BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: APRIL 17, 2010 OPEN RIDE AT BEASLEY KNOB - DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 26028 times)

Offline Richmon

• Visitor
Re: APRIL 17, 2010 OPEN RIDE AT BEASLEY KNOB - DISCUSSION THREAD
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2010, 09:49:19 AM »
It sounds like a crazy ride.  I am surprised that it was so tough on the rigs. 

My JK is bone stock on SR-A tires and made it everywhere the group went (I was with the stock/mild group).

Offline Mudhawk

• Visitor
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2010, 09:53:22 AM »
Had a great time in my stock JK 4dr, even though I knocked the tops off of about 100 hoop-de-doos and got top centered a couple of times. In thought it was a great ride and I learned a lot about Jeeps. Mostly I enjoyed the people; what a great group. It was impressive to see everyone pitch in when the Rubicon and GARover got fouled up. I'm looking ofrward to the next ride.

GARover, I've posted a few pix just for you. Hope the kids have recovered and really hope to see you will again. I'm going in for a lift and bigger tires, too.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:02:15 AM by Mudhawk »

Offline GARover

• Visitor
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2010, 01:08:32 PM »
haha thanks for the pics... If you look closely in the picture of the headlight..you'll see a white velco strip and to the right you'll see a glob of bondo of some type. The previous owner wrecked the truck in a ditch and that was their half ass way to fix it. Hence why it fell out. Of course I didn't know that was all that was holding it in. lol

I went and bought some 1.25 Dom and some sheet metal today. I'm taking the front and rear bumpers off as we speak to make some off road ones. Got a 3" lift and a new high clearance 1.31dom aftermarket tie rod bar coming. I took the old one off and it's like paper thin tubing. A mcdonalds straw looks tougher. lol if I have enough plate left over I'm going to made some rock rails. After that roll over scare you might just see me with a full exo cage next time lol

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2010, 01:16:06 PM »
Sorry if I or anyone else created the misconception that Beasley Knob is a simple Forestry Trail.  It's much more than that, but I've not seen anything there, other than the wall and 93B, that can't be done with a stock jeep and an experienced driver when it's dry.  As NorthGAX stated, he went everywhere the group went in a stock jeep.

I should have said more about seat time on the trail and being an experienced driver, as it is easy for anyone to flop a rig on the trails if they are inexperienced, or make errors.  Could happen to any of us.  We had a group go up there a few years ago now that had 2 rigs with inexperienced drivers not listening to spotters that flopped.  Nothing serious, but it could have been.

Almost everyone on GA Trail Riders started as a novice, and went on their first trail ride with the group.  Everyone learns as they get more seat time, but there is no substitute for a good spotter and seat time. 

An important thing to remember is no one wants to ever push you, or for you to go into a situation you are uncomfortable, so call out on the radio and let someone know you want some advice or help.  Folks will run to help.

I've never been on a ride where a broken rig was left behind.  I know some folks want to ride, and have no skills to help other make a repair, but always check it out, hang a bit, and make sure you're not needed.  You can learn a lot about what to do if it happens to you one day.  Sometime somebody has to go for parts.  Everybody can help in some way.  It's also a time to get to know everybody better and talk rigs.  I've helped make a repair, and I have been helped, so we all do what we can on the trail.  There are times when it's under control, and time to go ride.

Overall it sounds like a good time was had by all.  Glad it all worked out and the carnage was no greater than it was.

Did a group go to 93B?

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2010, 01:24:24 PM »
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2010, 01:35:02 PM »
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?

wtf? {hardlaugh} I was thinking the same thing.

Offline TonkaJK

• Visitor
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2010, 02:08:30 PM »
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?

Near Death Experience!  :hlp
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:10:01 PM by gpcribbs116 »

Offline MACHINE

• Visitor
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2010, 02:15:25 PM »

Offline Rockinwrangler

• Visitor
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »
Okay guys...  Just got back home from the ride at Beasley.  Had a safe trip home..  It was great once again to meet all the new guys and to see some of you regulars.  All in all I think the ride was awesome.  The weather couldn't have been any better and the trails were in pretty good shape.  We did have a few  Bumps In The Road  but definitely nothing a little seat time and experience could not fix.  Out of  all the things I have heard so far the best advice i got is #1 - If it is ever taking you out of your comfort zone YELL for a spotter  #2 -  "ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR SPOTTER"....  most of the time the spotter will tell you something that you will think is crazy but he sees things you don't. 

As most of you guys probably noiced, I am a BIG guy...  one thing is for sure I am never too big to say "HELP". or "I'M SCARED" or "BYPASS" or "I'M HUNGRY"..  LOL..

Can't wait until the next adventure....  Atleast no one was seriously hurt .. 

Here is a link to my photos of the days ride..  Hope it works for you guys..

Mike (Rockinwrangler)

http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp181/Rockinwrangler/Beasley%20Knob%20April%202010/?albumview=slideshow

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:39:34 PM by Rockinwrangler »
"A well built rig is one that is road worthy after a day on the trail"

cjlewis

« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2010, 02:26:25 PM »
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?

{ehm} That would be me.  {hihi}   First time ever on the trails.  While the JEEP was perfectly capable of making the entire course, my skills were not.  This was the only spot I thought OH CRAP and unfortunately it was 20 minutes into the trails.  I will let others describe the trail conditions as the best I can do is OH CRAP. 

I took the advise of those around me...stay off the brake and turn into a slide if it happens.  I did the turn into the slide but probably touch the brake once too much.  Much to learn!

Thanks to everyone who got me straighten out.  I am pretty sure the call I made on the CB was WE'RE GONNA ROLL...HELP!  :hlp lol  After a short conversation about how the hell are we going to fix this.  The guys pull off the wall with no fuss.  THANKS!

Spent the rest of the day practicing steep descent without touching the brake.  Found out putting the automatic in 1st gear goes a long way to controlling speed without using the brake.  Seems completely obvious now but in the heat of the moment and not expecting a muddy drop it was the furthest thing from my mind....never again!

Other than that I did a lot scraping on objects everyone else rolled over.  Some of it was picking the right line, I think.  Some was having the less ground clearance.  Never got stuck....just tilled a little land.

While I would not recommend this as a first course, I do feel like I learn about about my JEEP, driving and what GA Trail Rider team work is about.  Again I appreciate the opportunity and hope to be able to return the help in future rides.

-Chris

Offline Rockinwrangler

• Visitor
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »
Hey man,

Those are bragging photos right there...  hahahah

Not everybody has a shot like that.  I am sure it felt worse than it looks in the photos..
"A well built rig is one that is road worthy after a day on the trail"

Offline GARover

• Visitor
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2010, 03:47:23 PM »
Yeah photos don't do the steepness of that hill justice. Look at the angle of the yellow jeep up top and how tucked and rolled the red jeep is... It was like dropping 30 feet with in 25 feet it seemed. it almost looks flay in the pic lol

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM