BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Tow Bar question  (Read 294 times)

Offline Alex

• Visitor
Tow Bar question
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:18:42 PM »
I am looking to build a tow bar for the TJ especially if i decide to keep it.  Do you think 2 5/8 hiems would be strong enough for where it mounts to the bumper? Also do you think my WK will have the balls to stop it without a brake assist?  Just looking for a cost effective way of getting the jeep to my home town without having to actually drive it.  Also, expect some new changes to the jeep if i can build the towbar. ;D   

ranger11

Re: Tow Bar question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »
Alex I dont think the wk would stop it if you had to stop real fast. The tj would push it. As far as the hiems I would think they would be strong enough and with  safety chains you should be good. But I think the real problem would be stopping it. Also what if you brake something like a tierod or link or anything else that would require the jeep to stay stable?

Offline Alex

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:30:53 PM »
Yea that is what i was worried about was stopping.  The brakes for it are like 800 and i could build a trailer for less than that.  Just looking for a cheap way to get the jeep home (3 and a half hour trip) 2 or 3 times a year without having to drive it.  Not to worried about stuff braaking as i have over built the major stuff.

ranger11

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:46:41 PM »
Yea that is what i was worried about was stopping.  The brakes for it are like 800 and i could build a trailer for less than that.  Just looking for a cheap way to get the jeep home (3 and a half hour trip) 2 or 3 times a year without having to drive it.  Not to worried about stuff braaking as i have over built the major stuff.

So you wouldnt be doing this to get to and from trails/parks? Thats what I was speaking of if something broke. Just pick up a cheap tow bar and mod it to fit the tj and see how it does around the neighborhood. You will know in the first few stops if it will do it. Wil it not work om a uhaul dolly? That would be the safest way.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »
^ I doubt it would fit on a u-haul dolly. Drew has a dolly and his xj won't fit on it with a D30 and 33's.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

ranger11

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »
^ I doubt it would fit on a u-haul dolly. Drew has a dolly and his xj won't fit on it with a D30 and 33's.

But he change the tires and it fit. ()()

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM