BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morning Coffee  (Read 176833 times)

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Re: Morning Coffee
« Reply #2076 on: March 16, 2017, 08:11:10 AM »
PS - my synthetic that broke was Warn Spydura.  What was your's @clark123456 @Raisinhead ?

Mine is stock rope from Smittybilt x20 10k.
Jay

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #2077 on: March 16, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »
PS - my synthetic that broke was Warn Spydura.  What was your's @clark123456 @Raisinhead ?

mine is also smitty stock stuff. getting close to 2 yrs old, maybe we should consider another group buy @Doug ..

and mine stays in the garage all the time so im not concerned about weather wear.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #2078 on: March 16, 2017, 11:43:02 PM »
RE: synthetic winch line

I imagine dirt and grit working into the line contributes to a loss of strength over time. When rock climbing, I was told not to step on the rope to drive dirt into it so that the rope would last. Not sure if it's true but seems plausible.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2079 on: March 17, 2017, 05:24:44 AM »

I imagine dirt and grit working into the line contributes to a loss of strength over time. When rock climbing, I was told not to step on the rope to drive dirt into it so that the rope would last. Not sure if it's true but seems plausible.
I buy into that...but it's impossible to avoid dirt in the conditions where we get stuck.  The worst thing is that the fools helping you by moving your winch line will inevitably treat your line differently than you would treat your line.   I prefer the help, so I'll just buy line more frequently...or not get stuck ;)
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2080 on: March 17, 2017, 05:25:37 AM »

mine is also smitty stock stuff. getting close to 2 yrs old, maybe we should consider another group buy @Doug ..

and mine stays in the garage all the time so im not concerned about weather wear.
It's really done good for you though...I've seen you use it A LOT!
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #2081 on: March 17, 2017, 07:15:45 AM »

I have also read that you should un-spool and rinse out the line to get the small dirt and sand particles out of it from time to time. 

I am guilty of never doing this.  Probably because I don't know if you can re-spool the line up while its wet or if you should let it dry out first.

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #2082 on: March 17, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »

I buy into that...but it's impossible to avoid dirt in the conditions where we get stuck.  The worst thing is that the fools helping you by moving your winch line will inevitably treat your line differently than you would treat your line.   I prefer the help, so I'll just buy line more frequently...or not get stuck ;)

Yea I don't expect anything to be done any different when winching, the dirt is unavoidable really. I think it does explain why we just shouldn't be surprised when an older line that was rated at say 20,000 snaps easily (meaning before the winch stalls or slows significantly) on say an 8000 lb winch. The ease of being able to tie a knot and go right back to winching is great though.

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2083 on: March 17, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »

I've heard that, and I believe it. We always made those people kiss the rope and apologize :)

Offline 8lugLJ

• Visitor
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #2084 on: March 17, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »

It's really done good for you though...I've seen you use it A LOT!
Contrary to popular belief I actually much rather pull rope than break it..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2085 on: March 18, 2017, 03:22:30 PM »
New tv for the garage. Now I can view parts diagrams and watch KOH race videos in style

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2086 on: March 18, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »
New tv for the garage. Now I can view parts diagrams and watch KOH race videos in style

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chop, chop and get those bags of mulch spread and stop watching so much TV. 
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2087 on: March 18, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »
Chop, chop and get those bags of mulch spread and stop watching so much TV. 

I bought those bags spring of last year lol

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM