BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: GATR's Everywhere - Buford Dam  (Read 601 times)

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
Re: GATR's Everywhere - Buford Dam
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 11:12:51 AM »
Yea the two vehicle part is really the only downside for us.  So far we have been places where we just paddle back to the truck but now i'm more interested in heading down rivers where you would need another vehicle.  There are a few outfitters that offer shuttle services on some rivers if you set it up ahead of time though.  My in-laws live on a tidal river in Savannah so that is the only river experience I have had in my kayak yet.  But even then we rode the tide out and back in.  Really looking forward to some river trips this summer!
1977 CJ5

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
I havent done any yet but I want to. Thinking about getting into the sport
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

fatrat

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »
A good boat is pretty expensive (even used).  I will probably rent the first few times to make sure I enjoy it before I drop all the $$$ on a boat.

RotorHead

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »
I've tubed from the dam down to the bridge at the Trout Farm.  It was pretty cool.  We have been taking our kayaks out a lot on lakes and ponds and the local parks around Gwinnett and Winder.  I think our next trip will be from the dam down to a good take out spot.  The river was pretty calm the whole way to the Trout Farm but i'm not real sure about after that.

Sounds like Tribble Mill. I'm not too far from there.

For those interested in kayaking the Chattahoochee, there is an outfitter at the bridge on GA 384 between 985 and Helen. They provide shuttle service and rentals. The good thing is that they take you up river and you end up back there so you don't have to wait to be picked up.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 08:29:10 PM by RotorHead »

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 09:06:59 AM »
We've kayaked at Tribble Mill about 3 times I think, Fort Yargo once, and Stone Mountain lake several times.  We love it!  We'll definitely have to check out the outfitter Rotorhead is talking about. 

I think we have about $1000 - $1100 in our two new 12' boats, jackets and paddles.  Granted they're not top of the line boats but they suit our needs just fine.
1977 CJ5

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM