BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Need opinions on a few products ill be most likely buying in a month or so  (Read 1393 times)

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
When running the RCV's in the Dana 30, what is the weak link? The ring gear? Driveshaft?

Ring gear via carrier and housing deflection. I think RCV's in a 30 is plain silly, IMO.

I don't think so, IMO. There is less bind when a front locker is engaged so therefore it's easier to turn. When it breaks, they won't take your ball joint out. I have given pure hell to mine. I will pick the front end of the jeep up with one 37" stickie tire and away they turn. U joint is stressed when it hard over and easier to break especially if it hits an undercut.

Every time a u joint breaks it doesn't separate a ball joint. Cheaper to replace when they if/ do break, and you can have spares at every parts store ever.

I think they're awesome in a 44 or 60, but the 30 is so small that I don't a point. The ring gear is small compared to a 44.
Will

94 seXj

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
When running the RCV's in the Dana 30, what is the weak link? The ring gear? Driveshaft?

Ring gear via carrier and housing deflection. I think RCV's in a 30 is plain silly, IMO.

I don't think so, IMO. There is less bind when a front locker is engaged so therefore it's easier to turn. When it breaks, they won't take your ball joint out. I have given pure hell to mine. I will pick the front end of the jeep up with one 37" stickie tire and away they turn. U joint is stressed when it hard over and easier to break especially if it hits an undercut.

Every time a u joint breaks it doesn't separate a ball joint. Cheaper to replace when they if/ do break, and you can have spares at every parts store ever.

I think they're awesome in a 44 or 60, but the 30 is so small that I don't a point. The ring gear is small compared to a 44.

I agree. A nice set of chromo shafts like Ten Factory in a D30 is a smart play.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER

I agree it doesn't but saying that it's a possibility.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
If you got the money, rcv is gonna be the best shaft upgrade regardless of the axle. Why go with something in the middle when you can afford the best. On that thought as long as you know that you won't go larger than 37s or swap to larger axle down the road, then nothing wrong with polishing a d30.  Not a bad axle in real life when you treat them right. Most get replaced long before the owner ever breaks something serious.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline OscarMike2.0

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
If you got the money, rcv is gonna be the best shaft upgrade regardless of the axle. Why go with something in the middle when you can afford the best. On that thought as long as you know that you won't go larger than 37s or swap to larger axle down the road, then nothing wrong with polishing a d30.  Not a bad axle in real life when you treat them right. Most get replaced long before the owner ever breaks something serious.

Honestly I could afford to buy a d60 front and rear (not to be cocky) but I dont see the point. I will never run anything bigger than 37s or 38s and I dont really do an hardcore offroading. I would much rather put the money from a front and rear d60 into my porsche or a ripp supercharger

So enough rambling but I think I will stay with everything I had on my original list
-Will   

They hate us cause the anus

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
I thought 35's were seriously pushing the limits on a locked Dana 30. I've never seen your off road habits &  driving style but if you think you'll ever want 38's you need to just go 1 tons. IMO.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER

Honestly I could afford to buy a d60 front and rear (not to be cocky) but I dont see the point. I will never run anything bigger than 37s or 38s and I dont really do an hardcore offroading. I would much rather put the money from a front and rear d60 into my porsche or a ripp supercharger

So enough rambling but I think I will stay with everything I had on my original list

If you can roll a 60, then do it. I can tell you know that a D30 or D44 really don't like 37's and bigger if you know how to use the skinny. If I'm backing down something, its usually coming back on at full speed. I would run the rock jock hp60 front and rock jock 60 rear. Sale your stock stuff. In the long run it won't break easily, the price won't be that different by the time you order all the trusses, lockers, steering, track bar, and on on for your current set up. That's me
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Online Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Re:
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 07:33:15 AM »
I was in a similar situation last year. I was getting ready to beef up my d30 with locker, shafts, truss, etc. I decided that long term it may be a bad decision since I will eventually go to 37s and resale on a built d30 is not great. I decided to spend a little more and go with a built pr44. Good luck with the decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Jay

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Need opinions on a few products ill be most likely buying in a month or so
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »
The 38" tires are typically real wide, 14.50. It's pretty much like running a 40 with the cutting/trimming, bump stops and weight. The 37" tire offers more selection, less money and it's a more "typical" size...if you ever needed to borrow a trail spare
It's much more likely someone will have a 37 than a 38.

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
On the trail, could you compensate for the size difference with air pressure (over inflate the 37, under inflate the 38; obviously with enough pressure to hold a bad) and get through the trail?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
I'm sure you could just to get off the trail. I'd unlock the axle if it was selectable as well
Will

94 seXj

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
On the trail, could you compensate for the size difference with air pressure (over inflate the 37, under inflate the 38; obviously with enough pressure to hold a bad) and get through the trail?

You can run whatever size as long as the diff is open. If you cannot unlock it then they must be the same size or things will break.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM