BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: brake lines failed yesterday wont crank today....  (Read 1202 times)

Offline big94yj

• Visitor
brake lines failed yesterday wont crank today....
« on: February 26, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »
yesterday on my way home from school i went to press the brakes ad my foot went to the floor. i ended up coasting to a stop after dogeing about ten cars at a red light... last night i went out and got me new extended braided steel brake lines and installed them last night. but i made a mess with the brake fluid in the engine campartment. i sprayed it out with water... today when i got in my car it started up fine and about a mile down the road i go to miss winners for a chicken biskit. i notice it sounds like its firing funny when i ordered i turned of my car and when i tried to crank it back up it wouldnt start. sounded like it was trying but wouldnt turn over and crank. i pucshed it out of the way but i dont know what it could be... :hlp
94 yj
3inch body lift and 4 inch suspension
35"  x-terrains
rhinolined interior
genright tube fenders up front.
(more just dont feel like listing)

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
Re: brake lines failed yesterday wont crank today....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »
I would be willing to put my money on that you got the dizzy wet. Check to see if you are getting any spark.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

BigJerm

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:04 AM »
You are bleeding the brakes correct? Got to make sure all the air is out of the lines.

No clue on the crank part...

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:36:41 AM »
Agreed, if you disconnect a brake line YOU MUST BLEED THE BRAKES. Let the engine dry out and try to crank. Brake fluid will eat paint also, so make sure you get that off good.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline big94yj

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »
i bled the brakwes last night with a little help from my sister... haha the brakes work great now im just waiting for school to get out today to see if it crancks up if it doesnt then i need my buddy to give me ride to work till i can get back and look at it. if the distributer was wet would it take long to dry out?
94 yj
35"  x-terrains
rhinolined interior

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:23:36 PM »
Shouldnt. I washed under the hood at a DIY car wash once on my old BII. It was dead for about an hour.  :-[
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

78gmc

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:58:38 PM »
take ascrew driver and remove the screws on the dist. cap Don't remove the wires there ez to get crossed up. take a rag or paper towl and dry the inside of the cap out. thats all ya gotta do if you get water in the engine bay and it starts skipping won't crank. you can spray a little wd40 in there also. it disperses water

Offline RamIt

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »
I am the buddy that gets to take you to work today...Hopefully it will start.
1997 Dodge Ram single cab sort bed
3 inch lift
Rancho shocks
Grill gaurd
KC baja lights
35 TSL SS
American racing wheels
Redneck CAI

Offline big94yj

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 04:24:59 PM »
i got back to my car and tried to crank it and it started right up so i bet it was the distributer being wet.  {toast}
94 yj
35"  x-terrains
rhinolined interior

Offline big94yj

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 12:27:52 AM »
new problem now when i left work my check engine light went back on. i drove home and i could notice again it didnt seem to be firing right and it wasnt accelerating right or and skipping. when it got dark enought i went out side and started it up and looked for any sparks in the plug wires. there was one wire glowing almost and it was connected to the altinator. i waited till the wire coolded down enough to touch and it was loose. iwhen i tried to tighten it  the nut and the end of the bold snap right off... i look at it and it seem badly corroided and then i looked at the wire the was a splice near the end of the wire and the medal end was badly corroided aswell.  and now it will not  start either (again) ive had the worst luck with cars this week.... >:( whats should i do to fix it aor temperarely fix it so i can drive it to a shop... :hlp :hlp :hlp :hlp
94 yj
35"  x-terrains
rhinolined interior

ranger11

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 12:57:50 AM »
I would replace the alt. and cut the wire back a few inches and splice a new wire on. When a wire doesnt make a good connection it will get very hot a possibly cause a fire. The alt. is easy to change and should be around 100.00. Dont pay a shop 250 to do it.

Offline big94yj

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 10:08:08 AM »
do you really think that it could be the altinator thats bad. my battery seem to be fine. im going to replace the wire.  could the altinator be making my jeep not run smooth?
94 yj
35"  x-terrains
rhinolined interior

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM