BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Kent needs a CB  (Read 3069 times)

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
Kent needs a CB
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »
I need to buy a CB.  is there one that can run off my cig. lighter?
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
Kent needs a CB
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »
You can put a cig. Adapter on any of the power wires
Bobby

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
Kent needs a CB
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:40:32 AM »

Never owned a CB did not know that.  thanks.   do i need any special license? to operate?   i found a cheap one, Uniden PRO150XL, any advice on the antena?  ...  anyway..  Im not going to be around for Fridays vendor meet and greet, got to get home for work, but will be back very early on Sat.  :)   
Kent Casey

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
Kent needs a CB
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:54:14 AM »

Never owned a CB did not know that.  thanks.   do i need any special license? to operate?   i found a cheap one, Uniden PRO150XL, any advice on the antena?  ...  anyway..  Im not going to be around for Fridays vendor meet and greet, got to get home for work, but will be back very early on Sat.  :)   

Nah, you don't need a license for one. You're good man.
Ryan and Dawn Slyter; Grafenwhere Germany

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
Kent needs a CB
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 07:34:27 AM »

Antennas are the pain in the butt. I would recommend a 3 or 4 foot firestick with adjustable tip. You will have to set your SWR on the radio and antenna so you don't burn radio up. After you get good set up then you can start playing with more flexible antennas. Jeeps and antennas are a pain to get a durable antenna that will keep a good SWR were you can hear and talk clear
Bobby

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
Kent needs a CB
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:00:51 AM »

Antennas are the pain in the butt. I would recommend a 3 or 4 foot firestick with adjustable tip. You will have to set your SWR on the radio and antenna so you don't burn radio up. After you get good set up then you can start playing with more flexible antennas. Jeeps and antennas are a pain to get a durable antenna that will keep a good SWR were you can hear and talk clear

Ok, whats.  SWR? 
Kent Casey

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
Kent needs a CB
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »
Standing Wave Ratio. A cb has to be properly grounded and proper length antenna for the vehicle your using it in. You will want to get an 18' coax for antenna. There is a great CB shop in Ballground on your way to Jasper. Black Ghost CB ask for John. Tell him Bobby from the Jeep club sent you
Bobby

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
Kent needs a CB
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 08:15:03 AM »
I have a CB for sale that you can look at when you come over.

SWR = Standing Wave Ratio, a measure of ability to transmit/receive.  
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
Re: Kent needs a CB
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 08:37:59 AM »
Kent I think KVOM has a Cobra 29 forsale which is a much better radio and you can also get it tuned and peaked. That means MORE POWER.
Bobby

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
Kirk, I have a 4' somewhere, will look in the shop for it today while I'm loading.

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 09:14:57 AM »
I got a CB, i was thinking about Kirks, but its pretty big, I found a UNIDEN PRO520XL and a A-112 3.5 ft. Tunable Stainless Steel CB Antenna Whip-50 Watt from a buddy at my work, he had bought it for his Jeep about a month ago, never opened it, cause he got a nicer one for his birthday from his wife, it had been sitting in his garage ever since.  i still need the cable and cig. adapter , i found a mounting bracket on ebay.  so hopefully all i need to do is tune SWR (or what ever thats called).  so i will just bring it to the Oct. event.  can someone that has a tuneing device bring it so i can tune this at the event.  or maybe before, i still need to cutt my fenders before then.  i would love to have some bump stops put in so i dont rub.  but we will see. 

thanks to everyone , kirk had me looking in every jeep i saw to see how they mounted and what everyone had.  lot of good advice, but this was a steel.  40 bucks for both the CB and antenna, he said it cost him more but he just wanted to get rid of it. 

still need some cheap sliders to give me some protection on the sides.   the posion spider stuff looks really nice and good quality...  im kind of wanting to save so i get those sliders.  maybe xmas.  :)  i will start working on the wife now.  Muaaaa   //phantomskull// {popcorn}
Kent Casey

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 10:40:59 AM »
I got a CB, i was thinking about Kirks, but its pretty big, I found a UNIDEN PRO520XL and a A-112 3.5 ft. Tunable Stainless Steel CB Antenna Whip-50 Watt from a buddy at my work, he had bought it for his Jeep about a month ago, never opened it, cause he got a nicer one for his birthday from his wife, it had been sitting in his garage ever since.  i still need the cable and cig. adapter

I would route your power line to the battery if at all possible.  There is a pretty slick little hole that will get you to your engine compartment with those wires.  Google it and you'll probably find a picture or install write up that shows you the area.

so hopefully all i need to do is tune SWR (or what ever thats called).  so i will just bring it to the Oct. event.  can someone that has a tuneing device bring it so i can tune this at the event.

My SWR meter is in my tool bag all the time, I'll have it at Gulches.  If you get it all installed but plan to tune it at Gulches, don't transmit on it until you get it tuned.  If the SWR is way off you could damage it.

thanks to everyone , kirk had me looking in every jeep i saw to see how they mounted and what everyone had.  lot of good advice, but this was a steel.  40 bucks for both the CB and antenna, he said it cost him more but he just wanted to get rid of it.

best way to buy stuff is used, you can save a ton.

still need some cheap sliders to give me some protection on the sides.   the posion spider stuff looks really nice and good quality...  im kind of wanting to save so i get those sliders.  maybe xmas.  :)  i will start working on the wife now.  Muaaaa   //phantomskull// {popcorn}

Keep your eye out on the forums, sliders come up for sale on occasion and you may find what you are looking for.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:43:02 AM by tcdawg »

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM