.

Clean the surfaces you are welding very well, make sure you ground what your welding. Just practice running some beads on piece of plate for practice, getting a steady hand and welding straight.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline zukbilly

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 12:00:30 PM »
start on the stick its a little harder but once you learn to use the stick the mig will be ez just my 2 cents

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
o2 and gas with the rod or stick

Are talking about stick arc welding or oxy-acetylene welding?
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 01:48:45 PM »
Good luck. I'm taking a fabrication class this semester at school and we just started welding and we are working on arc welding right now.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline DILYSI Dave

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 02:30:09 PM »
No specific advise other than listen to the instructor and have fun.  Much like driving a Jeep, the only way you get good at welding is to put in the time.  It's a great skill to have though.

So-Bad-Im-Good

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 03:08:55 PM »
Nw I am and have been a weder/fabricator for about 18 years,so the best advice I can give you is spend the money and get an instant flash helmet.You can see your mig tip and your rod before you strike an arc.Mig is the easiest,the "stick",and the tig.Gas welding with a brazen rod is simple once you learn how to move and hold the rod.

Always make sure you have a clean surface,like Matt told you.If you are stick welding make sure all the all the "slag" is cleaned off before you put the second pass on,if you don't your weld will be weak.

Just my 2 cents worth.
                                                                 Jon

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »
o2 and gas with the rod or stick

Are talking about stick arc welding or oxy-acetylene welding?

oxy-acetylene..but I only used it once or twice...I'll get a few pics up later, I made sort of a scale model(we used 1/4" rod) of a buggy, but ran out of time so its not finished..

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 04:16:44 PM »
btw, what volt mig would I need to weld tube DOM? I would love to get a welder, but I have a buddy who has a welder in the family and I think he would let us use one whenever we want just about..

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 05:01:30 PM »
btw, what volt mig would I need to weld tube DOM? I would love to get a welder, but I have a buddy who has a welder in the family and I think he would let us use one whenever we want just about..

If you have the money and a run of 230 in the garage, I'd start out with a big machine to begin with. If not, you'll probably end up replacing it anyway.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline nwcj5

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 06:32:43 PM »
full frame:

weld from yesterday (think it was my first):

weld from today ( I had a couple tack welds better than this but they aren't as big):

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Sasquatch

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 07:42:59 AM »
If you need some scrap pieces to weld on let me know.  I can snag some stuff out of the dumpster here big enough for you to run a bead on.

Also, if you're looking to buy a welding mask or even a welder you can get it from my company cheaper than if you order it directly from Miller.

Let me know what you're after and I might be able to work something out of the sales department.
Seth

Baby, House, Jeep... In that order....  Unfortunately.

97 TJ Sport (Sold)
06 LJ (Sold)
07 JKU

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM