BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Bad day Sunday but sometimes, you just have to laugh  (Read 270 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Bad day Sunday but sometimes, you just have to laugh
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:07:33 AM »
I'll take ownership of the dumbass of the year award for 2016. 

I rode my Harley up to Killer Creek for demo day.  I wanted to ride the 17 bikes with the new 4 valve head engine (the Milwaukee 8 or M8).

My Jeep was in the left side garage and I had the Mercedes parked outside of the right hand garage with enough room to pull the bike in on that side.  The door was closed so I left the bike in front of the garage and went into the house.  I was watching the Ravens game and at half time, I needed to put the bike away, put the top on the Jeep and move the cars around (MB goes on the left, wife's car on the right, Jeep in the driveway).

I opened the garage doors and started to move towards the bike to bring it in.  I didin't have the key so I was like, WTH I'll move the Jeep out first.  I backed the Jeep out and the rear bumper caught the saddlebag of the Harley dumping it over onto the Mercedes.  I was horrified and cussing like Hillary Clinton at a Tea Party rally. 

I immediately jumped out of the Jeep to survey the damage.  I had to pull the Jeep up to get to the bike that was laying on the front bumper and hood of the Benz.  Pulled the bike off as gently as I could and onto the stand.

Damage.  Tiny scratch on the bumper of the Benz and a nice ding on the hood near the front emblem (handlebar).  You can imagine the pit in my stomach.  Then I looked at the bike.  There is a scratch on the saddlebag lid where the bumper hit it, the right side of the gas tank has 2 dents in it, and the bottom of the exhaust pipe has a scratch. 

I buffed the front bumper of the Benz and you would only be able to see the imperfection if I pointed it out to you.  I called David at Dents and Dings in Roswell and he said to bring the Benz by at 7:30 Monday morning.  I took it by there yesterday and he got the ding out without issue. Whew.

Sunday I looked up the cost of the gas tank painted and pinstriped from the factory.  $1206 but I can get one for $965.  The scratch on the black exhaust pipe is almost underneath and not an issue.  Black Denim is tough to touch up but I ordered some paint from Color Rite for the saddlebag as a new lid is $243 discounted.  After thinking about it, I say fug it and called Geico.  My dedectible if $500 and that it what it is for.  I should have told them that the wind knocked over the bike but I was truthful and it's a collision claim on the bike and not the Jeep.  I'll take it to Killer Creek Harley to get repaired and I'll bet the repair bill will be almost $4k.  They will want to replace all scratched and dented parts.  The 2into1 exhaust pipe can only be bought complete and is $800.  We'll see how Geico responds but from talking to the dealer, they usually don't have any problems.  I'll be taking all takeoff parts with me. 

All in all it sucks but you can't cry over spilled milk so you just have to laugh about it and move on. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:30:08 AM by BigMike »

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
Re: Bad day Sundy but sometimes, you just have to laughHarle
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:14:45 AM »
Lord know all of us has done something like
that in our life time. I think the older I get
the more stuff like that don't bother me
...................it is what it is.............
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline BeerIAm

• Visitor
Re: Bad day Sundy but sometimes, you just have to laughHarle
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 10:10:43 AM »
The way the story was setting up, I thought you were going to say you saw your bike rolling by your house while you were watching the game....so I guess it could be worse.

A few years ago, with my previous car, I was in a hurry to get to work.  So I hopped in my car and backed out of the garage as I always do.  This time I didn't realize that my wife's friend had parked her car in the middle of the driveway.  Bam.  Messed up my bumper, exhaust and her front and rear doors had a few nice dents in them.  Oops.
Dan
2013 JKU

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Re: Bad day Sunday but sometimes, you just have to laugh
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »
Here are a couple pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 10:35:41 AM »
Are you sure that didn't do any damage to the jeep axles?  I think it has to have done enough damage for one ton replacements from Geico.

Glad it was all superficial.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 12:35:59 PM »
It happens.

It just makes you feel like such a complete idiot when it is silly stuff like that.  Been there, done that.

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 12:45:49 PM »
That's sucks. I hate it for you Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobby

Offline Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »
I've "been there, done that" so many times that I actually wrote a poem about it called " All you can do is laugh". My name used to be Murphy!
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM