BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Keen hiking boots  (Read 984 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Keen hiking boots
« on: July 05, 2015, 09:22:20 PM »
I needed to retread my feet since my BassPro Red Head hiking boots are biting the dust after two years of use when wheeling.

I tried on all of the hiking boots in my general size range from Merrell, Vasque, Asolo, Keen, and Lowa at REI, Cabelas, and Abba Dabbas.  The only ones that fit comfortably were the Keen (in multiple styles), so I grabbed a couple of styles to wear around the house to decide which to keep.  I was wearing a sock liner and wool socks.

Are Keen worth keeping, or should I return them and continue my search?  Cost is of no concern; I want comfort and durability/quality, in that order.   The biggest issues I see is that Keen does not use GoreTex for waterproofing and they don't use Vibram for the soles;  they have their own stuff for both.  Any quality issues to be concerned about? For you skinny boys, imagine you were carrying a very heavy pack (hundred+ lbs) if you're going to get technical!

Typical Google search results ..they suck and they're awesome!

Seriously, thanks.

Clark

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Keen hiking boots
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 09:26:58 PM »
I have a set of keen hiking boots and they are a little over a year old and so far so good.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »
I bought a pair of Keen on the used rack at an REI sale. Weird I know. But they are very comfortable and I'm not in the skinny-guy category. I haven't had them long enough to comment on durability...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:18:37 AM »
I wouldn't  buy a pair of non-waterproof boots for hiking.  Otherwise comfort/fit is the main criterium.  My last two pairs have been Timberland (bought at Bennie's).
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 09:05:06 AM »
Are Keen worth keeping, or should I return them and continue my search?  Cost is of no concern; I want comfort and durability/quality, in that order.   The biggest issues I see is that Keen does not use GoreTex for waterproofing and they don't use Vibram for the soles;  they have their own stuff for both.  Any quality issues to be concerned about? For you skinny boys, imagine you were carrying a very heavy pack (hundred+ lbs) if you're going to get technical!

Seriously, thanks.

Clark

My Keen's have kept my feet dry in lots of rain and mud so I would say that their waterproofing is good, even though it may not be GoreTex. 
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Michigunman

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »

Seriously, thanks.

Clark

My Keen's have kept my feet dry in lots of rain and mud so I would say that their waterproofing is good, even though it may not be GoreTex. 

Good to know.  I have been wearing Timberlands for years as they fit my feet well and last (almost) forever.  With that being said it's time for a new pair, thanks for the reminder.
Mark
2003 TJ Sport with some mods
1998 TJ with more mods

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »
My research indicated that you should try on the boots for comfort as even different models from the same brand could foot very different. 

Based on the feedback in this thread, I will likely keep one pair (the one from REI).  REI has a one year warranty, so if they fail in the first year I'll get them replaced at REI.  Based on the internet's live for Vibram, I hope I don't regret it...we'll find out soon.

I didn't try on Timberlands, but I wonder if I should have since they last forever.  I may look at some Tims soon.

- Carl

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 12:33:11 PM »
I wear a pair of low cut Keen's while wheeling. Had them for at least 4 years, no problems w them at all. They are not technically waterproof but they keep my feet dry unless I submerge them over the ankle.

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »
Jacqie wears a low top Keen hiking that has their version if waterproofing and shoes have held up very good. I have owned several pair if there casual shoes and they are very comfortable.
Bobby

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 05:42:03 PM »
Thanks for additional votes of confidence with keen.  They got well right now, so I'm just going to keep them.

- Carl

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »
I have a pair of Keens that I would call summer hiking shoes that are definitely not waterproof.  I have to say I F'n love them.  I would wear them every day if I could.  I don't really do much hiking but for wheeling and RZR'ing, and just casual walking around, or any kind of recreation, I wouldn't trade them for anything.  This is the first pair I have owned and I will definitely buy another pair when these are toast.  I already purchased a pair of their snow boots last winter and couldn't be happier with them either. 
Seth
07 Rubicon Unlimited on 37s

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 03:57:56 PM »
This is the exact pair.  I got them at REI but I don't think they carry them any more.

Seth
07 Rubicon Unlimited on 37s

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM