BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Yet again ANOTHER broken Jeep.  (Read 641 times)

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Yet again ANOTHER broken Jeep.
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:55:14 PM »
Well sadly enough  :'( :'( i got back last weekend from playing around in the snow and i parked my jeep in the garadge and the next morning there was oil all under my jeep! It apears to be coming from between the transmission and motor. i am assuming the Rear main seal. it is a 1995 yj w/ a 4cyl and 5 speed ax5 with almost 200K on both. So now what to do??? should i change the rear main seal which i have heard i a complete pain in the Butt? or should i park it for about a year and start to save some dough for a engine swap if i swap it, what should i replace it w/ 4.3/5.3 or what else? i have almost no knowledge about motors other than the basics

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

ranger11

Re: Yet again ANOTHER broken Jeep.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:57:49 PM »
How much earl?

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:59:32 PM »
uh... probably 1.5 qts mabey more... :'(
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

ranger11

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »
yeah that a rear main. I personally would change it out.

mdo817

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »
The rear main seal is just a good day job if worked hard, I would plan on messing with it over a couple of days myself. I say this using a 4.0 as a comparison, not sure if the 2.5 is the same. It's a time consuming job but the worst part is removing and replacing the tranny. As for engines lots of folks on Pirate really like the 4.3, but that is a major job that will open lots of other options such as passenger side drop full width axles.

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:17:10 PM »
actually i already bought everything to change it out. i have a new rear main, new motor oil, new filter, new oil pan gasket, new trans fluid, and a brand new tube of rtv. i thought it was a 2 piece which i was told is pritty simple. but its not its a one piece. so if you dont mind me asking what all is involved inchanging this out? do i have to pull the motor or can i just drop the trans. i was also told if im gonna do this i should go ahead and get a new clutch since mine is the original... anything else and what do you think someone would charge to change this out? sorry for all the Q's but i really have no idea.

ranger11

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 10:19:56 PM »
I  THINK i may be wrong but if its a 2 piece you do not have to remove the trans. you can drop the oil pan then remove the last(near the tranny) main bearing cap and change it. 

mdo817

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 10:20:50 PM »
actually i already bought everything to change it out. i have a new rear main, new motor oil, new filter, new oil pan gasket, new trans fluid, and a brand new tube of rtv. i thought it was a 2 piece which i was told is pritty simple. but its not its a one piece. so if you dont mind me asking what all is involved inchanging this out? do i have to pull the motor or can i just drop the trans. i was also told if im gonna do this i should go ahead and get a new clutch since mine is the original... anything else and what do you think someone would charge to change this out? sorry for all the Q's but i really have no idea.
I would think the 1 piece might be easier to keep from leaking than the other 2 piece seals. You can just drop the tranny, I just looked at Alldata but there isn't a write up on the repair, they do shop shop charge time should be 4.6 hours including remove/reinstal of the tranny. Yes I would resurface the flywheel and change the clutch, unless you are sure that there is a engine swap in the near future.

ranger11

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:22:35 PM »
I would think the 1 piece might be easier to keep from leaking than the other 2 piece seals. You can just drop the tranny, I just looked at Alldata but there isn't a write up on the repair, they do shop shop charge time should be 4.6 hours including remove/reinstal of the tranny. Yes I would resurface the flywheel and change the clutch, unless you are sure that there is a engine swap in the near future.

I know on fords and chebys there are 2 different cranks or blocks that determine the seal.

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 10:25:06 PM »
no im not certain of a motor swap i really just want it back up and running. It is a 1 piece seal that i bought from Vatozone and they said that is wat is in it now. I asked about buying a 2 piece to make life a lil easier but they said that it came out w/ a 1 piece.

ranger11

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »
ok that meas you have to drop the trans....... Ps this is alot easier than an engine swap. But it will not net any hp or tq gains. I love engine swaps. Do a 351w.

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 10:31:26 PM »
haha ya i know... but it would be cheaper and easier for me so. looks like a new clutch set from autozone is about $120 is there anything wrong with these or should i spend $300+ on a centerforce?

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM