BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morning Coffee  (Read 177007 times)

Offline tazstoy

• Visitor
Re: Morning Coffee
« Reply #732 on: August 22, 2014, 12:30:40 PM »
Thats why you should really avoid getting to friendly when you have people who work under you because sometimes it even hard to reprimand someone if they think your friends instead of boss and employee. But I feel for ya its not a easy task in todays economy
Todd, Marie  and son goes by Tim or Timothy

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #733 on: August 22, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »
So I gotta lay someone off today who is a good worker, never done that before, its gonna suck.  Sitting here waiting...
I can empathize, I have had to do this twice in my career.  The worst was in 2008 when everything was tanking, I had to layoff 25 members of my team (75 total at the time).  Hopefully the company is doing right by them with severance, healthcare, etc...  No way around it, it really sucks.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #734 on: September 03, 2014, 11:01:48 AM »
Wow we had a major storm last night. We were out of power for 12 hours. Been working nights it was so much fun coming home at 1:30 this morning and trying to go asleep with no AC. Finally got the generator running this morning. I have 2 company's coming out to price out 8 stalling entire house automatic generator. I can see this being a frequent thing up here in the woods
Bobby

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #735 on: September 03, 2014, 11:51:42 AM »
I wired in a box outside our basement for a generator when the ice storms were supposed to come through two years ago. It is similar to a dryer hook up, just turn the generator on outside, turn off the main breaker to your house so you aren't backfeeding the line, plug in the generator to your outlet, turn that breaker on in the panel and then you have some electricity to run some essential things like a fridge, some lights, and maybe the stove/ oven depending on how big of a generator you have.

Try restarting a bakery when the power goes out... We have 2 bread lines and a bun line each with 3000 amp main breakers. When the power goes out you have about 6-7 people running around in the dark trying to get the whole plant started up in about 15-20 minutes, if you have all three phases. If you don't check to make sure you have all three phases before you charge the breaker up and flip the contacts close and single phase all those motors you probably wouldn't have a job tomorrow lol.
Will

94 seXj

Lytles_fjc

« Reply #736 on: September 03, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »
Wow we had a major storm last night. We were out of power for 12 hours. Been working nights it was so much fun coming home at 1:30 this morning and trying to go asleep with no AC. Finally got the generator running this morning. I have 2 company's coming out to price out 8 stalling entire house automatic generator. I can see this being a frequent thing up here in the woods

we were losing power almost weekly at the last house. I hooked up a 30kva gen with a automatic transfer switch.
never lost power after.
Let me know what kind of quotes you get. I’m a journeyman electrician that now sells electrical supplies so I can help out on the wire and what not.
Danny

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #737 on: September 03, 2014, 01:29:17 PM »

we were losing power almost weekly at the last house. I hooked up a 30kva gen with a automatic transfer switch.
never lost power after.
Let me know what kind of quotes you get. I’m a journeyman electrician that now sells electrical supplies so I can help out on the wire and what not.
Danny
Will do. PM me your number
Bobby

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #738 on: September 03, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
I wired in a box outside our basement for a generator when the ice storms were supposed to come through two years ago. It is similar to a dryer hook up, just turn the generator on outside, turn off the main breaker to your house so you aren't backfeeding the line, plug in the generator to your outlet, turn that breaker on in the panel and then you have some electricity to run some essential things like a fridge, some lights, and maybe the stove/ oven depending on how big of a generator you have.

I am told this is illegal without the proper disconnect that prevents both being open.  You can kill a lineman if you make a mistake or someone throws your main and there is a lineman handling your feed at the pole.

I d the same thing so I'm not preaching.  I wire into a 240 breaker in the box from my 8000w gen.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:48:06 PM by Doug »

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #739 on: September 03, 2014, 02:31:53 PM »
I could see that happening, but I would be the one turning the power on and off so if the lights in my neighborhood work or my neighbors have power I would shut the generator and breaker off then turn the main back on. I'm absolutely sure it could end up like that, but that is for when worst comes to worst. The lineman should be wearing his PPE and handling the wires/ live wires in a manner not to hurt himself or any other workers, but that doesn't always happen like it should either.  I'm sure Carroll EMC/ GA Power certainly doesn't support my idea.
Will

94 seXj

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #740 on: October 03, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »
It's going to be alittle chilly tomorrow morning up here in the mountains. 36 is the low tomorrow and 57 for the high.
Bobby

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #741 on: October 05, 2014, 08:07:10 AM »
32 degrees at my house right now
Bobby

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #742 on: October 05, 2014, 08:57:54 AM »