BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Tj dana 30 parts  (Read 3090 times)

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Tj dana 30 parts
« on: January 19, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »
Looking for some chrome for the 30. Not sure if anybody had some they wanted to split with before I buy new. Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Alex

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 06:55:52 PM »
Looking for chromoly axles?

Sent off camber

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
Re: Tj dana 30 parts
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
Yes he is.

He should wait a year and buy mine when I go tons.

Keep stock shafts and that u joint as as your fuse, don't make it your R&P.
Will

94 seXj

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »

Sent off camber

Sure am. Decided to just build my 30.

Will how long you looking realistically? You got the hp 30?

Alex

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 07:35:28 PM »
I would like to start pulling my junk apart after Gulches or the November trip, but who knows.

I have a HP 30 with a Lokka locker (Same thing as an Aussie-parent company from Australia), 10 factory chromos, Yukon 4.56's, a mother earth loved SOLID cover, and LCA skids.
Will

94 seXj

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Re: Re: Tj dana 30 parts
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 07:54:33 PM »
So other than the hp 30 and gears and obvious shafts we are pretty much the same route. Not sure if I am going to be able to wait till November. Especially with the rides planned for the year. We will see though

Alex

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 08:51:45 PM »

Sent off camber

Sure am. Decided to just build my 30.

Will how long you looking realistically? You got the hp 30?

What do you mean by "build"?  Are you doing selectable locker, new gears, chromo (27 spline or 30 spline), big brake kit, truss, etc?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 09:34:16 PM »
Start with chromo (still exploring this option) then do gears and selectable lockers later on. Still fairly pleased with the current setup, but could really use a rear locker. Also look into a truss (probably sooner than later)

Alex

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re:
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 09:56:56 PM »
Start with chromo (still exploring this option) then do gears and selectable lockers later on. Still fairly pleased with the current setup, but could really use a rear locker. Also look into a truss (probably sooner than later)

If you get to the point of doing gears and/or a truss, consider going HP D30;  They're easy to get, cheap, and are supposed to be internally stronger.  If you truss it, you'll probably continue building it, so that's why I would go to the HP30 versus building on the LP30.  What gears do you have now?  Was lack of a locker the cause of the broken joint (shock load caused by wheel speed at a point where traction was found by that wheel)?

Finally, that LP D30 has some value to someone out there, so the cost of going to the HP30 can be offset.  If you still have a D35...it has value too (Ford 8.8s are easy to find and are a dream to build...cake).  Will (94xjsport94) found a buyer for mine and he smiled while handing over the money...I'm still amazed.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »
Time to ask what your end goal is too. I am still in disbelief that people buy RCV's for a 30. The Truss will help lessen the gear deflection through housing flex (I think carrier flex is more pronounced in a 30 due to it's relatively small size) but you would only have an issue with a lot of housing gear deflection in reverse of a HP 30. They no likey reverse.
Will

94 seXj

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 07:04:40 PM »

If you get to the point of doing gears and/or a truss, consider going HP D30;  They're easy to get, cheap, and are supposed to be internally stronger.  If you truss it, you'll probably continue building it, so that's why I would go to the HP30 versus building on the LP30.  What gears do you have now?  Was lack of a locker the cause of the broken joint (shock load caused by wheel speed at a point where traction was found by that wheel)?

Finally, that LP D30 has some value to someone out there, so the cost of going to the HP30 can be offset.  If you still have a D35...it has value too (Ford 8.8s are easy to find and are a dream to build...cake).  Will (94xjsport94) found a buyer for mine and he smiled while handing over the money...I'm still amazed.

Well I plan on building and sticking with it. I am going to explore the hp30 option. Really looking for something to have for the long term and will be able to take some abuse.

Also I have a auto locker in the front. I am pretty sure what happened is that I got the tire in a bind on the wall and just caught a weak U joint and axle. I also feel that first gear with the 4-1 transfer case in 4lo and my 3.73 gears at a slow crawl let it bind up with no tire spin.

And I already have a Dana 44 rear unlocked that I was planning on staying to build soon, guess I will just do the front and rear at the same time now.

Alex

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 07:16:16 PM »
I'm sure there is a guy around this forum who will tell you to RCV the front axle.  A cool $1K will take away pain from broken axle shaft u-joints (very tempting when you consider the cost of standard chromoly).  You might find pain elsewhere though (see Will's comments for details). :)

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM