BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morning Coffee  (Read 179504 times)

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Re: Morning Coffee
« Reply #960 on: September 28, 2015, 09:29:18 AM »
And it's an easy way to leave the WJM without too much backlash.
Jay

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #961 on: September 28, 2015, 09:32:48 AM »

Beat me to it. Or in your case could be an easy way into the WJM without much backlash...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #962 on: September 28, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »

Beat me to it. Or in your case could be an easy way into the WJM without much backlash...

Haha, nope.

I'm staying the course with my 4dr. 
Jay

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #963 on: September 28, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
As for my reasoning for LJ.

Realized I liked the aftermarket armor/etc for TJ/LJ more than the JK. More classic lines, etc.  Also I really think the JKU needs 42's to make the proportions look just right.  Didn't want to go there. LJ on 40's looks right to me. This is personal preference of course!

I realized how much money I'd have into the JK if I went tons, and wanted to start with a lower price donor vehicle. TJ wouldn't work but LJ has just enough room.

I didn't want to be stuck with the 3.8 engine. I hated it and never enjoyed driving it. LS swap would just add to the amount I had in the rig. The i6 has been awesome.

Candidly I liked the idea of having a rig that you don't see everyday.

Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #964 on: September 28, 2015, 10:39:50 AM »
Unless you need the extra room inside i like the tj. Lj/tj is cheaper and going to a v8 if you want is a lot easier. Depending on the engine, you can still use the stock guages with very little extra cost.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #965 on: September 28, 2015, 11:39:44 AM »
 //iws//
Here's my reasoning for a LJ/TJ

The entire thing is wired Can bus so you cant do any home diagnosis. If you don't know what this is give it a quick google search. In short it is not wired in a traditional way where wires carry 12v signal to turn on and off features. Instead a single wire can carry multiple signals making any diagnosis or modifications impossible or expensive (hence the LS swap harness alone) Let me give you one more example.

When I purchased my previous JK it had several issues...
-the lower Locker/Esp panel was not working
-dome lights would not work
-fog lights would not work
-info center on gauges was not working
-HVAC back lighting was not working

After countless hours of searching I gave up and took it to the dealer. They searched for about 2 hours and hooked it to their diagnosis equipment and couldn't find any problem. They called me and said the speedometer wasn't getting power to part of it and it is actually what controls all those other features. They said they would run a new power wire to the spedo and it should work. I said go ahead and while the guy was searching for how to run the wire he found a wire that was cut in half in the passenger front wheel-well. He soldered the connection and all was fixed! 

Maybe that left a bad taste in my mouth for them all but I wont own another unless its under warranty, and if its under factory warranty its probably to nice to chop up, swap axles, and wheel. at least for my pockets! I have owned a YJ, TJ, JKUR, and an LJ and this LJ is here to STAY!!! I absolutely love it and it will never go anywhere.
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Morning Coffee
« Reply #966 on: September 28, 2015, 07:30:49 PM »
//iws//
Here's my reasoning for a LJ/TJ

The entire thing is wired Can bus so you cant do any home diagnosis. If you don't know what this is give it a quick google search. In short it is not wired in a traditional way where wires carry 12v signal to turn on and off features. Instead a single wire can carry multiple signals making any diagnosis or modifications impossible or expensive (hence the LS swap harness alone) Let me give you one more example.

When I purchased my previous JK it had several issues...
-the lower Locker/Esp panel was not working
-dome lights would not work
-fog lights would not work
-info center on gauges was not working
-HVAC back lighting was not working

After countless hours of searching I gave up and took it to the dealer. They searched for about 2 hours and hooked it to their diagnosis equipment and couldn't find any problem. They called me and said the speedometer wasn't getting power to part of it and it is actually what controls all those other features. They said they would run a new power wire to the spedo and it should work. I said go ahead and while the guy was searching for how to run the wire he found a wire that was cut in half in the passenger front wheel-well. He soldered the connection and all was fixed! 

Maybe that left a bad taste in my mouth for them all but I wont own another unless its under warranty, and if its under factory warranty its probably to nice to chop up, swap axles, and wheel. at least for my pockets! I have owned a YJ, TJ, JKUR, and an LJ and this LJ is here to STAY!!! I absolutely love it and it will never go anywhere.

Jk CANBUS is crappy for sure, it can be a real downer. Everything aftermarket on mine goes around the CANBUS.

And it's exactly why an LS write harness costs thousands
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:31:33 PM by tcdawg »

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #967 on: October 03, 2015, 09:58:26 AM »
Man we're getting it on the NE side.  Constant rain.  Indoors today.  Constant football.

GO DAWGS!

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #968 on: October 03, 2015, 10:49:47 AM »
I'll be @ the dome watching GSU vs. Liberty
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #969 on: October 03, 2015, 11:43:11 AM »

Man we're getting it on the NE side.  Constant rain.  Indoors today.  Constant football.

GO DAWGS!

We have constant drizzle at some harder rain at times. Fairly well soaked.

Sold my tickets...ill be dry and inside watching the boys.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #970 on: October 03, 2015, 11:56:32 AM »
Rome air show got cancelled and people are PISSED!  Stated reason is risk of lightening with no shelter for thousands.  Not good for the pilots and ground teams either. 

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #971 on: October 03, 2015, 11:58:50 AM »
So I haven't heard who the know it all's say this weather benefits..   I'm thinking AL because their passing game already sucked but ours has been stellar the last few weeks and hard rain will take it away.

What say you?

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM