BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Ordered Pitbull Tires / thoughts on building a off road rig  (Read 2305 times)

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
Re: Ordered Pitbull Tires / thoughts on building a off road rig
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2016, 06:05:48 AM »
So, I have a question for anyone that ordered, Wed. using the code to get 50%.   after I ordered, i got an email with my order# and the correct price, showing the discount code.   this morning checking my order on the site, it shows the full price.  ?   are you guys seeing the same thing.  I am guessing its a glitch cause i have an email showing the correct price (50% off), but on their site, it shows a much larger $$  :(    just making sure i dont need to panic.

I am also going to order 4 of those Beadlocks from @Danny Kinder  this am.  and once my tires come in, have them installed.  I may do the spare my self once i get that one.. but I think I will take Don's and a few others advice.  its worth it to let the Allsouth team and the knowledge of it being done right with them.  ;)   
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 06:14:03 AM »
click on view/change order to see it kent
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2016, 07:23:35 AM »
What Kevin said.  Kent, I saw the same thing & kinda panicked. Went to change/review & saw the correct amount.

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2016, 08:09:40 AM »
For me, I will never do JY axles again.  I'll just buy new axles equipped how I want them.   I think alot of it has to do with my OCD and meticulous nature.
Remind me,
Which JY axles you have?
What you did or had done to them?
Who did the work on them?
What you don't like about them?
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2016, 08:35:16 AM »
For me, I will never do JY axles again.  I'll just buy new axles equipped how I want them.   I think alot of it has to do with my OCD and meticulous nature.
Remind me,
Which JY axles you have?
What you did or had done to them?
Who did the work on them?
What you don't like about them?

I should qualify this with the fact that I am very happy with the axles now and how they are performing but I wish I had done things differently.  Namely, single source.  I should have just worked with Allsouth and not had 2 different parties involved.  Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to do it myself so I have to rely on someone else.  Here are some highlights of my saga.

I got a Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear.  I sourced them through Hudlow.  He sent me pics of the axles and then we spoke on the phone a few times.  I made a trip to his shop (2 hrs one way) looked at the physical axles and then we discussed a plan and cost and made a deal.  A few weeks later I went and picked them up and then dropped them at Allsouth for them to put under the Jeep.  The deal with Hudlow was that he would install all of the gears.  All was well.  I did my break in and gear oil change and then wheeled it on a couple trips and brought it back to Allsouth to torque check everything and change the gear lube and check the R&P.  The rear end R&P had a problem (larger than normal chunks of metal in the oil) and when pulled apart it appeared that surface on the drivers side where the race, bearing, cap sits was hosed.  To Allsouth it appeared that this was probably how it was when I got it.  So, on the phone with Steve Hudlow and I had Allsouth pull the rear end and I trailered to Hudlow (4 hr roundtrip).  Hudlow checked the entire housing and concluded that the tubes were not true and since he didn't install the rear truss, he pointed the finger at Allsouth.  Long story short, Hudlow ended up straightening out the rear end and then I had another 4 hr roundtrip to get the rear end.  I also had to buy a new R&P (fortunately the ARB locker was fine).  As a way to apologize for the hassle, Hudlow did surprise me by making a set of chromo rear 35 spline axle shafts.  All in all, lots of hassle but all is good in the end.  Although I will say that one of the things I was emphatic with Hudlow about is that I wanted everything changed and replaced with new (bearings / seals) and earlier this year I had a mystery sound in the front drivers side axle and Allsouth discovered the wheel bearing was junk.  I had both fronts replaced.  I have been running these axles for less than 2 years and I find it hard to believe the wheel bearings would have worn that fast, so I suspect they were never changed.

As noted, lesson learned for me is to single source this stuff.

Larry - this is probably not a problem you would ever have since you have the know how to do most/all of this yourself.   
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2016, 09:14:49 AM »

I should qualify this with the fact that I am very happy with the axles now and how they are performing but I wish I had done things differently.  Namely, single source.  I should have just worked with Allsouth and not had 2 different parties involved.  Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to do it myself so I have to rely on someone else.  Here are some highlights of my saga.

I got a Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear.  I sourced them through Hudlow.  He sent me pics of the axles and then we spoke on the phone a few times.  I made a trip to his shop (2 hrs one way) looked at the physical axles and then we discussed a plan and cost and made a deal.  A few weeks later I went and picked them up and then dropped them at Allsouth for them to put under the Jeep.  The deal with Hudlow was that he would install all of the gears.  All was well.  I did my break in and gear oil change and then wheeled it on a couple trips and brought it back to Allsouth to torque check everything and change the gear lube and check the R&P.  The rear end R&P had a problem (larger than normal chunks of metal in the oil) and when pulled apart it appeared that surface on the drivers side where the race, bearing, cap sits was hosed.  To Allsouth it appeared that this was probably how it was when I got it.  So, on the phone with Steve Hudlow and I had Allsouth pull the rear end and I trailered to Hudlow (4 hr roundtrip).  Hudlow checked the entire housing and concluded that the tubes were not true and since he didn't install the rear truss, he pointed the finger at Allsouth.  Long story short, Hudlow ended up straightening out the rear end and then I had another 4 hr roundtrip to get the rear end.  I also had to buy a new R&P (fortunately the ARB locker was fine).  As a way to apologize for the hassle, Hudlow did surprise me by making a set of chromo rear 35 spline axle shafts.  All in all, lots of hassle but all is good in the end.  Although I will say that one of the things I was emphatic with Hudlow about is that I wanted everything changed and replaced with new (bearings / seals) and earlier this year I had a mystery sound in the front drivers side axle and Allsouth discovered the wheel bearing was junk.  I had both fronts replaced.  I have been running these axles for less than 2 years and I find it hard to believe the wheel bearings would have worn that fast, so I suspect they were never changed.

Larry - this is probably not a problem you would ever have since you have the know how to do most/all of this yourself.   

Thanks for explanation of your situation and I can see why you would do things differently. Glad to see it worked out. I have only bought a few parts from Hudlow and have never had them do any work for me. I buy stuff from Allsouth from time to time but it is 4-hour trip for me to pick up anything that can't be dropped shipped to my house. I have a machine shop friend who does any work that I can't do, Like retubing housings and crazy stuff like that.

Nothing wrong with paying a quality shop or individual to work on your ride. Even if I a big baller budget (I would have one hell of a personal shop) I would still work on my own stuff because I have grown up working on cars, trucks, and stuff and I like doing it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:18:13 AM by lt99ls1 »
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2016, 09:20:56 AM »

Good info John. Do you know what your front Dana 60 was out of initially?
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »
Good info John. Do you know what your front Dana 60 was out of initially?

Unfortunately no.  Hudlow didn't have it documented...  It's a ball joint D60 but earlier than the 05+
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2016, 10:17:45 AM »
Did the truss mess up the rear housing thus causing the ring gear to go?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »

Hudlow claimed that the welding/heating of the tubes when the truss was installed caused the tubes to curve up to the truss which in turn caused the shafts to come in at an angle and that caused my carrier issue.  Again, finger pointing and heresay.  In the end, he used his equipment to heat the entire housing with the truss on it and straightened it and then repaired the seat for the race in the housing.  I change my gear oil in the rear after every ride and so far it's been fine.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline bjeep

• Visitor
  • Do one thing today to make tomorrow better.
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2016, 10:49:14 AM »

Hudlow claimed that the welding/heating of the tubes when the truss was installed caused the tubes to curve up to the truss which in turn caused the shafts to come in at an angle and that caused my carrier issue.  Again, finger pointing and heresay.  In the end, he used his equipment to heat the entire housing with the truss on it and straightened it and then repaired the seat for the race in the housing.  I change my gear oil in the rear after every ride and so far it's been fine.

That is a common problem when trussing an axle. //SLAMIN//
Marty

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2016, 10:51:34 AM »
Heat can warp a house bad. Helpful to use true bars and others things to keep it from happening.

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM