BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Plasma Cutter  (Read 351 times)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
Plasma Cutter
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:47:12 AM »
I need to remove the factory brackets from the frame and my little 3" pneumatic cutter ain't going to do it. So I looked into renting a plasma cutter and I can rent  one for around $40 to $45 a day.

How difficult or easy is the learning curve for one of these machines?

Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

JROLIN

Re: Plasma Cutter
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:39:29 AM »
I have used one only once.

Didnt have any prior training and I was able to make a cut.

I think the difference between a learner and a experienced user is a clean cut. Mine looked like hell.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
The capacity of the machine is more how the cut looks.  I've used a friend's high-end machine and I got a clean cut in quarter plate 1st time using it.  The rating for "sever" means it will cut but leave a very poor finish.  If the rental unit says cut for the thickness of your brackets than IMO you'll be happy.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
Just make sure the ground is clean, and hold the tip OFF the metal about an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. If you run it against the surface the tips gum up pretty quick and you"ll get a crappy cut, but you'll have to finish with some grinding no matter how good the cut is. For those 1/8" thick brackets a small 110 rig will be fine, and you will love how easy the metal falls. Have fun.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
Just make sure the ground is clean, and hold the tip OFF the metal about an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. If you run it against the surface the tips gum up pretty quick and you"ll get a crappy cut, but you'll have to finish with some grinding no matter how good the cut is. For those 1/8" thick brackets a small 110 rig will be fine, and you will love how easy the metal falls. Have fun.

x2

Will, hows fatherhood?
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:08:16 PM »

x2

Will, hows fatherhood?

Dammit Matt - I thought you were asking me that question! Scared the hell out of me. :o

So Will, how's fatherhood?
Chuck & Sherry

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »

x2

Will, hows fatherhood?

Exhausting and amazing all at once. The litte guy is awesome and I can't complain cause he's been great. New tactic for keeping the Jeep: he'll bed driving it one day, and she seems to be going along with that one, so everything's great :)
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »
Good to know you are doing well man. I need to come by and see that little tike. Hijack over...

off grid post
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »

x2

Will, hows fatherhood?

Exhausting and amazing all at once. The litte guy is awesome and I can't complain cause he's been great. New tactic for keeping the Jeep: he'll bed driving it one day, and she seems to be going along with that one, so everything's great :)

Good to hear. Keep the jeep. My little girl just turned 2 and I still manage to daily drive it and drop her off at her nanas every day. Jeep was one of her first words (I did not encourage it </LMAO/> ) and she can spot one in any parking lot. When we walk to the drive way she point at it and says "yeep".  Its the only thing she likes to ride in.  

Chuck did you get those brackets off yet?  ~>}

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »
Not yet, I have a plasma cutter lined for the this weekend though.
Chuck & Sherry

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
I dont know why I have never thought to rent one. Way more practical than purchasing for a couple odd jobs. Thanks for the good idea.

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM