BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: How safe is your job?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
Re: How safe is your job?
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 06:12:55 PM »
My cousin works for CSX in NC.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »
My cousin works for CSX in NC.

So.... what's he do?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:51:17 AM by Doug »

tgrt

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 10:44:42 PM »
I work for a die shop and stamper.  This time last year we were running three full shifts and we're down to one now.  We laid off just over 30 people a few weeks ago.  The main problem is that most of our work is for the auto industry.  However, I've seen the forecasts and there is still work for the foreseeable future.

Seeing as I have tried to make myself invaluable I will be around as long as they can afford me.  I just finished our part of a large EDI project.  Our first that involved me writing software for integration, translation, and validation of EDI documents.  It saved the company at least $50K and probably more around $75k then buying software and consulting from outside.

IFSSUX

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 07:59:23 AM »
^ thats the way to do it. i just made sure when i setup the network that its so perfect a child could figure out how to maintain it. it makes the boss happy that she doesnt have to wait on me to fix the network since any idiot there can so she now has me doing anything IT related and now i even help out around the office doing anything asked of me. she went from having an outside company that cost over 100K a year to handle IT to paying me for IT plus getting extra work out of me including vehicle repairs :-P

just make sure you pick up any extra slack around the office and you will be hard to let go. the idiot who is always sleeping or calling in will be let go first.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 08:50:47 AM »
I work for a die shop and stamper.  This time last year we were running three full shifts and we're down to one now.  We laid off just over 30 people a few weeks ago.  The main problem is that most of our work is for the auto industry.  However, I've seen the forecasts and there is still work for the foreseeable future.

Seeing as I have tried to make myself invaluable I will be around as long as they can afford me.  I just finished our part of a large EDI project.  Our first that involved me writing software for integration, translation, and validation of EDI documents.  It saved the company at least $50K and probably more around $75k then buying software and consulting from outside.
^ thats the way to do it. i just made sure when i setup the network that its so perfect a child could figure out how to maintain it. it makes the boss happy that she doesnt have to wait on me to fix the network since any idiot there can so she now has me doing anything IT related and now i even help out around the office doing anything asked of me. she went from having an outside company that cost over 100K a year to handle IT to paying me for IT plus getting extra work out of me including vehicle repairs :-P

just make sure you pick up any extra slack around the office and you will be hard to let go. the idiot who is always sleeping or calling in will be let go first.

Nice work you guys.  Sounds like somebody I'd want on my team.  Go the extra mile.  Take action without asking.  Good job!

Tgrt, where's the shop?

BigJerm

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 08:54:04 AM »

That’s what I am doing... busting my ass at work. Make sure they know without me the other 1 person in my department would go under quickly and fall way behind on licenses. I also help the merchants with my product and installation knowledge since I have installed every product we sell in the past. Megan even said she wanted to call in today and I should to and I said if I called in today, it could be permanent...

IFSSUX

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 10:34:33 AM »
i would also like to point out that anyone who wheels an IFS truck doesnt mind work....

but you all know that by now  ::)

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 10:38:44 AM »
Well, to have a safe job you do need to go above and beyond. The bible even tells us to be diligent and use our time wisely and work hard. Even if your boss is a butt you are there to do a job and you are to be diligent. Now we all surf the net, waste some time now and then but the work should be first. I happen to be one of the lucky ones and have a job where I can basically come in and go as I please as long as the work gets done and it's right. I would not want to work for another boss and hope to retire from here. My boss wears hawaiian shirts and sandals in the summer so that gives you an indication of how laid back it is here. I never shave unless I work a show and wear regular clothes to work. We have outings from time to time like golf or head over to his house for pizza and other stuff. I have been here for 6 years and have loved every minute of it. Never come in to do the same thing and always have unexpected things come up to make it interesting. You have to be able to adapt and learn. It also helps to have a hand in all aspects of the job. I have about 6 duties here and all are crucial. I even clean the offices for a little extra $. Every bit helps!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 10:46:54 AM »
I am the Director of Information Technology for my home town's city goverment. I think my job is safe even if the pay is not all that it would be in the private sector.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »
Megan even said she wanted to call in today and I should to and I said if I called in today, it could be permanent...

That doesn't sound like the Megan I read about!  Hope she's feeling well.

BigJerm

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 12:47:08 PM »
Megan even said she wanted to call in today and I should to and I said if I called in today, it could be permanent...

That doesn't sound like the Megan I read about!  Hope she's feeling well.

She just has a case of the Super-Lazy-Bug  :D

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 02:47:07 PM »
I think my job as "student" is pretty safe but once I graduate who knows.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM