BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Give me some ideas on where to wheel/camp!  (Read 631 times)

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
Give me some ideas on where to wheel/camp!
« on: January 13, 2009, 01:19:25 PM »
Unfortunately due to the amount of girls wanting to go camping this weekend I'm going to be unable to make it to Morris Mountain... The short of it is that the boss wants a nice relaxing weekend to camp and hike with the girlfriends. At least there is one other Jeep going so us boys can go have a little fun in the dirt.

What was I doing again? Oh, yeah, We were planning on heading up to Amicalola to the primitive sites that me and hilldweller stayed at a while back.  I don't know of much hiking in the area though since I'm not from around there.  I also just saw the other thread about camping around Delonaga (sp? I'm not southern  :P) and want some opinions on where to go for the long weekend.

Here's the details of what I'm looking for:
Needs to have fairly private primitive campsites. Want to have a weekend away from it all...
Hiking trails for the girls.
I would love to have some rocks to legally play on.  The more trails the better.
Needs to be in the northern half of Georgia.

I know there is Old Bucktown Rd. and another up around Amicalola which would be fun.  We're looking for stuff that a couple of stockers can enjoy and not have to worry to much about damage.  Remember, relaxing weekend...

So were are all the amazing super secret spots to go?  Google maps, GPS coordinates, ect. would be greatly appreciated!  The best suggestion (that's not where I'm already planning, lol) wins a beer of it's suggester's choice.

PS, anyone from Tech on these boards?

BigJerm

Re: Give me some ideas on where to wheel/camp!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:23:24 PM »
I mean Amicolla sounds perfect. You have your remote sites, trails and you have the hiking trails around the park to hike and the hike to the start of the AT trail is right in that area as well! If you go this weekend pack warm my friend, you might be looking at snow in N. GA. 

EDIT**

I know there are some trails up there. Go through this and see if you can find some listed for a better discription. Old Bucktown and Nimblewill come together at the 3 way there is the trail going back to the park and one headed up the mountain (i think that goes into the start of the AT trail).

http://www.backpacker.com/destinations/category/all/53
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:30:04 PM by BigJerm »

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:28:52 PM »
I'm hoping for snow.  Show these southerners what cold really is.  I'm from and used to go camping every January in Northern Ohio so I know what to expect as far as packing for cold goes.

(edit: I'm stupid)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:31:52 PM by wtheonew »

BigJerm

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »
check my edited post above. I am at work so my internet time is limited. I can help more when I get home if needed!

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 01:42:07 PM »
Ah, cool.  I've been up Nimblewill, but to Amicaliua Mt Rd instead of Old Bucktown since I was alone.  I'm up for the better part of three days with another Jeep so I'll have more time to explore.

I also see that the AT goes through that intersection so that looks like a good place to start a hike.  Go from there to the falls and back maybe since the girls want to see them.

So equate Old Bucktown to a Tellico trail so that I can have a rough estimate before we go.  I know it's easier then most, but not exactly.

Thanks for the site, has already been helpful.

Edit:
http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripId=47405

Does anyone know if it is possible, or practical, to get to WPT010, 012, or 013 that are labeled on that map by Jeep?  It's a decent drive from where I stayed last time to there and it would definitely be nice to stay closer while still being out in the middle of nowhere.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:51:07 PM by wtheonew »

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »
The falls has more stairs than one could handle.  :) Plenty of hiking trails through and around the park, plus the AT is there. I still havent made it up to those roads yet. Been to the falls plenty. Have fun.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BigJerm

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:15:08 PM »
Old bucktown road... Simple man. Mainly some wash out areas, small rocks. I did it in the rubicon, no lockers, the weekend I got it.

I must warn, if u make it to the start of the AT trail the start in GA and finish in Maine has been called some of the hardest sections of the trail. I know here there is one crazy hill climb where folks toss gear off to make it up! But I think that is a few miles from the nimblewill bucktown intersection.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 04:07:41 PM »
Just head over to blood mountain for a good view. Lot's of spider trails for the Jeep in that area as well. ;)
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 04:16:34 PM »
I have almost made some new ones driving down blood mtn. That place has some nice views though.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »
oh yeah!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Jeff65SS

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 08:52:01 PM »
Tray Mtn in that same area has a lot of trails/unkept forest roads on it. In fact, Tray Mountain Rd is the name of the road leading up onto the mountain. Theres some good primitive camping up there as well.
'06 Jeep Wrangler X

BigJerm

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 09:10:26 PM »
thanks for the tip. I check the place on Google Earth and the area looks awesome! Anna Ruby Falls Rd looks like some good sights at the end with a little hike

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM