BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: A visual ducumentary: 8/4/07 My front drive shaft's last day of life... RIP DS  (Read 969 times)

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
Seth
07 Rubicon Unlimited on 37s

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Your front DS died after that trip? Did you lose a u-joint or break a shaft.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
It's a CV styly DS in the front.  Apparantly a known weak point on the 99-00 model WJs.  The rubber boot on the TC end had rotted off, possilbly for quite some time.  The water holes at Aetna washed out the last remnants of any lubricant that were in the joint.  On the way home, it started making an awful humming sound with vibration.  I did make it home though and found the issue.  I'm running 2wd right now.  I think I am going to order a new double/doulbe cardon shaft from Tom Woods. 
Seth

Chris Hyde

I think I am going to order a new double/doulbe cardon shaft from Tom Woods before I check in for the River Rock trip and tell RooB to also check in. 

Fixed it for ya!  ;D

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
I don't know about RooB but I'm not going to be able to go.  My wife and I are going to see Kenny Chesney on the 8th with some friends.  I'm not really a country fan but I hear it should be a good show.  I hate that I will miss it, the Ocoee and Tellico are both a blast!
Seth

Chris Hyde

I don't know about RooB but I'm not going to be able to go.  My wife and I are going to see Kenny Chesney on the 8th with some friends.  I'm not really a country fan but I hear it should be a good show.  I hate that I will miss it, the Ocoee and Tellico are both a blast!

I said River Rock, which is in October.

Daniel

Yeah Seth.. October.  And you tell Brian, or if Brian reads this, both of you guys better commit to the ride.  It should be fun, so the story goes.  ;)

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
As I a fellow Grand owner, I feel I must say a few words.

Oh Front Driveshaft, you went too soon. You had served Seth well in all ya'lls great adventures. We know you are currently in a better place (Seth's garage) and we will miss you dearly.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

urdaddyjeep

where was this at??? would like to wheel the powerline road...and yes this is an old thread but i am bored here at work

RotorHead

Re: A visual ducumentary: 8/4/07 My front drive shaft's last day of life... RI
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »
where was this at??? would like to wheel the powerline road...and yes this is an old thread but i am bored here at work

That's Mt. Aetna in Chattanooga, TN. It's a great place and the cost is free.

urdaddyjeep

we might have to go up there sometime next yr...

BigJerm

It is fun but man some of those puddles can get DEEP. No real formal campground or anything and from what I hear you wouldnt really want to anyways... not sure about that though

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM