BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morris Mountain January 16-18th 2009 Discussion  (Read 71708 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
Re: Morris Mountain January 16-18th 2009 Discussion
« Reply #240 on: January 09, 2009, 01:17:53 PM »
So guys... it's gonna be freakin freezing next weekend. Can anybody recommend a battery powered or 1 lb. propane bottle tent heaters?

A 20 degree sleeping bag should be toasty!
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #241 on: January 09, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »
looks like they keep lowering the chance of rain for thurs/fri.  Dry and cold will be better than wet and warm (for wheeling at least)
Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #242 on: January 09, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »
Will, check with Doug about a bag. He bought 2 for the trip last week and said he was going to return them. I think he broke the zippers though. :D I suggest going to wally world and buyin a cheap 20 bag then return it. ;) I will more than likely go. Briggs would be heart broke if we did not come down. Might come fri night if it is not too cold. Me, fine, Briggs is the issue. So answer me this... are there bypasses for the obsticles? If so I may just wheel around and not do anything dumb. :D ::)
I've grown tired of this.

BigJerm

« Reply #243 on: January 09, 2009, 02:51:38 PM »
The way the park is set up u have a main path. And all the obstacles are off to the side. This isn't to say the main path is all 2wd but it is not a hard core trail either. Now depending on your gear problem the other side of the park has a long steep hill climb to get to more trails...

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »
Will, if a 20 degree bag isn't warm enough, boil some water over the fire right before you go to bed, pour it into a Nalgene and toss it in your bag. It fakes body heat pretty well for a while. If you are extreme, do like Bear Grills and replace boiled water with fresh urine :P
- Jimmy

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »
Jimmy, I use a method similar. I have a P bottle so I do not have to get up at night. Then if I need the warmth. Put it in the sack. Now what I do is take my jacket (pullover) and put it in my bag then my feet and it helps a ton since most people have cold feet while campin. Also can take rocks, wrap in foil, put by fire then put in the bag. Smaller river rocks work well. And one more thing... if you sleep in your skibbies then you are usually warmer since it lets more body heat out. But to each his own.

mdo817

« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2009, 03:08:39 PM »
Will, check with Doug about a bag. He bought 2 for the trip last week and said he was going to return them. I think he broke the zippers though. :D I suggest going to wally world and buyin a cheap 20 bag then return it. ;) I will more than likely go. Briggs would be heart broke if we did not come down. Might come fri night if it is not too cold. Me, fine, Briggs is the issue. So answer me this... are there bypasses for the obsticles? If so I may just wheel around and not do anything dumb. :D ::)
There are bypasses, some take 4 wheel drive like Jerm said. We all have straps(LOL), If yall got me over the Mountain, I'm sure we can get you where you need to go there. So that is a yes, we will see ya?

mdo817

« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2009, 03:10:51 PM »
So guys... it's gonna be freakin freezing next weekend. Can anybody recommend a battery powered or 1 lb. propane bottle tent heaters

I recomend the Holiday Inn Express, but I'm a wus.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2009, 03:11:30 PM »
And one more thing... if you sleep in your skibbies then you are usually warmer since it lets more body heat out. But to each his own.

Thank you. No one agrees with me on that one. I just laugh when everyone else is cold. I guess us young guys don't have to worry about a pee bottle :P
- Jimmy

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2009, 03:27:25 PM »
Jimmy, you are one of the few that knows the truth about skibbies! :D As for the pee bottle... As long as I have been campin that has to be one of the best things I have ever done. When it's 25 outside and you gotta go, would you rather get up, freeze captain winky or roll over and go? Us "older" guys know what's up. :D

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »
I bought a "20 degree" bag from Walmart last year. Nice mummy bag. At Morris Mountain last year I had a fleece bag on inside of that. It was still pretty nipply. I think I may do the rock and tin foil thing. If you guys hear a whelp followed by "son of a   !!!!!!" then you know what it is  ;)
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline camper

• Visitor
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2009, 03:47:39 PM »
Also can take rocks, wrap in foil, put by fire then put in the bag. Smaller river rocks work well.

You gotta watch out about putting wet rocks in a fire.  Sometimes they explode....steam is a powerful force.

I've put hot water in the nalgeen, but it still gets cold before long.  I've pissed in a bottle too, but then I don't want to use the bottle anymore... :D.  I had good results with the therma patches from walgreens.  Peel em and stick em to your t-shirt.  They get pretty hot, so better to keep something between your skin and the patch.  They last a while....don't take up much room in a pack.

The main thing is to get your body off the ground and keep your head warm.  I have a therma rest air matress for backpacking and a walmart air matress for car camping....I kind of hope it's gonna be cold.
Steve....'98 TJ sport

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM