BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Ditching the off-roading hobby.......  (Read 2678 times)

Chris Hyde

Ditching the off-roading hobby.......
« on: May 18, 2008, 05:10:15 PM »
How many have pondered selling out with all the wheeling places that are closing down or getting shut down?  I am seriously considering getting back into street cars and drag racing.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
Re: Ditching the off-roading hobby.......
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 05:14:28 PM »
My grandpa always said winners never quit and quitters never win  :P But, I do miss the rumble of a cammin' foxbody. I'll probably start on the Mustang project seriously after I get out of school and get my own house. Any motorsport is going to have its opponents. I'm sure most of the naysayers probably drove Yugos in highschool, got laughed at, and are trying to get even now.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Chris Hyde

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 05:16:54 PM »
There's no winning when your sport is getting hacked by the greenies and your hands are tied.  If Aetna gets closed, the closest place worth wheeling will be Tellico, which is 2.5 hours away and I don't imagine it will stay open more than another year or 2 max.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »
Greenies seem to be going after drag racing just as much, well, if you have a street driven track car atleast. They are all morons anyway; saw a car the other day with a bumper sticker that said "Damn the politicians, don't dam the rivers" and another that said "Save our lakes". I wanted to tell him how lakes are made, lol.
- Jimmy

fatrat

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 07:12:44 PM »
I have always been more in to road coarse racing (SCCA) however I took my son (13yrs old) to Pinks All Out last Saturday and watching those cars go down the strip was awesome!  I have watched Pinks for years on TV and always thought it was cool but you don't get the full experience until you are at the strip!!!  There was a bad ass Dodge Ram Diesel w/ propane injection that made the crowd stand everytime it pulled up to the line.

Back to the topic: I have not been able to do ANY off road this year due to family (new baby and family illness) but I hope to be able to make it to Tellico the end of June just in case it does get closed down.  It is sad to see all the places I used to be able to go off road being closed, gated or posted.  It is because of the idiots that go out there and trash it that make the rest of us look bad.  I hope we as a group can get together more to go out and help clean up areas to show the "greenies" that we do care about the earth too but we want to be able to enjoy it in our own way.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 08:21:46 PM »
I hope we as a group can get together more to go out and help clean up areas to show the "greenies" that we do care about the earth too but we want to be able to enjoy it in our own way.

X 2!!

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:29:10 PM »
I'm goin down with the ship. No way am I givin up my favorite thing and one I have spent so much time and $ on. There will always be somewhere to wheel.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 08:52:49 PM »
There will always be somewhere to wheel.

Aetna is public land. Tellico is a national (or state?) park. But you still have those places that are private like River Rock and Morris Mountain. But I'm sure that those will start getting more expensive as they have to keep up with enviromental regulations.

But I just don't know what I would do if I had to get out of the 4x4 scene. Insurance would be too much for me. Maybe tractor pulls?
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 08:53:29 PM »
I'm goin down with the ship. No way am I givin up my favorite thing and one I have spent so much time and $ on. There will always be somewhere to wheel.

I like my Jeep. Too much I guess. But I'm with Ben. Nobody's taking this thing from me. There will always be somewhere to wheel. I'll crawl parking lot curbs if I have to  ;)
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 08:55:10 PM »
There will always be somewhere to wheel.

Aetna is public land. Tellico is a national (or state?) park. But you still have those places that are private like River Rock and Morris Mountain. But I'm sure that those will start getting more expensive as they have to keep up with enviromental regulations.

But I just don't know what I would do if I had to get out of the 4x4 scene. Insurance would be too much for me. Maybe tractor pulls?

I definitely feel the insurance thing. 80 in a 35 will do that  ;D 
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 09:35:38 PM »

Your 21st birthday will help insurance a lot. Counting down the days to 25 now......
- Jimmy

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »

Your 21st birthday will help insurance a lot. Counting down the days to 25 now......

Oh believe me, I got that ticket when I was 16 and I'll be more excited about my insurance when I turn 21, than being able to buy alcohol. Well.... maybe  ;D         

:D
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM