BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Santa Crawls  (Read 12260 times)

Offline pfarmer

• Visitor
Re: Santa Crawls
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 10:16:18 PM »
I'm new to off roading. Where is this Santa Crawl located?

mdo817

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
I'm new to off roading. Where is this Santa Crawl located?
Choccolocco Mtn. Jacksonville Al.

Offline aareeyesee

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
Me and my wife are going to make this our first time out in the jeep instead of Beasley Knob. Please correct me if I am wrong but it appears from videos and maps that a new jeeper with 0 experience and 0 lockers would fair better here than Beasley? Thanks.

Offline Do Work 93 YJ

• Visitor
  • Ready To Ride
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 09:20:20 PM »
Been a really long time since I've been to Beasley knob so I could be wrong but I think you have it backwards. {ehm}
Do Work Aka Moon Man. What you lack in technique make up in throttle! Or a set of cheater tires.

My Build Threads
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=3683.msg62464#msg62464

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=6862.0

Offline Logan

• Visitor
  • Hit it like you mean it
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 11:09:46 PM »
Me and my wife are going to make this our first time out in the jeep instead of Beasley Knob. Please correct me if I am wrong but it appears from videos and maps that a new jeeper with 0 experience and 0 lockers would fair better here than Beasley? Thanks.
I would say it is likely the opposite, though both have a lot of opportunity for mild wheelers, Choccolocco has many more places for someone who is inexperienced to get themselves into bad situations. This won't be a issue if you stay with the group at either location though.
93 F-250 tow pig

mdo817

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 11:19:34 PM »
I would say it is likely the opposite, though both have a lot of opportunity for mild wheelers, Choccolocco has many more places for someone who is inexperienced to get themselves into bad situations. This won't be a issue if you stay with the group at either location though.
He won't want to stay with Micheals group at Chocco, trust me. ;D

Offline Logan

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 11:34:20 PM »

That depends on how willing he is for body damage and breakage. {popcorn}

I had fun trying to follow them at RR, but I destroyed a few parts in the process and scared the he!! out of my girlfriend. {toast}
Her first time ever rockcrawling, and I go on a night ride following Michael's group. The first obstacle they hit is Powerline hill. Were sitting at the bottom watching the linked Cherokee attempt the hard side. He can't find a good line so decides to take the bypass, she looks over at me and says "Are you gonna try that?", I look at her and say "maybe, I just want to pull up on it and see."  That ended in a broken mirror, flattened leaf springs, and needing a tug the last few feet. Oh yeah, and her deciding I'm off my rocker.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:50:10 PM by Logan »
93 F-250 tow pig

mdo817

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 12:40:09 AM »

I had fun trying to follow them at RR, but I destroyed a few parts in the process and scared the he!! out of my girlfriend. {toast}
Her first time ever rockcrawling, and I go on a night ride following Michael's group. The first obstacle they hit is Powerline hill. Were sitting at the bottom watching the linked Cherokee attempt the hard side. He can't find a good line so decides to take the bypass, she looks over at me and says "Are you gonna try that?", I look at her and say "maybe, I just want to pull up on it and see."  That ended in a broken mirror, flattened leaf springs, and needing a tug the last few feet. Oh yeah, and her deciding I'm off my rocker.
YJ, Open/Open on 33's wouldn't fair well with Micheal's group, you haven't rode with Chuck or Andy yet. :o

But that being said, don't be afraid to go to Chocco aareeyesee, there will be plenty of groups you could hook up and ride with. Just pull in to the camp area, look for a group about your size and talk with them. Be sure if you decide to ride with them let them know of your limited experience and I'm sure they would take care of you.

Offline Rowingfish87

• Visitor
    • My pictures
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 12:53:26 AM »
dang. I'm running out of vacation hours. I would love to make this ride. I want to get back to chocco and try and last more than 12 hours before fatal breakage for the weekend.

yall have fun and take a bunch of pics.  {toast}
2002 TJ 4.0L/NV3550/NP231/F-D30/R-D44
36x12.50x15 TSLs
RC 2.5" Lift

1998 Ram 2500 4x4 12v CTD

GANTR Member #2

Offline Logan

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 01:07:48 AM »

YJ, Open/Open on 33's wouldn't fair well with Micheal's group, you haven't rode with Chuck or Andy yet. :o

But that being said, don't be afraid to go to Chocco aareeyesee, there will be plenty of groups you could hook up and ride with. Just pull in to the camp area, look for a group about your size and talk with them. Be sure if you decide to ride with them let them know of your limited experience and I'm sure they would take care of you.

Guess I overlooked the lack of lockers {;-(}... That would likely limit him to the 1's, 2's, and some 3's, still a lot of trails and some great sights. {toast}
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:13:45 AM by Logan »
93 F-250 tow pig

Offline aareeyesee

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 07:46:05 AM »
Ok well, now I'm not sure what to do lol. Me and my wife love getting the tent out so that is +1 santa but blairsville is about 70miles closer than chocco +1 Beasley. I will not be trailer in and I have a strong preference for not trailering out. I suppose Beasley Knob is the winner because of the massive pain in the ass it would be to get my junk home if it breaks in Alabama.

Offline NOVI FED COUPE

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 09:23:40 AM »
Oh come on now Mark...were not that bad...we just like to have fun! Maybe I can last longer than a day this ride. Mountainside was a wasted trip for me! Oh well...shit happens.  {boohoo}

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM