BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Making Synthetic Rope  (Read 1437 times)

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
Re: Making Synthetic Rope
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 07:02:54 AM »
I looked at my current rope, its still good, so for the time, i will wait, its just good to know i can make my own cheaper than i can buy it.  now that i have been making these fixed ends for my hammock, same thing, just larger rope.  and i found a place to buy the stuff.  i can wait till the rope goes on sale again, and maybe pick up 100 feet.   make a 80 foot line, and a 20 foot extension. 
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 07:07:39 AM »
Can you post a picture of how you terminate the hook end of the rope?
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 07:51:40 AM »
Are you using a thimble and threading it back in?

Where are you buying the rope?  The atlanta area sling shops always have partial spools they are willing to sell at a discount.  Call Ashley Sling. 

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 08:05:24 AM »
Are you using a thimble and threading it back in?

Where are you buying the rope?  The atlanta area sling shops always have partial spools they are willing to sell at a discount.  Call Ashley Sling. 

I create a fixed loop.  same way when you make the suspension using amsteel 7/64, I looked at how they make the fixed loops for winch lines, its exacltly the same way you do it for hammocks, just larger rope.     google fixed loop. then you bury the extra line, and you can heat shrink or cover the bury if you want.   all the attachments and metal ends are also easy to attach, found them at a marine store that sells the amsteel blue.   i have a small version of what i think you want to see.   this is using 7/65  same thing for larger rope, and use a larger metal part, get them from the same place, the verison in the pic fits the 7/64  they have them for all sizes

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:06:43 AM by kent10sne1 »
Kent Casey

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 08:22:15 AM »
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 08:29:27 AM »
super easy.  i have made several been selling them to guys at work that back pack and use hammocks.   easy peasy.   if you want, when im up for gulches, i can bring some spare rope and show you how.  .   i feel really good, if my rope breaks, i can make a splice that will hold.    i was concerned until i started making these for hammock suspension and found out , i use the same rope, just smaller.. 

I can make all kinds of stuff , contineious loops, extensions, soft-shackles etc...
Making a Soft Shackle
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:33:03 AM by kent10sne1 »
Kent Casey

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »
Are the parts like the loop brace rated?  Winching requires much higher loads than small boat stuff.  Just don't want them to collapse on you. 

Highly recommend testing the pull strength on your joints too before placing under heavy load.  I've done all of that with dock and ski ropes but wouldn't do one for my winch or mountain climbing etc without having it tested. 

Ace Hoist in Lilburn has a hydraulic test bed where they trst and certify commercial slings and chain hoists etc.  Bet they would do one for you for free. 

Even do a destructive test and find out where they will break.  They would just need a short piece with loops on each end.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:12:33 AM by Doug »

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 09:27:40 AM »
@Doug, been working with Amsteel Blue for a while, no worries about "Load", the loop brace is rated, but is mainly used to keep the rope from rubbing on the metal.   once i make a wench fixed end, i will test it on my rig.  but im 100% sure this will hold.  its all in the knot and how you do it.   if your skeptable then buy your rope from a vendor.   My issue is.  I know how its made, I made it, I trust it..  if u get somone else, then u have to trust they did the knot correctly...  its all personal.   for me, its a cheaper solution and its something I made, so I trust it.   but yes, i will and have planned to test my own stuff, not in as extensive as how u do, but i will just pull my self up a hill with some load.  but im confident the fixed loop will hold.   it hold me, on 7/64 which is much smaller... :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:29:21 AM by kent10sne1 »
Kent Casey

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 10:13:17 AM »
@Doug, been working with Amsteel Blue for a while, no worries about "Load", the loop brace is rated, but is mainly used to keep the rope from rubbing on the metal.   once i make a wench fixed end, i will test it on my rig.  but im 100% sure this will hold.  its all in the knot and how you do it.   if your skeptable then buy your rope from a vendor.   My issue is.  I know how its made, I made it, I trust it..  if u get somone else, then u have to trust they did the knot correctly...  its all personal.   for me, its a cheaper solution and its something I made, so I trust it.   but yes, i will and have planned to test my own stuff, not in as extensive as how u do, but i will just pull my self up a hill with some load.  but im confident the fixed loop will hold.   it hold me, on 7/64 which is much smaller... :)

By "loop brace", do you mean the silver metal thing in the picture below?

If so, that "loop brace" (also known as a 'rope thimble') is equally there to distribute forces across a larger area of rope to maintain full rope strength.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »
super easy.  i have made several been selling them to guys at work that back pack and use hammocks.   easy peasy.   if you want, when im up for gulches, i can bring some spare rope and show you how.  .   i feel really good, if my rope breaks, i can make a splice that will hold.   

Kent
I would really like to learn how to do that.  A darn good skill to have if you run syn rope on your winch.

Offline frenchlayer

• Visitor
  • Josh
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
This is pretty cool

Sent from the ether
Josh and Solenn (Frenchy)

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »
super easy.  i have made several been selling them to guys at work that back pack and use hammocks.   easy peasy.   if you want, when im up for gulches, i can bring some spare rope and show you how.  .   i feel really good, if my rope breaks, i can make a splice that will hold.   

Kent
I would really like to learn how to do that.  A darn good skill to have if you run syn rope on your winch.

yup, easy, i can teach you, i can bring the smaller rope if u want to learn on it. 

@clark, yea i know it distributes evenly.  and its good to have, they do not add much cost to the end product.  i plan on having it on mine.
Kent Casey

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM