BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Camcorder  (Read 587 times)

mudauber

Camcorder
« on: August 19, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »
Looking for a camera (video) to record my wheeling (and yours if I am behind you).  Been looking at the GoPro.  Like that it has a protective cover and mounting options.  Read about some problems (battery life, firmware....so on).  Anyone have this camera?  Suggestions on another selection.  Been looking and there are many small camcorders out there.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Camcorder
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »
GoPro is by far the best and has a fairly large price tag.

I have the Swann Freestyle that does most of what the GoPro does for $150. 
http://www.amazon.com/Swann-Freestyle-Waterproof-Sports-Camera/dp/B005EROCLC

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:57:44 PM »
I have a GoPro 3, silver edition.  Love it. Takes killer video and wide view pictures.  It will connect via it's own wi fi to your phone and you can use the GoPro App to remotely turn it on and off and turn the recording feature on and off.  The app has a view area as well so you can see what you are recording.  Very cool.

Online Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:26:29 PM »
I have a GoPro 3, silver edition.  Love it. Takes killer video and wide view pictures.  It will connect via it's own wi fi to your phone and you can use the GoPro App to remotely turn it on and off and turn the recording feature on and off.  The app has a view area as well so you can see what you are recording.  Very cool.

This would be awesome! I have the old style GoPro and turning it on and off is a pain.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »

This would be awesome! I have the old style GoPro and turning it on and off is a pain.

I had the first Gen GoPro for 2 or 3 years and just upgraded for this remote option.. It is really great to be able to turn the recording on and off from inside.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 01:52:33 PM »
Yes it is.  The Swann has a remote, and it is setup with a stop button and a start button so that you can hit start 5 times if you want and it runs.  No toggle wondering if it is on or off.

but the screen has to be clipped on to view video where the GoPro has it built in. Comes in handy I bet!

This is shot with the Swann... not sure it's as good as the GoPro.. but works:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:54:32 PM by Doug »

Offline frenchlayer

• Visitor
  • Josh
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »
i have the second gen go pro and love it, very versatile little camera.
Josh and Solenn (Frenchy)

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »
I am a fan of the gopro. I have the 2 with a handful of add ons, but wish I have the 3
Jay

mudauber

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  My nephew, who is a tech geek, talked me in a GoPro3 black edition with battery pack and LCD pack ( + suction mount for the JK).  He uses two GoPro's for 3D diving film.  Headed to town tomorrow and if the wife doesn't watch to close will have one tomorrow.  I will probably have a steep learning curve but hope to be filming by Jeepfest.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07:31 PM »
You will love it.

Offline frenchlayer

• Visitor
  • Josh
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 10:31:21 PM »
It's easy to use

Sent from the ether
Josh and Solenn (Frenchy)

mudauber

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
Just got home with my new GoPro black edition.  Added the LCD and battery pack plus suction and tripod mount.  They had a roll bar mount but I wasn't sure I would need it.  Now I need to go down to the basement and dig out my old 35mm camera stuff to see if I can find that nice tripod I had many years ago.  Yes, it was a little pricey but the wife wasn't looking.   //::)//  I'm Off to open boxes and play!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM