BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Need advice and opinions!  (Read 1769 times)

Offline krawler09

• Visitor
  • Weekend Wheeler
Re: Need advice and opinions!
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 07:19:51 PM »
All this FORD talk is bringing me down. :P
LMAO!!! You got that right.
You need to go with the first post but instead build a motor that will last.... a Chevy 350! I've seen lots of fords with a chevy motor in them and they run like a bat out of hell and cheaper too. Thats my 2cents
" If You Have To Ask Why We Do What We Do...Then You Wouldn't Understand The Answer..."

Offline Logan

• Visitor
  • Hit it like you mean it
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 12:50:27 AM »
You need to go with the first post but instead build a motor that will last.... a Chevy 350! I've seen lots of fords with a chevy motor in them and they run like a bat out of hell and cheaper too. Thats my 2cents

The only reason Chevy engines are so popular is because any idiot can build them {nln}
93 F-250 tow pig

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 06:05:36 PM »

The only reason Chevy engines are so popular is because any idiot can build them {nln}

No offense, but there is not much difference in building a SBF & a SBC   {hihi}

Chevy just doesnt know which end of the motor the distributor belongs.  {no}
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 07:12:25 PM »
That really is the only difference. That, and the exhaust ports are in a dumb place.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

mdo817

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 07:17:45 PM »
Chevy just doesnt know which end of the motor the distributor belongs. 

True Dat! That's maybe why I drive what I do now, it don't even need no stinkin' distributor.
Capable of making big horsepower and torque, with minor tuning and bigger exhaust for EGT's.

So-Bad-Im-Good

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 07:24:19 PM »
I hate to disagree with Matt and Jimmy,but I built my SBC to 450HP for 2 grand,my brother-in-law built his SBF to 425 HP for $2600.Besides with a ford you can only use certain parts from certain years.With a Chevy parts from 1955 thru present will enterchange.A 351M and a 351 Cleveland a totally 2 different motors.The cleveland motor uses a small block bell housing,it is basiclly a windsor block with cleveland heads.The modified will only work with a modified bellhousing.
 Just my 2 cents.
                                                   Jon

So-Bad-Im-Good

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 07:28:23 PM »
First
                                              On
                                              Race
                                              Day (to be eliminated)

Offline Logan

• Visitor
  • Hit it like you mean it
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 10:18:45 PM »

No offense, but there is not much difference in building a SBF & a SBC   {hihi}

Chevy just doesnt know which end of the motor the distributor belongs.  {no}

Haha, it was just a joke, hence the  {nln}. I honestly have no brand loyalty, I've had ford, Chevy, and Chysler, and they all have their own quirks and are pains in the a$$ in their own ways.
93 F-250 tow pig

Offline Lhub36

• Visitor
  • Nope wasn't me
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »
Have you considered a 390 for that rig? They hold up well, easy to work on. Most parts from a 352, 360 will fit on it.
I have one in a 70 F250, 3 on the tree. Has a d60 rear end. Only 3.73 gears though.
Lenn

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 04:01:15 PM »
Confederate,

I installed a 460 in my old 79 F150. First thing you will find is that Ford never put a 460 in the F150, so you will either have to make or buy all new brackets, motor mounts, oil pan and custom headers. Back when I did mine the only decent headers that would work a set of fender well headers, which you may or may not have to modify brake lines, fender or steering linkage on the driver side. I bought a crate engine from Jasper Engines that was supposedly putting out 375 to 400 HP and never changed or modified the stock axles and they survived for over 3 years.

You have to be careful with marine engines, they are typically built to run at higher RPM's and sometimes run in reverse rotation. I think somebody already mentioned they have low compression and most of the torque occurs at the low end, which is good for crawling but sucks for daily driving. If your just wanting to swap the engine in and go you need to try and find one out of another truck. Another thing to consider is that a 460 is very big and very heavy. Personally, if I was to do it again I would consider using a 302. Their are so many aftermarket parts for these engines and they can built to handle up to 500HP.

But then again there's nothing like that big block feeling when your smashing the pedal down to the floorboard ;D
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline krawler09

• Visitor
  • Weekend Wheeler
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 05:54:18 PM »
Confederate,

I installed a 460 in my old 79 F150. First thing you will find is that Ford never put a 460 in the F150, so you will either have to make or buy all new brackets, motor mounts, oil pan and custom headers. Back when I did mine the only decent headers that would work a set of fender well headers, which you may or may not have to modify brake lines, fender or steering linkage on the driver side. I bought a crate engine from Jasper Engines that was supposedly putting out 375 to 400 HP and never changed or modified the stock axles and they survived for over 3 years.

You have to be careful with marine engines, they are typically built to run at higher RPM's and sometimes run in reverse rotation. I think somebody already mentioned they have low compression and most of the torque occurs at the low end, which is good for crawling but sucks for daily driving. If your just wanting to swap the engine in and go you need to try and find one out of another truck. Another thing to consider is that a 460 is very big and very heavy. Personally, if I was to do it again I would consider using a 302. Their are so many aftermarket parts for these engines and they can built to handle up to 500HP.

But then again there's nothing like that big block feeling when your smashing the pedal down to the floorboard ;D

Yes in 79 they did put a 460 in the f-150. I actually went and looked at one that had one in it when I was looking for a truck. Just a little info
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 05:55:49 PM by krawler09 »
" If You Have To Ask Why We Do What We Do...Then You Wouldn't Understand The Answer..."

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 06:47:37 PM »
They did put them in the 2 wheel drive trucks, but not in the 4x4's from 73 thru 79!
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM