BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Making Synthetic Rope  (Read 1419 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Making Synthetic Rope
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
super easy.  i have made several been selling them to guys at work that back pack and use hammocks.   easy peasy.   if you want, when im up for gulches, i can bring some spare rope and show you how.  .   i feel really good, if my rope breaks, i can make a splice that will hold.   

Kent
I would really like to learn how to do that.  A darn good skill to have if you run syn rope on your winch.

yup, easy, i can teach you, i can bring the smaller rope if u want to learn on it. 

@clark, yea i know it distributes evenly.  and its good to have, they do not add much cost to the end product.  i plan on having it on mine.

The rope thimble on my Warn line was very heavy duty.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »
Clark, yes the thimble, but didn't want to confuse my question with the Safety Thimble for clevis hooks. 

Very easy to do Tony with the right tools:
http://www.amazon.com/Koch-Industries-Splicing-Fids-Black/dp/B00JQIPN3Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1411571066&sr=1-2&keywords=fid

Kent, winch ropes and hammock ropes are very different.  The issue is safety for you and the others around you.  Recovery and winching are some of the most dangerous things we do when off-roading. 

Amsteel makes great rope, but if you are going to use it around the group and sell them, you should have one tested to know what the limits of your ends are.  I have no doubt they are very strong. I spent years in the hoist and crane industry and have seen plenty of failures of new equipment.  It never happens at a good time.  A 5000# jeep hung up in the rocks creates a ton of of force.

Trail repair is another story.  Do what ya gotta do.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:25:27 AM by Doug »

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 11:40:09 AM »
Clark, yes the thimble, but didn't want to confuse my question with the Safety Thimble for clevis hooks. 

Very easy to do Tony with the right tools:
http://www.amazon.com/Koch-Industries-Splicing-Fids-Black/dp/B00JQIPN3Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1411571066&sr=1-2&keywords=fid

Kent, winch ropes and hammock ropes are very different.  The issue is safety for you and the others around you.  Recovery and winching are some of the most dangerous things we do when off-roading. 

Amsteel makes great rope, but if you are going to use it around the group and sell them, you should have one tested to know what the limits of your ends are.  I have no doubt they are very strong. I spent years in the hoist and crane industry and have seen plenty of failures of new equipment.  It never happens at a good time.  A 5000# jeep hung up in the rocks creates a ton of of force.

Trail repair is another story.  Do what ya gotta do.

Doug, the only difference in hammock rope and winch rope, is the size.  same type of rope.   the rope i have is Amsteel blue, same rope on my hammock, just smaller.  ;)  maybe a few extras, but basicaly the same.   
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:48:23 AM by kent10sne1 »
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 11:53:20 AM »
Growing up around boats all my life that is one of  the first things I learned. It is a very cool thing to learn and doesn't take long to do
I always used a Bic Pen tube to guide the rope.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:54:21 AM by cru9 »
Bobby

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
Doug, the only difference in hammock rope and winch rope, is the size.  same type of rope.   the rope i have is Amsteel blue, same rope on my hammock, just smaller.  ;)  maybe a few extras, but basicaly the same.   

The strength and stress in use are very different.  Well, a hammock with my fat arse in it would be about the same.

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 12:19:08 PM »
Stop, your fat arse..  lol   what im saying is, its the same rope.  Amsteel Blue.   they dont do anything different to it based on the size, the smaller rope, has a far less holding strength.

here is the chart with all the sizes and specs.  but amsteel blue is the same rope, my winch line is made from, they did nothing special to it other than add all the tidbits ... 

www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Product.aspx?ProductID=872
Kent Casey

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »
Kent I missed. How much saving making it verse buying say 3/8 x 80'
Bobby

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »
Well a place i buy from was having a sale, but its over now it would have been about 165 for 80  but now the sale is over so 80 feet is about 275.  plus a few dollars more for the extras.  its currently 3.44 a foot.  for that size.  but i always come across sales.  the one that started this was 40%  but i wanted to buy more rope, to save on shipping but the sale was for only 1 day, and no one here seemed to commit. to buy, just dont want to front $ for a bunch of rope if no one is interested.    would love to get 100 feet.   80 for the line and then make a 20 extension.  to keep with me.  very light, and super strong.

maybe if it happens again, i will make a new post to try and do a group by for the rope, just need people to commit.   best to buy 100 feet segments.  the have several colors.  black, blue, gree, silver, and red,
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:06:45 PM by kent10sne1 »
Kent Casey

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 01:09:05 PM »
Gotcha!
Bobby

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »
Took a look at my commercially spliced winch rope with the thimble and eye - tail is embedded about 8" in the splice.  If you look at the Sampson Rope documentation they recommend 3 "fid lengths" for the bury, and a fid length for 3/8" rope is 4.8".

However, this spec is for yielding a splice that is 95% or better of the breaking strength of the rope, which for 3/8" Amsteel is about 19,000 pounds.  The rope will break long before the splice can pull out.

If Kent does an 8" bury in 3/8" Amsteel it will be a safe rope, even with Doug pulling on it.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 01:31:23 PM »
Stop, your fat arse..  lol   what im saying is, its the same rope.  Amsteel Blue.   they dont do anything different to it based on the size, the smaller rope, has a far less holding strength.

here is the chart with all the sizes and specs.  but amsteel blue is the same rope, my winch line is made from, they did nothing special to it other than add all the tidbits ... 

www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Product.aspx?ProductID=872

Kent... Forget the rope.  It's not the rope that needs testing.

The part of the assembly that would be tested is your modification to the rope, the handiwork, the craftsmanship, the thimble loop... .

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »
Took a look at my commercially spliced winch rope with the thimble and eye - tail is embedded about 8" in the splice.  If you look at the Sampson Rope documentation they recommend 3 "fid lengths" for the bury, and a fid length for 3/8" rope is 4.8".

However, this spec is for yielding a splice that is 95% or better of the breaking strength of the rope, which for 3/8" Amsteel is about 19,000 pounds.  The rope will break long before the splice can pull out.

If Kent does an 8" bury in 3/8" Amsteel it will be a safe rope, even with Doug pulling on it.

That is the theory.  Chinese handcuff.

Kent, are you splitting the rope with a braid knot as well?

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM