BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morning Coffee  (Read 177065 times)

Offline Blue J

• Visitor
Re: Morning Coffee
« Reply #4116 on: September 17, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
So I am wondering if this thing can actually go 400 miles Off-road. https://www.caranddriver.com/rivian/r1t

I can't imagine replacing the batteries.

my best friend is in his 2nd Tesla . The mileage has variations of greater / lesser distances based on variables such as you'd imagine them being ; inclination, temperature, wind direction & velocity , etc...

so, averaging 400 miles would be tough if you think about those being on loose surfaces & sand or anything which traction slips during is going to affect mileage. I know he can make it in his model 3 from Mt Juliet to Cobb Galeria on one charge & still have charge to drive around. 3-4 yrs ago, in his modelS with same battery & motors , he would have to stop in Chattanooga to charge. So , they are getting the tech better.

we have all seen the Korean conversions of JKs to electric crawlers , right ?  It's the weight & the torque heavy drainage on the batteries that holds this back ...I fully expect Tesla to issue a truck that'll make this conversation moot in the next 5-10 years. Our kids kids will laugh at the stories of their great granddad's driving gasoline powered rock crawlers.

on your original question; I highly doubt that can go 400 miles on a charge off of asphalt .

maybe your gran kids...mine just bark.

I have not seen any 'lectric jeeps. I've seen some tricked out golf carts down at the beach.
Jimbo
'13 True Blue JK

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4117 on: September 17, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
So I am wondering if this thing can actually go 400 miles Off-road. https://www.caranddriver.com/rivian/r1t

my best friend is in his 2nd Tesla . The mileage has variations of greater / lesser distances based on variables such as you'd imagine them being ; inclination, temperature, wind direction & velocity , etc...

so, averaging 400 miles would be tough if you think about those being on loose surfaces & sand or anything which traction slips during is going to affect mileage. I know he can make it in his model 3 from Mt Juliet to Cobb Galeria on one charge & still have charge to drive around. 3-4 yrs ago, in his modelS with same battery & motors , he would have to stop in Chattanooga to charge. So , they are getting the tech better.

we have all seen the Korean conversions of JKs to electric crawlers , right ?  It's the weight & the torque heavy drainage on the batteries that holds this back ...I fully expect Tesla to issue a truck that'll make this conversation moot in the next 5-10 years. Our kids kids will laugh at the stories of their great granddad's driving gasoline powered rock crawlers.

on your original question; I highly doubt that can go 400 miles on a charge off of asphalt .

I have not seen any 'lectric jeeps. I've seen some tricked out golf carts down at the beach.
How about an electric rock crawler? Cause it's happening:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4118 on: September 17, 2019, 01:34:16 PM »

How about an electric rock crawler? Cause it's happening:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Internal combustion engine only for me...
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #4119 on: September 18, 2019, 08:29:02 AM »
@jd30005  check this out:

/>

/>

/>

From what I can tell, it seems to be mostly Korean engineers ( who must have caught the crawl bug , somehow) that have pursued this effort* . their channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/snuelpl
shows a rubicon trip. ( I'm unsure wtf is up w/ the bad music in videos)

Don't misunderstand my intent; I'm all about the internal combustion engine, but , I admit that sometime down the road , this is inevitably how rock crawling will be.
It's freaky being so quiet .

(*after driving multiple Tesla , I can say that the motors have gobs of the torque we love... immediately,too.
the 1st thing I said after my first drive was ,
" OMG. if I could get 1 of these motors on each 40" tire per corner it'd be unstoppable..." )

but then I was told that nearly 40% of the (heavy) Model S weight is  from the entire bottom being 1 big battery . It was then that I realized that battery weight will cause this technology to come to offroading , a little on down the road

batteries are so heavy , I'd bet that the 2door ,olive JK in video weighs at least 7000 lbs. Not our future but 1-2 generations from now....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 08:45:22 AM by j3ff3ry_j33p »
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4120 on: September 18, 2019, 08:47:38 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  I'm sure it may be the future, but I will be long dead and gone.  I can appreciate the tech aspect, but sounding like an RC car on the trails is not my thing.  The tree huggers might love them, but give me the growl of a real engine all day long.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:16:02 AM by tjsahara00 »
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4121 on: September 18, 2019, 10:06:21 AM »
Yeah, the growl can be too much...I wish Sam had dumped his money into an electric power source instead of that monster he has...goodness it's horrible to be behind him when lining up to hit the trails. 

Luckily he breaks off to take the bypasses.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:16:26 AM by tjsahara00 »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #4122 on: September 18, 2019, 12:17:23 PM »
^ Savage
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #4123 on: September 18, 2019, 12:46:12 PM »

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #4124 on: September 18, 2019, 01:36:47 PM »
goodness it's horrible to be behind him when lining up to hit the trails. 

So it’s Sam and Kirk now?

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #4125 on: September 19, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
goodness it's horrible to be behind him when lining up to hit the trails. 

So it’s Sam and Kirk now?
nah, just Kirk.

Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #4126 on: October 20, 2019, 11:00:24 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B32ASXmCrlJ/

(hrmm thought it would preview, guess not - link is to a small instagram edit of new Chevy trucks)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:01:27 AM by BigPrince »

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #4127 on: October 25, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »
SXS running Pritchets on 42" stickies... hrmmm

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3853y2hKfI/

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM