BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: flat pitman arm????  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
flat pitman arm????
« on: October 06, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
Anybody have a flat pitman arm for a cj or any other make? I need one for the TJ and the new set up I have. Supposedly a CJ arm will fit a TJ.
I've grown tired of this.

mdo817

Re: flat pitman arm????
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 03:31:21 PM »
Anybody have a flat pitman arm for a cj or any other make? I need one for the TJ and the new set up I have. Supposedly a CJ arm will fit a TJ.
Try a waggy arm or and old Ford F100 arm. Doug's Buddy by the airport had several waggy arms laying around.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 03:57:51 PM »
My next question is this... can you flip a pitman arm so that the bend goes up, not down {ehm} Might be a dump question but hell, I don't know. ;) Tapered? It's either a waggy or a CJ arm that the length is close. I was even told an astro mini van arm. Just need the bolt hole spacing to know on the astro. A waggy is 6.5", CJ is 7".

mdo817

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »
My next question is this... can you flip a pitman arm so that the bend goes up, not down {ehm} Might be a dump question but hell, I don't know. ;) Tapered? It's either a waggy or a CJ arm that the length is close. I was even told an astro mini van arm. Just need the bolt hole spacing to know on the astro. A waggy is 6.5", CJ is 7".
The are tapered Ben, I take it you need a better turning radius? I went with the Ford F100 arm when I was running my 44 because I still needed a little drop to the arm and it was almost as long (hole to hole) as the flat Waggy, the flat waggy put to much angle on my drag link, but it was because of my lift.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »
My issue is the pitman arm is too low and it is hitting the tie rod at straight up and down bumps. Not flexing or turning so much but when stuffed up like a speed bump hit, it will hit the grease fitting on the TR. So after doing alot of research and finding measurements, the astro van pitman arm is what I need. It is 150mm c to c (5.9") and stock tj pitman arms are about the same at around 5.5". So I just need to find an astro arm and give it a shot. I think pull a part has a few in buford. If anybody has an old astro van stting around, or a pitman arm from one, Let me know! {toast}

Offline RDNKTNKER

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 01:23:28 AM »
Try the Junkyard there in Dacula.

Offline Logan

• Visitor
  • Hit it like you mean it
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 10:54:49 AM »
Ben, what about the relation of your draglink to your tracbar?  They currently look parallel in your pics, adding a flat pitman would change that and induce bumpsteer.
93 F-250 tow pig

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 01:26:56 PM »
It is at a lesser angle. Not by much. If it goes up, it would be closer to the same angle. It's a tough call and will need to test the flat arm to see. But i am bumpstopping the front with pucks so it will probably eliminate the issue for the time being till i can have a bit more time to test fit, trial and error it all out.

From the phone

FishWagon

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 07:53:52 AM »
I've got one off a Scout (uses Saginaw box) that you can have, just have to take it off my spare steering box.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 10:18:57 AM »
I appreciate it. Wonder what the length is on it? Can you measure? I ordered a new flat arm from sams offroad. I looked at the waggy, cj and astro arms but did not know the scouts had then too. My issue is with the hole to hole length. I needed an arm I could drill out to my needs so I went with one from sams offroad. Most of the arms I researched were way too long and it would push my drag link too far up and cause other issues. I'm curious to the length of the arm you have. Billy is looking for a similar deal and he might have a use for it if the length is close. {toast}

FishWagon

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
Center to center on the holes is roughly 9 5/16"

And correction, it's not flat, has about 1.5" drop....

Looks like this:

http://www.anythingscout.com/part/3121-pitman-arm-ii-used

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »
Wow, that is long! Mine hole to hole is about 5 1/2".

From the phone

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM