BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Opinions for Off-Roading Automatic or Manual  (Read 847 times)

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
Opinions for Off-Roading Automatic or Manual
« on: January 11, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
Post up your thought and reasons
Bobby

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Opinions for Off-Roading Automatic or Manual
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
Folks that have manuals support them, and same for Autos.

I have a great respect for those that can operate a manual trans in sticky situations.

But Auto is by far the better choice for the dual purpose rig.

- Auto allows for a higher level of success for the novice and the experienced in some cases.

- Auto overcomes some gearing issues with the torque/stall converter.

- Auto allows more focus on the spotter in tough situations.

- Auto allows for an easy application of power, more smoothly for most.

- Auto does not put the clutch through hell on the trail if you don't have low gears.

Manual also has benefits, but none that benefit the driver so much, especially the novice or  //OLDSKOOL//.

Offline Lhub36

• Visitor
  • Nope wasn't me
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »
I personally will have to say manual. With some of the off camber and precarious situations you are bound to face an auto would quit pumping fluid.
Lenn

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 02:30:14 PM »
I wheeled mine with a manual for years and felt very comfortable with it, however sometimes I would kill on some hard bumps, and having to restart in a sticky situation sucks. Also I would sometimes get more throttle than I wanted, opposed to riding the clutch. I made it work and would have kept it that way, but I drive it every day in traffic, so I swapped to an auto with the engine.  Im getting old and this is alot easier to drive on the highway and offroad. I feel that most manuals are probably more reliable mechanically, not as much stuff on the inside to screw up.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline unwantedstray

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »
Having a manual currently, I would say that it is not easy at all! After a day of hard wheeling my legs hurt! I wish I had an auto just to cut down on some of the stress that driving a manual can cause.
Zack Gilbert
2005 Rubicon "Agent Orange"

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Opinions for Off-Roading Automatic or Manual
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 02:55:55 PM »
Auto. Reason comp people use auto and the auto has a tq converter thats of great help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »
I had manual on previous Jeep, auto on this one.  Auto is much easier in most situations.  Shifting from neutral to 1st with a manual when in a nose-up situation on a hill takes coordination or a strong e-brake.

And no danger of burning the clutch when learning. 

For harder-core wheeling, a reverse manual shift pattern allows hitting reverse from 1st almost instantly, something that can prevent a rollover.  That's why almost every buggy and rock racer you see had this.  The auto parking brake is almost always superior to the stock Jeep e-brake.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

BigJerm

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33:27 PM »
Auto. I drive a manual, love it, wheel it nicely but it's just easier with an auto geared correctly. The clutch doesn't mess with concentration or being able to pay attention to a spotter because the clutch is 2nd nature like a brake or gas pedal to people who use it everyday. Still it's 1 more thing to deal with. I do like being in 4Lo, 1st gear and the jeep just drives itself and going down a hill it will crawl without any brakes needed. The end of it is simple, outside of pro, manual or auto is personal choice and 1 really isn't that better than the other with 2 skilled drivers compared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »
I drive a manual everyday so shifting and clutch work doesn't bother me. There is a big price difference between manual and auto Jk's
Bobby

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »
Both have lots of pros and cons, many of which have been touched above.  I have wheeled both, and drove both around town. It comes down to personal choice and driving style.

I have ended up with the fact that a properly set up auto is for me. Geared low with a low TC, it crawls great. Keeps me smoother on the obstacles and allows me to concentrate on my spotter and the obstacle and too just have fun!  It is a hobby after all and a manual to me(at my age) is just a little more like work.

In 2wd on the road it is just easier to drive while at the mall. It's hard to drink my mochachino double latte half cafe while picking up soccer moms AND shift gears.

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
down a hill it will crawl without any brakes needed.

Auto will do this too when shifted manually into 1st gear...
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline LR Max

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 04:19:46 PM »
As much as I love a manual, go auto. If I ever buy a rock crawler/rock bouncer/dedicated trailer queen, it'll be auto.

A manual can be just as good if you have a strong engine but overall Autos are smoother.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM