BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morning Coffee  (Read 177532 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Morning Coffee
« Reply #3060 on: December 15, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »
According to CNN the internet was suppose to end yesterday.   I guess no one will see this post.  :(

You may be eating those words if net neutrality is ended. Unless you want the governments input on what you see online.

Wikipedia :
Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers must treat all data on the Internet the same, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication.[4] For instance, under these principles, internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content.

Which meant netflix (who championed neutrality) who has bandwidth-sucking HD content would be treated the same as your grandma's recipe blog.

"Neutrality" was devised by billion $ corps to protect their brands and pad their bottom line, not to protect consumers. Now that comcast/att/et al can change their pricing structure, expect more competitive rates and spending on internet infrastructure to to increase, and all while smaller startups can enter the market and compete directly with the providers

Until Netflix has agreements with telecom companies to prioritize it's traffic so your netflix bill goes up to pay for that as well as it takes you 20min to get grandma's recipe blog becuase she can't pay for the prioritized traffic tier.  This is all a sham to make telecoms more money and it will NOT make things cheaper for the consumer.
Netflix just went up anyway, prior to net neutrality being repealed. I have a hard time believing that competition will somehow create this massive ISP conglomerate monopoly that's going to slowly jack up rates and box all poor people out of the internet. I also have a hard time believing that anything king Obama touched will somehow benefit me at any point. My health coverage continues to rise in cost and I was just informed that I'll be forced to cover an extra 10% of my health expenses......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The net has been neutral since before Obama. This has nothing to do with Obama. 

Cry me a river about the $1 increase in Netflix. I'm talking doubling or tripling cost and more so crushing any small players in the market.

There are pros and cons to getting rid of net neutrality, and they affect big and small companies.  The big ISP companies can shutdown, or hinder, big and small content companies that compete with their own big content providing sister companies.  The big content companies can buy their way into ISPs so the big content companies get  competitive end user results compared to the big ISP content that would have been preferred without payment by the big content companies.  Small content companies will likely never grow, since they can't but their way in, and they are not big ISPs.  Innovation will occur for the purpose of controlling content and bandwidth, but not for overall gains in quality content or bandwidth. 

Consumers will lose with net neutrality; big conglomerate ISP and content companies will win with net neutrality.

The previous statements represent my personal views.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AMEN!

No bc the fookin govt had to get involved.

Same reason college costs so much these days

That is due to federally subsidized loans.
Slightly incorrect regarding net neutrality before it was law.  I know for a fact that some internet services were inhibited by ISPs, and in fact, net neutrality stopped some of those actions by ISPs.  I won't discuss details here, but catch me near a fire with a beer in my hand and I'll tell a story.

The reality is that net neutrality, health care, health insurance, taxes, and many more things are much more complex than a few paragraph post on a forum can cover, and than simple comments like, "get the government out of it." will actually address.

Higher Education cost hasn't increased greatly, but the amount paid by the consumer of the higher education has increased greatly.  The value of most higher education still outweighs the cost of the higher education, regardless of who pays for it.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3061 on: December 15, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »
According to CNN the internet was suppose to end yesterday.   I guess no one will see this post.  :(

You may be eating those words if net neutrality is ended. Unless you want the governments input on what you see online.

Wikipedia :
Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers must treat all data on the Internet the same, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication.[4] For instance, under these principles, internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content.

Which meant netflix (who championed neutrality) who has bandwidth-sucking HD content would be treated the same as your grandma's recipe blog.

"Neutrality" was devised by billion $ corps to protect their brands and pad their bottom line, not to protect consumers. Now that comcast/att/et al can change their pricing structure, expect more competitive rates and spending on internet infrastructure to to increase, and all while smaller startups can enter the market and compete directly with the providers

Until Netflix has agreements with telecom companies to prioritize it's traffic so your netflix bill goes up to pay for that as well as it takes you 20min to get grandma's recipe blog becuase she can't pay for the prioritized traffic tier.  This is all a sham to make telecoms more money and it will NOT make things cheaper for the consumer.
Netflix just went up anyway, prior to net neutrality being repealed. I have a hard time believing that competition will somehow create this massive ISP conglomerate monopoly that's going to slowly jack up rates and box all poor people out of the internet. I also have a hard time believing that anything king Obama touched will somehow benefit me at any point. My health coverage continues to rise in cost and I was just informed that I'll be forced to cover an extra 10% of my health expenses......

Do you think healthcare (actual service costs) will cost the same in 2018 as they were in 2017?

No bc the fookin govt had to get involved.

Do you recognize there is a difference between health care and health insurance?

Ah I didn’t catch you said Healthcare and not insurance. I’m all about insurance right now as I’m trying to get a small group plan together for the shop and is pisses me off that everything has went so out of sight. But to answer your question yes I do know the difference. I may not be as well spoken as some but I’m not an idiot.

Yeah, my first attempt, that i didn't post, was very condescending, but I figured I would do a test with the one I posted, and if you couldn't recognize the difference I would be wasting my time with any further discussion.

I didn't think you were an idiot, but not everyone recognizes the difference.  I think one of the members here had a good point a long time ago (maybe Tony?).  His position was, as you get older, you cost more to maintain and break down more often, so your health care cost will increase disproportionately compared to inflation.  Or something similar to that.  I think the same should apply to health insurance cost, but I presume the difficulty in managing the individuals makes it easier to manage within margins.

Now, I know that my company homogenizes our insurance cost, because a person age 32 pays the same as me at age 43.  I think my costs should be higher than even the average 43 year old since I don't manage my weight, alcohol consumption, smoking, or other risks; I will cost more to maintain than most.  Oh well.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3062 on: December 15, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
This will be the 3rd year my health insurance premiums haven't went up. Luckily my vehicle insurance was almost cut in half thanks to AJ. Funny thing is the last place I had cut my old insurance almost in half too.
It pays to shop around.

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #3063 on: December 15, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »
This will be the 3rd year my health insurance premiums haven't went up. Luckily my vehicle insurance was almost cut in half thanks to AJ. Funny thing is the last place I had cut my old insurance almost in half too.
It pays to shop around.
Lucky. For me, ashley and saydee we paid 1200 a month this year w a 3250 deductible and 7500 max out of pocket total. 2018 they will be 1300 a month deductible of 7350 per person max out of pocket for family is right at 22000. Sometimes you can’t look at it in terms of how much it went up but instead what you are getting. All you guys with employer provided insurance better count your blessings bc being a small business owner and worrying about all this sucks.

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
« Reply #3064 on: December 15, 2017, 04:18:20 PM »

Wikipedia :

Do you think healthcare (actual service costs) will cost the same in 2018 as they were in 2017?

To be honest, I don't know. But that's not where my frustration lies. Before this whole thing began, I paid a little more to have a "Cadillac" plan. Once everything went into effect, the "regular" plans that I was offered cost even more than the Cadillac plan I had and have progressively covered less and less. I don't work for a company with a health plan, and every time  I've looked into it for us, we don't have enough employees for it to be cost effective. My out of pocket expenses are through the roof, I'm just looking for some sort of relief.

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #3065 on: December 15, 2017, 04:26:10 PM »

Wikipedia :

To be honest, I don't know. But that's not where my frustration lies. Before this whole thing began, I paid a little more to have a "Cadillac" plan. Once everything went into effect, the "regular" plans that I was offered cost even more than the Cadillac plan I had and have progressively covered less and less. I don't work for a company with a health plan, and every time  I've looked into it for us, we don't have enough employees for it to be cost effective. My out of pocket expenses are through the roof, I'm just looking for some sort of relief.

I suggest you take another look. I’ve been gathering quotes from all the big companies and you can do it for as little as two employees and even save a little money while getting better coverage. With that said I’m gonna go back to not reading this thread. Y’all have fun and I will see you wheeling.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3066 on: December 15, 2017, 05:02:44 PM »

Wikipedia :

I have a friend who joined a Christian based health insurance-like thing.  It saved him a ton, but he had to commit to bunch of stuff, especially believing in the Trinity.  Medi share, or something like that.  I think they discriminate against smokers.

https://mychristiancare.org/medi-share/

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:16:14 PM by clark123456 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3067 on: December 15, 2017, 05:19:08 PM »
I think they discriminate against smokers.

Smokers do that to themselves. 

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3068 on: December 15, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »
Lucky. For me, ashley and saydee we paid 1200 a month this year w a 3250 deductible and 7500 max out of pocket total. 2018 they will be 1300 a month deductible of 7350 per person max out of pocket for family is right at 22000.

Just a few more custom beadlock rings!

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #3069 on: December 15, 2017, 05:22:34 PM »
Lucky. For me, ashley and saydee we paid 1200 a month this year w a 3250 deductible and 7500 max out of pocket total. 2018 they will be 1300 a month deductible of 7350 per person max out of pocket for family is right at 22000.

Just a few more custom beadlock rings!
Yea if I actually made money on them.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #3070 on: December 15, 2017, 05:39:52 PM »
The FCC vote transferred ISP/internet regulation to the FTC.  Until we see what regulations the FTC comes up with the Net Neutrality issue is much smoke and little flame. 

One thing is pretty clear from recent events.  It's easy to get everyone in the minority party to be against anything.  Getting a majority party to agree  on anything is a lot harder.  Seems Rubio, Lee, and Corker got sweeteners on the tax bill just like Nelson and Landrieu did for the ACA.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3071 on: December 15, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »
The FCC vote transferred ISP/internet regulation to the FTC.  Until we see what regulations the FTC comes up with the Net Neutrality issue is much smoke and little flame. 

One thing is pretty clear from recent events.  It's easy to get everyone in the minority party to be against anything.  Getting a majority party to agree  on anything is a lot harder.  Seems Rubio, Lee, and Corker got sweeteners on the tax bill just like Nelson and Landrieu did for the ACA.
Was Rubio fighting for the poor man that already doesn't pay taxes?

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM