BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: RIVER ROCK ORV: March 13-15 Discussion  (Read 33246 times)

mdo817

Re: RIVER ROCK ORV: March 13-15 Discussion
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2009, 04:12:07 PM »
Hey Will I just washed the XJ so it's ready to hit rocks not MUD! {toast}

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2009, 05:09:24 PM »
Hey Will I just washed the XJ so it's ready to hit rocks not MUD! {toast}

Same here man!  {toast}  haha

So Kyle and I swapped his radio into my Jeep today and it wouldn't register on the SWR either. I'm thinking since I've tried so many grounds it's gotta be my cable, but what could be wrong with it? It doesn't have any cuts that I can see, but for awhile it was getting closed between the tailgate and the tub (It's not anymore). I looked over that area and there are no kinks or anthing, but who the heck knows. I gotta get a volt meter I guess and see if the ground is good. If it is, I'll buy a new coax I suppose.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »
Will, if you ride with me to (hopefully) get that truck, there are a few big truck stops in Jackson that carry lots of CB stuff
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

mdo817

« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2009, 07:05:13 PM »
The is also the CB shop in McDonough where I bought my XJ radio. Could be a bad antenna, have you tried using Kyle's antenna? If we get that truck Saturday the more help the better, it's going to be a pain in the arse to load. I do have a winch on my trailer though.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »
The is also the CB shop in McDonough where I bought my XJ radio. Could be a bad antenna, have you tried using Kyle's antenna? If we get that truck Saturday the more help the better, it's going to be a pain in the arse to load. I do have a winch on my trailer though.

Nope, didn't think about using Kyle's antenna. How can those things go bad though? There's nothing physically wrong with it as I can tell. It's a 4' Firestick adjustable tip. I'll try using Kyle's though and see what happens.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Rockinwrangler

• Visitor
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2009, 08:14:53 PM »
It could be 1 of a thousand.  The wire that is wrapped around the antenna may be broken.  Check all of your connedtions.  Especially if you are using a spring and or your antenna mount may be loose or something.  I have know of some antenna's that had to be grounded.  Some come from the factory with an external ground wire that you can ground back to the mount.  When you turn the radio on do you get squelch when or is it quite??

You can take a jumper wire and hold it to the base of the antenna and then find a good ground on the jeep..  If you hear a difference on the radio this could be the problem.

You can also buy a Francis antenna that needs no adjustment for about 18 bucks at most t-stops..  I have a 4' and I have no problems at all.  Unless no one has said anything.  I use a Cobra all in one and I am not too impressed but it serves the purpose and it saves space.

When I drove a truck I ran a Cobra 29 Limited LTD Classic with dual francis antennas and a 300 watt linear..  Could talk about 12 - 15 miles on a clear day. 

I run a small uniden and a firestick on the camper and it does okay.  If you don't have it figured out by River Rock I will be glad to help check it out.  I have a spare firestick in the shop that I have used before.  I can bring it and see if it helps. i may also have some coax.  If so I will through it in the camper..

One thing for sure..  It is only about 3 componets..

Radio, Coax, Antenna..  easy uh....

Just some ideas...   
"A well built rig is one that is road worthy after a day on the trail"

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2009, 08:21:20 PM »
Will, I have 3 magnetic antennas here, and they all have very low SWR on a Jeep hood.  It's simple way to go, but I hope you haven't damaged your radio.  The hobby shop in lawrenceville has primo stuff, with tunable antennas in every length you could want, so let us know if ya need something.

http://www.bandbhobby.com/cb/cbpage.htm

mdo817

« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2009, 08:35:46 PM »
Will, I have 3 magnetic antennas here, and they all have very low SWR on a Jeep hood.  It's simple way to go, but I hope you haven't damaged your radio.  The hobby shop in lawrenceville has primo stuff, with tunable antennas in every length you could want, so let us know if ya need something.

I might be interested in one of the mag mount ant.'s Doug, I need to put a radio in the Ram, but haven't found a place I want to mount an ant.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »

I might be interested in one of the mag mount ant.'s Doug, I need to put a radio in the Ram, but haven't found a place I want to mount an ant.

You can "bah-ry" one buddy. 

Offline GusaGus

• Visitor
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2009, 12:14:40 PM »
It could be 1 of a thousand.  The wire that is wrapped around the antenna may be broken.  Check all of your connedtions.  Especially if you are using a spring and or your antenna mount may be loose or something.  I have know of some antenna's that had to be grounded.  Some come from the factory with an external ground wire that you can ground back to the mount.  When you turn the radio on do you get squelch when or is it quite??

You can take a jumper wire and hold it to the base of the antenna and then find a good ground on the jeep..  If you hear a difference on the radio this could be the problem.

You can also buy a Francis antenna that needs no adjustment for about 18 bucks at most t-stops..  I have a 4' and I have no problems at all.  Unless no one has said anything.  I use a Cobra all in one and I am not too impressed but it serves the purpose and it saves space.

When I drove a truck I ran a Cobra 29 Limited LTD Classic with dual francis antennas and a 300 watt linear..  Could talk about 12 - 15 miles on a clear day. 

I run a small uniden and a firestick on the camper and it does okay.  If you don't have it figured out by River Rock I will be glad to help check it out.  I have a spare firestick in the shop that I have used before.  I can bring it and see if it helps. i may also have some coax.  If so I will through it in the camper..

One thing for sure..  It is only about 3 componets..

Radio, Coax, Antenna..  easy uh....

Just some ideas...   

all good things to look at, plus one that i have missed is the little plastic washer under the antenna if it's crushed out the signal might not be even making it to the antenna.  =ing high SWR
98 TJ
3.5" lift
locked and locked
36" iroks on bead locks
custom cage and more

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2009, 12:18:20 PM »
it might be the space between the seat and the mic that might be the problem

mdo817

« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2009, 12:18:52 PM »
I forgot that one as well, that would be grounding out the antenna. Good thought.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM