BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Need advice and opinions!  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Confederate

• Visitor
Need advice and opinions!
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »
Well I am thinking about doing a major upgrade on my truck.

Truck: 1979 Ford F150 4X4
Engine: 351M/400 with Edelbrock 4 barrel
Transmission: C6

I am thinking about putting a 460 engine in the truck and as well as a Granny 3 spd transmission. And also put lower gears in the thing.

This is my toy truck and I usually drive it around town and go to work in it or just drive it around.

I have a Ford Ranger for long distance travel.

So what should I do? Leave the 351M in the truck or upgrade to a 460 and a granny 3 spd transmission?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:04:49 PM by Confederate »

So-Bad-Im-Good

Re: Need advice and opinions!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 10:25:50 PM »
Sell the 351M to someone with a big boat for a boat anchor,put 460 with automatic in truck,upgrade to 60's and wheel it around town and on the trails.Just my 2 cents.
                                                                                       Jon

Offline Confederate

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:32:42 PM »
Sell the 351M to someone with a big boat for a boat anchor,put 460 with automatic in truck,upgrade to 60's and wheel it around town and on the trails.Just my 2 cents.
                                                                                       Jon

So the 351M sucks eh?

Offline Logan

• Visitor
  • Hit it like you mean it
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:56:24 PM »
                                                                                       Jon

So the 351M sucks eh?

It's arguable on if the 351m is a boat anchor or not. There are some guys getting serious horsepower out of them, but it is not easy.
Here is an example of about as far as you can take the 351/400 block.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801615&highlight=

If you read over on Pirate, there is a lot of info on the 351/400m block and what you can do with it, but be warned if you make a login over there read and search, be very very careful about posting.

Regardless of whether you swap engines or build what you have, if you plan to use the torque and horsepower you gain, you need to upgrade axles. The 44 front won't hold up to much power under that heavy beast.
93 F-250 tow pig

Offline Confederate

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:32:33 PM »
                                                                                       Jon

So the 351M sucks eh?

It's arguable on if the 351m is a boat anchor or not. There are some guys getting serious horsepower out of them, but it is not easy.

If you read over on Pirate, there is a lot of info on the 351/400m block and what you can do with it, but be warned if you make a login over there read and search, be very very careful about posting.

Regardless of whether you swap engines or build what you have, if you plan to use the torque and horsepower you gain, you need to upgrade axles. The 44 front won't hold up to much power under that heavy beast.

Be careful about posting?

mdo817

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »
                                                                                       Jon

So the 351M sucks eh?

Be careful about posting?
Pirate guys are ruthless.

Offline Logan

• Visitor
  • Hit it like you mean it
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:41:48 PM »

Pirate guys are ruthless.

That's an understatement... It's nicer than when I started over there, but ask a question in the wrong section or one that you could find the answer in a search, and they will tear into you. There is enough info over there that if you search you will likely find an answer without having to ask. I've been over there since 05 and I think I only have like 24 or 25 posts, just because I can usually find what I need with a search.
93 F-250 tow pig

Offline Confederate

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 11:46:29 PM »
Lol. Computer guys.

Eh, I just get a 460.

Guy wanted to sell me a 460 out of a boat for $400.
Then a guy that works with my brother has a 460 that was in his racing truck (it needs minor work but he is going to fix it) and wants to sell it to me for $600-$800.
Tomorrow I am going to go to this mechanic guy that worked on my truck and see how much he wants for his 460 out of his 2wd 78 or 79 Ford F150.

I can't keep the Dana 44s?

I plan to run either 36's or 38's.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 11:54:53 PM »
Richard has a Ranger with mild EFI 302 with F150 axles (44/9") and seems to break a shaft every time out whether he was on 34s, 38s, or 40s.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline Confederate

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 11:58:14 PM »
Got this from a site I go on as well and a guy asked about should he have 60s or 44s and a guy replied with this:

Not real clear on the question here.
If you feel that you need a D60 in the front of your truck, then dont even consider a D60 for the rear. See, the 60's are very different from front to rear. Rear D60's are only 30 spline, and weak as can be. A rear D60 is only as strong as a D44. The only dofference is that when a D44 breaks an axle, the wheel falls off. When a D60 axle breaks, the wheel stays on.
Overall strength is about the same.
Now as far as a D60 being "too long" we might have to consider what this actually means. Too long, or too wide? Which is it? D44's were available in full sized rigs, as were D60's. They are the same width.
Perhaps the length difference is in the actual size of the ring gear, and, yes it is true, that the 60 is larger, and this will require a shorter driveshaft.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 12:14:49 AM »
The front 60 is very strong, I think thats what everyone was talking about in this thread.

However, I still think a stock full float 60 will be stronger than a stock semi float 44. Sure, they have the same shaft diameter and spline count, but since the 60 is full float the shaft sees a purely radial force and not a combination of axial and radial forces like the 44. The 60 also has larger axle tubes and larger gears and larger center section which reduces housing flex, and ask anyone with a dana 35 rear, housing flex is a biatch.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline Confederate

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »
Put what sucks it the lug pattern.

I will have 8 lug on the front and 5 lug on the back.

Where could I get a 60 from?

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM