BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: I am back!  (Read 836 times)

RotorHead

Re: I am back!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 09:58:34 PM »
Congrats Jeremy.  {toast}

Offline CopperCrawler

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 07:13:52 AM »
Very nice!! {toast}
1999 TJ
2004 F-350 XLT, FX4, 4X4, 4"lift on 35s
2011 F-150 Supercrew Lariat, 4X4 (Wifes car)
And the Off Road transportation that NEVER gets stuck
1990 Tennessee Walking Horse - "JEZ"

Always remember our veterans!!  Even if you don't agree with the politics of what they are fighting for, they are someone who swore to give the ultimate sacrifice of their LIFE to defend the freedoms you and I enjoy everyday.

BigJerm

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 08:19:53 AM »
Went out and measured yesterday and it definitly has a 3" BL... not super excited about that. From what I can tell it was done right with the linkage, gas filler and radiator supports. I would much prefer a 1" BL but for now that will probably just have to wait. I like the idea of going LCG like Matt's TJ but I know I have the longer wheelbase so I might want a little more lift. Megan likes the current size of the Jeep but it feels to top heavy for me on the road already.

Offline Calvin

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 08:49:44 AM »
I once had a TJ with a 3" body lift, and it was kinda scary on the road.
98 XJ

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »
Adam has some Rubicon Express 3.5" coil springs.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline ADAM

• Visitor
  • I have lost my MIND!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 09:50:33 AM »
no those r sold at GATRfest!
Don't know what I got anymore...

Offline Rowingfish87

• Visitor
    • My pictures
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »
congrats  {toast}. nice lookin jeep (once all the chrome is gone).

as for the tire carrier, I carry my 36" TSL on a steal bead lock (100lbs or better) on my stock carrier around town and it seems fine. I take it off to go wheeling and leave it in the truck just in case.
2002 TJ 4.0L/NV3550/NP231/F-D30/R-D44
36x12.50x15 TSLs
RC 2.5" Lift

1998 Ram 2500 4x4 12v CTD

GANTR Member #2

BigJerm

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Matt I am thinking to go with 3" or 3.5" spring lift and 1" BL. Your opinions on that being the LCG guy here? Either way the lift part wont happen for awhile down the road, I plan to take care of bumpers first. Its like starting out fresh and not sure where to go. I don't really want to rock crawl with this one, more of just a trail type Jeep for now. With that being said I wonder if I need things like a winch after having one and never using it for anything more than what a tow strap could have (except Tellico but I had no business on Slickrock!) done and it would save me alot of money but it is also a great peace of mind having it. I also realize that since I don't plan to be crazy on the rocks I can put off the steering box skid, gas tank skid and rock rails. For now the plans look something like:

-CB radio
-Front bumper (possible winch ready or one that can add a winch plate later is the likely choice)
-Rear bumper (non tire carrier)
-Steering box skid

Then later I can see things like:
-Aussie locker up front
-Changing the lift up (as mentioned above)
-Maybe a winch?

Either way, this will happen slowly. Looking at the calender I have to work on every scheduled ride through December so I wont be on the trails much. I have already fixed the tire carrier and removed the chrome tail light covers and got Megan grab handles. She seems to be into this jeep as well since it is her dream jeep so that might help funds show up a little quicker (she hates all the chrome too).

mdo817

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 03:19:43 PM »
Sweet, another 42 page build thread coming, before the first mod. ;D As far as the front bumper goes Jerm, YJ/TJ bumpers either will work, you can get the cheaper rock crawler style, you can probably sell those tubes for enough money to buy some decent bumpers, and the winch plate will bolt straight to the frame rails, no real need to buy a winch ready bumper. I would hold off on the winch also, especially since Megan aint going to let you rock crawl this pretty Jeep, for the less than the price of a winch you could get a Rough Country lift kit and ditch that stupid body lift. There is my .02 that you didn't ask for. Love the Jeep. {toast}

BigJerm

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 03:30:03 PM »
What are you talking about? I put in grab handles on the 3rd day so mods have started  ;D

Didn't know YJ bumpers will fit the TJ but thanks for that tip. How much do you think the chrome will sale for? Its in decent shape but if someone wants it looking new it will need a polish. I was thinking $150-200 for front and rear together? I see a few on CL for $300ish but they have been reposted several times so they must not be moving. The chrome steps will have to stay until I can add some kind of rocker protection with a step but that is way down the road.

Offline pachary

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 05:07:14 PM »
I went searching and about all I could find was the product on Quad

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12203_01_07.htm

It says it can hold the 35" so I am going to try and adjust it tomorrow to see if thats the issue. I would love to save the cash and not have to do a rear bumper/carrier combo if possible. i just want to get rid of all the chrome!

Hung my 37" SSR from that with no issues, but I am running full corners and used a rec. hitch to support the tire also.
2005 TJ Unlimited

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 06:22:17 PM »
What are you talking about? I put in grab handles on the 3rd day so mods have started  ;D

Didn't know YJ bumpers will fit the TJ but thanks for that tip. How much do you think the chrome will sale for? Its in decent shape but if someone wants it looking new it will need a polish. I was thinking $150-200 for front and rear together? I see a few on CL for $300ish but they have been reposted several times so they must not be moving. The chrome steps will have to stay until I can add some kind of rocker protection with a step but that is way down the road.

Believe it or not there are quite a few folks that like those big bling pipes on the front & rear. With the 1" body I would go with about 2.5"-3" for the springs. You can run the 35s comfortably on 4" and minimum bump stops. Check into smitty built or procomp bumpers they are cheap. Smittybuilt has a nice stinger bumper out now for under 200.00.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM