BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Chain Saws  (Read 741 times)

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Chain Saws
« on: September 09, 2020, 10:20:49 PM »
Looking at the stihl ms250 and 261. Anyone have any experience using both? Main differences seem to be the bar tensioner and some emissions equipment
Travis Macdonald
Crossthreading is nature's locktite

Offline Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Chain Saws
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 06:24:12 AM »
For a dealer reference, I picked up one from Georgia Chain Saw in CHAMBLEE a few years back. 

I need to look at the model I ended up with, but they didn't let me over buy.  In fact I ended up with a used chain saw and its been great.

Roswell doesn't allow cutting of trees, so not sure why you need a large chainsaw in the jeep. 
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 06:26:50 AM »
For a dealer reference, I picked up one from Georgia Chain Saw in CHAMBLEE a few years back. 

I need to look at the model I ended up with, but they didn't let me over buy.  In fact I ended up with a used chain saw and its been great.

Roswell doesn't allow cutting of trees, so not sure why you need a large chainsaw in the jeep.
I’ve got a lot of “brush” I want to clear out in the far end of the yard. I don’t want to buy something only to have to go back in a couple of years and get something bigger
Travis Macdonald

Offline Bruce

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 06:35:25 AM »
I just picked up one of these, https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/String-Trimmers/2825-20ST, with the chainsaw head attachment.

Ive been using it for small branch and brush trimming and it works great in that application.  I can reach into the tree and or brush to cut branches then clean out later.  Keeps me from climbing into the stickers.  Ive cut 4-5" branches with it, goes through no problem. 

I have gone back with the chainsaw, but I've used this more than the chainsaw as of late.

I really only use the chainsaw now for cutting trees down.  This is much easier to use for day to day trimming.  The weed eater attachment works great as well.
Bruce
03 TJR
04.5 Dodge CTD
05 LJR
2017 JKU

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 07:25:11 AM »
I actually just got an echo string trimmer with the PAS system for my birthday. Maybe I’ll order the saw attachment for that and try that first
Travis Macdonald

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 07:51:02 AM »
I have not tried both chainsaws.

Ya got a picture of the brush? 

I have taken down a lot of brush with a Husqvarna brush/weed wacker;  Your string trimmer vendor may sell an attachment that isn't a chainsaw, but just a bad-ass blade.

I have the MS291...I couldn't get it cranked the last time I tried, so I switched to the electric chainsaw with the portable generator...not nearly as convienient, but it did work and was a lot less frustrating  :)
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 08:00:08 AM »

One of our neighbors received a fine for cutting trees down in his back yard last year. If the tree is less than 6" in diameter or is dead your ok to cut. it most likely would not have been an issue if another neighbor would not have reported him.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 08:14:10 AM »
Wait... there's seriously a law that you cant cut down a tree on your own property?

I've got a Husqvarna 455 rancher that's been great! Plenty of power for my needs and starts amazing with little effort over the last 3 years I've owned it.
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 08:16:18 AM »
This will likely be my next chainsaw. Haven’t decided if I’ll keep the gasser too. I don’t expect it to have the same power, but for the light use that I’d need it, I think it will be great.

I decided to get one of their battery powered blowers and have been very impressed so far. 

Jay

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 08:25:55 AM »
I have not tried both chainsaws.

Ya got a picture of the brush? 

I have taken down a lot of brush with a Husqvarna brush/weed wacker;  Your string trimmer vendor may sell an attachment that isn't a chainsaw, but just a bad-ass blade.

I have the MS291...I couldn't get it cranked the last time I tried, so I switched to the electric chainsaw with the portable generator...not nearly as convienient, but it did work and was a lot less frustrating  :)
Here’s a picture of my bush for ya.

We’re putting in a fence and I want to create a square vs a radius that is in place now. Plan is to clear all the underbrush and ivy and put down some mulch so that there is a shaded area in the yard. I’ll leave the big trees but limb them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travis Macdonald

Online TravisMac

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 08:28:09 AM »
Lookin to sail that 291?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travis Macdonald

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 08:30:16 AM »
This will likely be my next chainsaw. Haven’t decided if I’ll keep the gasser too. I don’t expect it to have the same power, but for the light use that I’d need it, I think it will be great.

I decided to get one of their battery powered blowers and have been blown away by them so far. 

FIFY
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM