BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Off road locations  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Fluevog

• Visitor
Off road locations
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:00:40 PM »
Hey guys I'm pretty new to offroading and live just to the north east of atlanta and don't really want to drive all the way up north to the mountains to go on trail rides with the group. If any of you guys know of some trails that are near atlanta in the northeast area that would be closer to me I would appreciate you telling me. Thanks </ARMATA/>

BigJerm

Re: Off road locations
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:16:41 AM »
Sadly there are none. Anything near Atlanta like the power line roads people use are illegal. Other than a really private, invite only, off road park up 400 you are.looking at driving 1.5-2 hours for any parks or forest roads worth putting it in 4wd.

Offline Squirt-Truck

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »
Even if we drive 1.5 -2.0 hours what is available?   (Some of us only make 45 MPH anyway.)

I would not mind a longer drive for a once or twice a year BIG ride of a couple of days.

Offline Lhub36

• Visitor
  • Nope wasn't me
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »
The closest ones to you are Beasley's Knob and durhamtown. Other than that, the forest roads in helen.
Lenn

Si vis pacem, para bellum

BigJerm

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »
From Atlanta for a 2 hour(ish) trip lets see....

1. Beasley Knob (N.E. GA) closed Jan 1st - Mar 31st and closed after heavy rains
2. Durahmtown (E. GA) private park
3. Various forest roads above Helen but I really have not seen a road that is worth driving for the 4x4 part. Ok for day trips, hikes, picnics, but no road has been good enough to be the focus of a trip.
4. Morris Mountain (AL) private park open 2 weekends a month
5. Choccolocco Mtn (AL) private park
6. Great American off road park (Auburn, AL) private park, mostly mud from what I hear
7. Aetna (TN) not a real park, strange public/private land thing but is legal for now
8. Coal Creek (TN) private park, could be pushing the 2 hour mark for some
9. Gulches (SC) private park

There might be more but you get the idea. GA is a HORRIBLE state for off road vehicles. Most of the "spots" here are illegal and with the mind set that people have been going to whatever illegal place for years so its ok. To do it it legal in this great state you need a rig that can handle the 2+ hour drive or a tow pig, and the money to pay the fee to the parks.

Steve

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:38 PM »
Anything around the WMA's around Oconee?

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 08:44:23 AM »
Anything around the WMA's around Oconee?

Dirt roads.  No wheeling.

Offline taylornoll

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 12:35:59 AM »
In i think canton "( exit 16 on 575 there are the sweetwater trails that is legal for you to go on, its a state road that just went to shit. its all mud and some dirt off road trails. the mud trails are very difficult fir inexperienced mudders so get a friend with an offroading vehicle to go with you to pull you out or vice versa. and it ends at lake allatoona so its illegal to park within 100 feet of the lake. you can be there just not your car. or so the game warden said last time i was there

Edited: Removed illegal wheeling location.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:15:43 AM by Matt »

BigJerm

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »
In i think canton "( exit 16 on 575 there are the sweetwater trails that is legal for you to go on, its a state road that just went to shit. its all mud and some dirt off road trails. the mud trails are very difficult fir inexperienced mudders so get a friend with an offroading vehicle to go with you to pull you out or vice versa. and it ends at lake allatoona so its illegal to park within 100 feet of the lake. you can be there just not your car. or so the game warden said last time i was there

Edited: Removed illegal wheeling location.

These are not "trails". It is a road. 1 road... all the side trails are illegal and the amount of No Trespassing signs posted everywhere makes that obvious. All normal laws apply to this road so tag, insurance, lights, ect. The road itself is legal to drive on, and I have once before but driving down a dirt road with mud puddles isnt to exciting.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM