BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Started my kitchen revamp  (Read 534 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
Started my kitchen revamp
« on: April 27, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
Whoever built my house really cheaped out on the kitchen (except for the appliances, which the PO installed right before she started falling behind on payments - Thanks!). I decided I want to do some upgrades, but without spending gobs of money since I can't take my kitchen with me if I ever move. So, I am doing a cheap-ass kitchen remodel.

My first step was to fix the cabinets. I used this product: http://www.lowes.com/pd_340516-90-258241_0__?productId=3350242&Ntt=rustoleum+cabinet&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Drustoleum%2Bcabinet and it is awesome. No sanding, no priming, and it seems pretty durable. Much nicer finish than just using typical house paint also. I went with an off-white color with a brown glaze to give it a distressed look.

Before:

After:

Next, after I find some decently priced cabinet hardware, I am going to try this on the counter: http://www.lowes.com/pd_1705-90-258283_0__?storeId=10151&Ntt=rustoleum+counter+java&UserSearch=rustoleum+counter+java&productId=3327520&N=0&catalogId=10051&langId=-1 It looks to be very similar to garage floor epoxy, so we'll see how it works out.

I priced out new cabinets, countertop, sink, faucet, etc at Lowes to get the look I am going for and it looks to be right at $22k. I'm looking at $2k including tile and paint, and I'll be able to do it in stages.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
Re: Started my kitchen revamp
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »
Let me know if you need a tile man. My wet saw has been collecting dust ;) I like the cabinet finish
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BigJerm

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:22:41 PM »
Very Nice. We painted the kitchen over the weekend and took down the super old school accordion blinds for curtains. Cabinets are white, paint is a light green and the wife wants to replace the appliances with Stainless steel.

mdo817

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »
Very Nice. We painted the kitchen over the weekend and took down the super old school accordion blinds for curtains. Cabinets are white, paint is a light green and the wife wants to replace the appliances with Stainless steel.
Jerm get the new stuff that doesn't "fingerprint" we put all new "real stainless" stuff in out kitchen a few years ago, we love it, but the new fake stainless is so nice. My only real complaint is the black stove top on the stainless range, damn it sucks to keep clean.

Looks great Jimmy, let me know how the counter top paint works out. You know what all we have done over the last few years, and I need to upgrade cabinets and counters. Paint might buy a year or so. {toast}

Tompatt

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:58:42 PM »
Let me know if you need a tile man. My wet saw has been collecting dust ;) I like the cabinet finish

same here jim. i think we have a wet saw lying around.

Offline CopperCrawler

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 07:23:38 AM »
Looks good Jimmy  {toast}
1999 TJ
2004 F-350 XLT, FX4, 4X4, 4"lift on 35s
2011 F-150 Supercrew Lariat, 4X4 (Wifes car)
And the Off Road transportation that NEVER gets stuck
1990 Tennessee Walking Horse - "JEZ"

Always remember our veterans!!  Even if you don't agree with the politics of what they are fighting for, they are someone who swore to give the ultimate sacrifice of their LIFE to defend the freedoms you and I enjoy everyday.

BigJerm

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
Mark, I will have to check into that. I know for sure she wants a double oven/cook top combo but thats about as specific as she gets. If anyone is in the market for a second fridge I might be selling one soon since all the appliances have to match right?

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 12:42:08 PM »
Looks great Jimmy, let me know how the counter top paint works out. You know what all we have done over the last few years, and I need to upgrade cabinets and counters. Paint might buy a year or so. {toast}

This counter top stuff is pretty awesome. The one thing that sucks is it only comes in a kit sized for 50 sq ft. The base coat goes on really thick, about like roll-on bed liner, so that 50 sq ft can't be stretched very much. My 55-60 sq ft was REALLY pushing it, the can was bone dry when I was done.

I'd also plan this project around a vacation if possible. Takes about 2 days to do all the work, but you can't use the counter at all for 2 days after you are done, then its "light use" for 5 more days (room temperature objects under 5 lbs only).

Taped up...

Chips spread, waiting to dry before sanding smooth...

Clearcoat down:

- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline CopperCrawler

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 07:12:53 AM »
Looks Good!!! {toast}
1999 TJ
2004 F-350 XLT, FX4, 4X4, 4"lift on 35s
2011 F-150 Supercrew Lariat, 4X4 (Wifes car)
And the Off Road transportation that NEVER gets stuck
1990 Tennessee Walking Horse - "JEZ"

Always remember our veterans!!  Even if you don't agree with the politics of what they are fighting for, they are someone who swore to give the ultimate sacrifice of their LIFE to defend the freedoms you and I enjoy everyday.

Offline Do Work 93 YJ

• Visitor
  • Ready To Ride
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »
Keep us updated on how well it holds up to normal kitchen abuse. Would rather try this then tear out and replace our tops. {toast}
Do Work Aka Moon Man. What you lack in technique make up in throttle! Or a set of cheater tires.

My Build Threads
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=3683.msg62464#msg62464

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=6862.0

Offline Rowingfish87

• Visitor
    • My pictures
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
looks good jimbo  {toast}
2002 TJ 4.0L/NV3550/NP231/F-D30/R-D44
36x12.50x15 TSLs
RC 2.5" Lift

1998 Ram 2500 4x4 12v CTD

GANTR Member #2

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »
Keep us updated on how well it holds up to normal kitchen abuse. Would rather try this then tear out and replace our tops. {toast}

x2
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM