BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Gentlemen I feel the time has come!  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Sasquatch

• Visitor
Gentlemen I feel the time has come!
« on: March 03, 2009, 07:44:57 AM »
Taxes are coming back and the Jeep needs some love.

Here's the plan:
BDS 3" Suspension Lift
5 - 33" x 12.5" x 15"  BFG MTR's

(rumor has it there could be some rocker guards in the works too)   {woohoo}

Already talking with Albert up at 4wheel parts.  He's going to sort me out as far as what I'm going to need to complete it.  Any suggestions if I go the route of new wheels?

For the record... The LJ is still just as stock as it was at Tellico back in November.  I like the Moab wheels that are on it but I'm not sure I can run the tires I want.

I know alot of you guys suggest armor before lift but with the baby hanging around I'm going asthetic first, but I should have the rest of the armor I'll need by the time I can get out ot the trail again.

I'm hanging on every word of the trail ride threads!  Keep posting pics!!!   {popcorn}

Seth

Baby, House, Jeep... In that order....  Unfortunately.

97 TJ Sport (Sold)
06 LJ (Sold)
07 JKU

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Gentlemen I feel the time has come!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »
BDS 3" Suspension Lift
Any suggestions if I go the route of new wheels?
 going asthetic first, but I should have the rest of the armor I'll need by the time I can get out ot the trail again.

Don't forget you'll need a SYE (Slip yoke eliminator) and CV shaft with a 3" lift or bad vibes will haunt you!

BFG makes the KM2, and Goodyear makes the MTR's.  I recommend the KM2's, but no bad choices here. 

Wheels? Have Moab's now?  Moabs are 16's, and you can run a lot of tire on them.  You'll need some spacers behind the wheels to off set them to reduce/eliminate tire rub. 

My KMC beadlocks would look great on that Unlimited!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:02:48 AM by Doug »

Offline Sasquatch

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:35:54 AM »
BDS 3" Suspension Lift
Any suggestions if I go the route of new wheels?
 going asthetic first, but I should have the rest of the armor I'll need by the time I can get out ot the trail again.

Don't forget you'll need a SYE (Slip yoke eliminator) and CV shaft with a 3" lift or bad vibes will haunt you!

BFG makes the KM2, and Goodyear makes the MTR's.  I recommend the KM2's, but no bad choices here. 

Wheels? Have Moab's now?  Moabs are 16's, and you can run a lot of tire on them.  You'll need some spacers behind the wheels to off set them to reduce/eliminate tire rub. 

My KMC beadlocks would look great on that Unlimited!

This is why us noobs post.

{toast}
Seth

97 TJ Sport (Sold)
06 LJ (Sold)
07 JKU

Offline Rowingfish87

• Visitor
    • My pictures
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:40:53 AM »
you have an lj...so the rear drive shaft is alot longer than us tj folks. you may be able to get away without a SYE and cv drive shaft (~$500) and just throw in a few washers on your t-case skid bolts to lower it a 1/4" or so.

x2 on the wheel spacers. you will def need some to run those stock wheels with the 12.5" wide tires.

keep us posted!
2002 TJ 4.0L/NV3550/NP231/F-D30/R-D44
36x12.50x15 TSLs
RC 2.5" Lift

1998 Ram 2500 4x4 12v CTD

GANTR Member #2

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:02:35 AM »
km2s for a 16" rim are about twice the money. Be cheaper to by some 15" wheels and tires. Sell the Moabs for alot of money back in your pocket.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:10:30 AM »
you have an lj...so the rear drive shaft is alot longer than us tj folks. you may be able to get away without a SYE and cv drive shaft (~$500) and just throw in a few washers on your t-case skid bolts to lower it a 1/4" or so.

Good point Fish!

Offline Sasquatch

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 09:44:40 AM »
Okay, revise that.  Did some checking when you said Moab's are 16's.  Turns out you're right.  And I don't have Moabs, I have Ravines. (Blow to the ego) 

Keep it coming!!!  I need to know wtf I am doing!  I would like to have myself sorted out by the time I get down to talking numbers with Mosdif.

Thanks again for helping to straighten me out guys.
Seth

97 TJ Sport (Sold)
06 LJ (Sold)
07 JKU

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 10:25:37 AM »
^^^ This is Seth.

<<< This is not. :P

Thank you, carry on.  {btt}

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »
Okay, revise that.  Did some checking when you said Moab's are 16's.  Turns out you're right.  And I don't have Moabs, I have Ravines. (Blow to the ego) 

Keep it coming!!!  I need to know wtf I am doing!  I would like to have myself sorted out by the time I get down to talking numbers with Mosdif.

Thanks again for helping to straighten me out guys.

Ravines are nice wheels.  I like they as much as Moabs, and tires are plentiful and less expensive!

With an LJ budget build, I would go with as much lift as I could from the start, considering your wheelbase and we always want a little more of everything, a little bigger tire, a little more clearance. 

If you can't afford the SYE eliminator and CV shaft now, I think you should stay at around a 2" budget lift. Low cost, and easy to install. 

Offline GusaGus

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 11:03:46 AM »

x2 on the wheel spacers. you will def need some to run those stock wheels with the 12.5" wide tires.

keep us posted!

you really don't NEED a SYE and CV shaft even on a TJ.  i have been running my TJ with 4.5 lift for years with out them.  now if i ever get off my a$$ i would diffently like to get them installed, but those are not a needed item.  stock rims and big tires on the other hand equals needing wheel spacers in the rear.
98 TJ
3.5" lift
locked and locked
36" iroks on bead locks
custom cage and more

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 11:26:27 AM »
you really don't NEED a SYE and CV shaft even on a TJ.  i have been running my TJ with 4.5 lift for years with out them.  now if i ever get off my a$$ i would diffently like to get them installed, but those are not a needed item.  stock rims and big tires on the other hand equals needing wheel spacers in the rear.

You drive 70 on the highway vibe free?

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »
He has an LJ. Not sure if they are the same when lifted.
I've grown tired of this.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM