BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morning Coffee  (Read 177894 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Morning Coffee
« Reply #3048 on: December 15, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »
According to CNN the internet was suppose to end yesterday.   I guess no one will see this post.  :(

You may be eating those words if net neutrality is ended. Unless you want the governments input on what you see online.

Wikipedia :
Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers must treat all data on the Internet the same, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication.[4] For instance, under these principles, internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content.
The commission’s chairman, Ajit Pai, vigorously defended the repeal before the vote. He said the rollback of the rules would eventually benefit consumers because broadband providers like AT&T and Comcast could offer them a wider variety of service options. His two fellow Republican commissioners also supported the change, giving them a 3-to-2 majority.

“We are helping consumers and promoting competition,” Mr. Pai said. “Broadband providers will have more incentive to build networks, especially to underserved areas.”

Mr. Pai and his Republican colleagues have echoed the comments of the telecom companies, which have told regulators that because of the limits to their business imposed by the rules, they weren’t expanding and upgrading their networks as quickly as they wanted.

“There is a lot of misinformation that this is the ‘end of the world as we know it’ for the internet,” Comcast’s senior executive vice president, David Cohen, wrote in a blog post this week. “Our internet service is not going to change.”

These critics of Mr. Pai, who was nominated by President Trump, said there isn’t enough competition in the broadband market to trust that the companies will try to offer the best services. The rule changes, they believe, give providers incentive to begin charging websites to reach consumers.

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #3049 on: December 15, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »
According to CNN the internet was suppose to end yesterday.   I guess no one will see this post.  :(

You may be eating those words if net neutrality is ended. Unless you want the governments input on what you see online.

Wikipedia :
Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers must treat all data on the Internet the same, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication.[4] For instance, under these principles, internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content.

Which meant netflix (who championed neutrality) who has bandwidth-sucking HD content would be treated the same as your grandma's recipe blog.

"Neutrality" was devised by billion $ corps to protect their brands and pad their bottom line, not to protect consumers. Now that comcast/att/et al can change their pricing structure, expect more competitive rates and spending on internet infrastructure to to increase, and all while smaller startups can enter the market and compete directly with the providers

Until Netflix has agreements with telecom companies to prioritize it's traffic so your netflix bill goes up to pay for that as well as it takes you 20min to get grandma's recipe blog becuase she can't pay for the prioritized traffic tier.  This is all a sham to make telecoms more money and it will NOT make things cheaper for the consumer.
Netflix just went up anyway, prior to net neutrality being repealed. I have a hard time believing that competition will somehow create this massive ISP conglomerate monopoly that's going to slowly jack up rates and box all poor people out of the internet. I also have a hard time believing that anything king Obama touched will somehow benefit me at any point. My health coverage continues to rise in cost and I was just informed that I'll be forced to cover an extra 10% of my health expenses......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3050 on: December 15, 2017, 02:47:41 PM »

Wikipedia :

Which meant netflix (who championed neutrality) who has bandwidth-sucking HD content would be treated the same as your grandma's recipe blog.

"Neutrality" was devised by billion $ corps to protect their brands and pad their bottom line, not to protect consumers. Now that comcast/att/et al can change their pricing structure, expect more competitive rates and spending on internet infrastructure to to increase, and all while smaller startups can enter the market and compete directly with the providers
There are pros and cons to getting rid of net neutrality, and they affect big and small companies.  The big ISP companies can shutdown, or hinder, big and small content companies that compete with their own big content providing sister companies.  The big content companies can buy their way into ISPs so the big content companies get  competitive end user results compared to the big ISP content that would have been preferred without payment by the big content companies.  Small content companies will likely never grow, since they can't but their way in, and they are not big ISPs.  Innovation will occur for the purpose of controlling content and bandwidth, but not for overall gains in quality content or bandwidth. 

Consumers will lose with net neutrality; big conglomerate ISP and content companies will win with net neutrality.

The previous statements represent my personal views.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3051 on: December 15, 2017, 02:50:07 PM »

Wikipedia :

Until Netflix has agreements with telecom companies to prioritize it's traffic so your netflix bill goes up to pay for that as well as it takes you 20min to get grandma's recipe blog becuase she can't pay for the prioritized traffic tier.  This is all a sham to make telecoms more money and it will NOT make things cheaper for the consumer.
Netflix just went up anyway, prior to net neutrality being repealed. I have a hard time believing that competition will somehow create this massive ISP conglomerate monopoly that's going to slowly jack up rates and box all poor people out of the internet. I also have a hard time believing that anything king Obama touched will somehow benefit me at any point. My health coverage continues to rise in cost and I was just informed that I'll be forced to cover an extra 10% of my health expenses......

Do you think healthcare (actual service costs) will cost the same in 2018 as they were in 2017?

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #3052 on: December 15, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »

Wikipedia :

Do you think healthcare (actual service costs) will cost the same in 2018 as they were in 2017?

No bc the fookin govt had to get involved.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3053 on: December 15, 2017, 02:59:31 PM »

Wikipedia :

I'll have to look back, but I'm pretty confident my rates haven't gone up more than they did before the ACA

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3054 on: December 15, 2017, 03:01:48 PM »

Wikipedia :

The cost of services and supplies will inflate slightly, just like it does every year. The cost of insurance and who is covering what are the big factors

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3055 on: December 15, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »

Wikipedia :

Do you recognize there is a difference between health care and health insurance?

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3056 on: December 15, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »

Wikipedia :

I'll have to look back, but I'm pretty confident my rates haven't gone up more than they did before the ACA

Your employer may be eating some of that cost. Self insured and small businesses get hammered. Larger employers create their own plans and have their own "pool" which can lower their costs compared to others

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3057 on: December 15, 2017, 03:05:54 PM »

Wikipedia :

Your employer may be eating some of that cost. Self insured and small businesses get hammered. Larger employers create their own plans and have their own "pool" which can lower their costs compared to others
Yeah, my company is self funding and uses Aetna as the administrator.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3058 on: December 15, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »

Same reason college costs so much these days

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #3059 on: December 15, 2017, 03:29:26 PM »

Wikipedia :

Do you recognize there is a difference between health care and health insurance?

Ah I didn’t catch you said Healthcare and not insurance. I’m all about insurance right now as I’m trying to get a small group plan together for the shop and is pisses me off that everything has went so out of sight. But to answer your question yes I do know the difference. I may not be as well spoken as some but I’m not an idiot.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM