BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morning Coffee  (Read 177293 times)

Offline SemperFiArms

• Visitor
  • Oremus Pacem, Para Bellum
Re: Morning Coffee
« Reply #1284 on: January 07, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »
You know in 1983 when I started my career it never
was a thought of being the boss. Over time I did begin
thinking of it. Well careful what you wish for.......

The last 10 years of being over my department really
has been an eye opener. I never thought there would
be the level of stress and aggravation that goes with
the job. Employees don't see the kinda stuff that we
have to go through or deal with.

It's one hell of a wake up call when someone realizes just what the "boss" actually goes through. I didn't actively seek the position in asscrapistan. Let's just say those above me felt I was qualified to do the job and they said go do it. The more I succeeded at the mission the more responsibility they placed upon me. By the time I finished my 18th month there I was effectively running 3 separate shops and still managed over 75 personnel.

Last spring my current manager asked me to take on more of a leadership role here and I asked him to give me some time to be more proficient on the business aspect. The tech stuff is easy compared to what I still need to learn. This really puts me on the opposite end of the spectrum from the others in this line of work. Technically the position requires a college degree but 2 years ago the upper management waived that requirement in order to hire me. Over that period of time I have on multiple occasions demonstrated my worth to the company but I have also realized what my short comings are and where I need to improve. That is what really good managers are for and I am fortunate enough to have a great manager.
Chris
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt.
Do or Do Not, There Is No Try.

Offline SemperFiArms

• Visitor
« Reply #1285 on: January 07, 2016, 08:25:07 PM »
Gotta go back to Indianapolis Monday morning. Supposed to be in the teens Monday with snow showers on Tuesday. Fortunately I should conclude my business around lunch time Tuesday and be heading back home by the time it starts.
Chris

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #1286 on: January 07, 2016, 09:14:19 PM »
I'm traveling quite a bit for work lately. Houston, Dallas, and New Jersey by next Friday.
Jay

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #1287 on: January 07, 2016, 10:10:25 PM »
I feel for you guys that have to travel a lot and be in the office when you're not on the road.  I did an average of just over 2 trips a month last year.  But 90% of the other days were working from home.
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #1288 on: January 07, 2016, 10:12:30 PM »

I'm traveling quite a bit for work lately. Houston, Dallas, and New Jersey by next Friday.

In DC myself at the moment.  You should stay at Hotel ICON in Houston - pretty badass.

Never stayed there. Been trying to stick with Hilton properties lately.
Jay

Offline SemperFiArms

• Visitor
« Reply #1289 on: January 07, 2016, 10:45:27 PM »
I feel for you guys that have to travel a lot and be in the office when you're not on the road.  I did an average of just over 2 trips a month last year.  But 90% of the other days were working from home.

That's where my boss wants us to get to. He feels that 90% of what we do can be done as effectively from a home office as we can do from the corporate office. I happen to agree but we have to overcome the mentality that was put in place from the previous president who was replaced a year ago. Our current president is working with the new sales and service managers to implement the changes in our respective departments. We're still undergoing transitions due to turnovers with the personnel who resist the positive changes. Sometimes the status quo will bring the business down and retard growth.

I don't mind the travel and I am home 98% of the time for weekends. In March I'll be working a trade show in Nashville for a week. My plan is to bring my wife so she can do some shopping and other girl stuff Tuesday thru Thursday then on Friday we'll go to Bowling Green for the Corvette museum and on to the caverns for the weekend.
Chris

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #1290 on: January 08, 2016, 12:30:11 PM »
Random...but for those not paying attention to forum signatures I had to laugh at @Raisinhead and then @clark123456 following suit...
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #1291 on: January 08, 2016, 02:16:52 PM »

Random...but for those not paying attention to forum signatures I had to laugh at @Raisinhead and then @clark123456 following suit...

And Justin didn't think my quote would take off!
Jay

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #1292 on: January 08, 2016, 05:52:47 PM »
you channeled me to create mine, which I find to be the best of the two...likely the best phrase ever documented.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #1293 on: January 08, 2016, 05:53:11 PM »

who's Justin?

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #1294 on: January 08, 2016, 10:08:32 PM »
wouldn't he the chili champ.........
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #1295 on: January 08, 2016, 10:33:30 PM »

who's Justin?

- Torg

He's a man with an LJ.  And that's all that really matters...
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM