BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morning Coffee  (Read 178322 times)

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
Re: Morning Coffee
« Reply #1272 on: January 06, 2016, 04:55:35 AM »
Out in CA this week at our HQ.  Today sucked.  Had to fire 3 people.  Absolutely the worst part of managing people.  Looking forward to a better day tomorrow. 

Yes it does.....worse when you have to do it before the holidays.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #1273 on: January 06, 2016, 08:37:11 AM »
Out in CA this week at our HQ.  Today sucked.  Had to fire 3 people.  Absolutely the worst part of managing people.  Looking forward to a better day tomorrow. 

Hate that too John, especially if it's not due to their performance or actions.

I don't mind parting with someone I've given 3 chances to and they knew it was coming.

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #1274 on: January 06, 2016, 08:57:52 AM »
Agree with Doug.  We give so many warnings and several sub reviews.  So they know it's coming.
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #1275 on: January 06, 2016, 09:25:43 AM »

Agree with Doug.  We give so many warnings and several sub reviews.  So they know it's coming.
Yeah, same here. They knew it was coming due to their performance. Still a bummer. But today is a new day and it's time to move forward.

John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #1276 on: January 06, 2016, 09:53:52 AM »

Yes it does.....worse when you have to do it before the holidays.

Right before the holiday layoffs happened almost every year at one of the companies where I have worked. 

I'm torn on the good vs bad of pre-holiday layoffs; on one hand, it let's the person curtail their holiday spending; on the other hand, it is a real downer at a time of year when you see a lot of people who ask you, "how is work going?"

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #1277 on: January 06, 2016, 09:59:42 AM »
Over the years the 2 different people I fired
at the holidays had lot's of chances. I always
keep good records so they were denied
unemployment.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #1278 on: January 06, 2016, 11:36:19 AM »
Sorry you had to do that today @jd30005 - went through this Q3 last year myself. 
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #1279 on: January 06, 2016, 12:09:26 PM »
I have no problems cutting people loose that need to go.  I terminated a guy at the end of October after he was written up 3 times - after he had gotten off a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) earlier in the year.  The 3 times this guy was written he failed to perform according to strict procedures.  I had to let him go before he did something so stupid that I could get fired over because in the end, I'm held accountable.

When I put him on the PIP early last year, he said he would do better and appreciated the opportunity to improve.  He also said "my wife and 4 kids appreciate it too".  I told him straight up that his wife and kids aren't my problem, they are his problem and if he does his job like everyone else, there should be no worries.  The look on his face told me he didn't get it.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #1280 on: January 06, 2016, 07:06:16 PM »
My experience back "in the day" at various software companies was that 5% turnover yearly for non-performance was pretty normal.  A lot of that was due to the fact that at the time good software developers were scarce and there were a lot of openings, so hiring criteria were not as strict as perhaps they are today.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline SemperFiArms

• Visitor
  • Oremus Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #1281 on: January 06, 2016, 11:41:01 PM »
I have no problems cutting people loose that need to go.  I terminated a guy at the end of October after he was written up 3 times - after he had gotten off a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) earlier in the year.  The 3 times this guy was written he failed to perform according to strict procedures.  I had to let him go before he did something so stupid that I could get fired over because in the end, I'm held accountable.

When I put him on the PIP early last year, he said he would do better and appreciated the opportunity to improve.  He also said "my wife and 4 kids appreciate it too".  I told him straight up that his wife and kids aren't my problem, they are his problem and if he does his job like everyone else, there should be no worries.  The look on his face told me he didn't get it.

It's amazing to me that some folks just don't get it.

I had to let 40 guys go when I was contracting in asscrapistan due to the down sizing. I had 10 guy that it was no problem but I had to go through the 125 personnel I had on my work force and decide which ones I wanted to keep. It can be a tough thing to do if you let yourself become too familiar with personal you are responsible for. It is a very delicate balance a manager has to maintain. I had always preached to the guys there that we are all one big family and I did the very best to protect and promote to the best of my ability. Out of the 40 guys I lost about 25 of them were promoted to different positions throughout the company.

In my new position now I am no longer under those kinds of pressures but I have a unique understanding on how my manager has to operate with the guys on our current team. I've watched some folks leave over the past 9 months because they couldn't move forward with the rest as we grow and improve how we conduct our business.
Chris
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt.
Do or Do Not, There Is No Try.

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #1282 on: January 07, 2016, 11:06:51 AM »
This is an interesting discussion.  My issue during the "optimization" I was recently part of was that this group had but their blood sweat and tears into building this large custom software architecture over years, under bad leadership, and they didn't have the savvy to understand how to look at their company financial results.  So when we purchased them, got to actually evaluating how they worked, and the value there, I was essentially the guy who said we need to scrap all this.  And the guys just didn't understand.  There were also H1B and green card guys their who had to scramble to stay in the US at all.  It was hard to see the individual engineers lose their work, which is why they worked.  They loved their code and designs and had become way too involved, and these were older guys, in their late 40's and 50's.  Their mistake, yes.  There is a first time for everything, and I've already learned the lesson about everyone can be let go, including myself, but it was my first time being THAT guy.  I won't feel so much next time.   Now of course I feel fine with how many of my own company guys I kept employed....  I'm learning alot. 
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #1283 on: January 07, 2016, 11:50:39 AM »
You know in 1983 when I started my career it never
was a thought of being the boss. Over time I did begin
thinking of it. Well careful what you wish for.......

The last 10 years of being over my department really
has been an eye opener. I never thought there would
be the level of stress and aggravation that goes with
the job. Employees don't see the kinda stuff that we
have to go through or deal with.

Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM