BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: APRIL 17, 2010 OPEN RIDE AT BEASLEY KNOB - DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 26011 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: APRIL 17, 2010 OPEN RIDE AT BEASLEY KNOB - DISCUSSION THREAD
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »
I took the advise of those around me...stay off the brake and turn into a slide if it happens.  I did the turn into the slide but probably touch the brake once too much.  Much to learn!

Congrats on your 1st ride!  That JK U Rubi is extremely capable.  Throw on a budget lift and some 35's and you've got a very capable wheeling machine.  I have a set of 4 door Xenon flares for sale that you need!   :D

Glad it worked out. Those that know me know I would have had a major portion of padding ripped out of the center of the drivers seat!  HUGE pucker for off camber.  ;) 

My technique for a slippery decent....
Low gear, ease down, if I start to slide, I ACCELERATE a little getting the wheels up to the slide speed so I regain complete control.  No brakes.
Once control is felt, I try to slow down a little.

{toast}

Offline HHI_Rubicon

• Visitor
  • BANNED
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »
I took the advise of those around me...stay off the brake and turn into a slide if it happens.  I did the turn into the slide but probably touch the brake once too much.  Much to learn!

Congrats on your 1st ride!  That JK U Rubi is extremely capable.  Throw on a budget lift and some 35's and you've got a very capable wheeling machine.  I have a set of 4 door Xenon flares for sale that you need!   :D

Glad it worked out. Those that know me know I would have had a major portion of padding ripped out of the center of the drivers seat!  HUGE pucker for off camber.  ;) 

My technique for a slippery decent....
Low gear, ease down, if I start to slide, I ACCELERATE a little getting the wheels up to the slide speed so I regain complete control.  No brakes.
Once control is felt, I try to slow down a little.

{toast}

PM me a price and pictures of those flares if you're really selling them .....
Semper Fi

Offline Rockinwrangler

• Visitor
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »
Just some random photos

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A well built rig is one that is road worthy after a day on the trail"

Offline TonkaJK

• Visitor
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2010, 06:55:24 PM »
Okay guys...  Just got back home from the ride at Beasley.  Had a safe trip home..  It was great once again to meet all the new guys and to see some of you regulars.  All in all I think the ride was awesome...

Mike, we really appreciate you "Leading the pack" yesterday! You are a great leader/spotter! Thanks for everything (Patty said, "Thanks for trying to catch her!") We are in the process of finishing up the first video and it will be up soon! We should have enough footage for one more (Part two).  We definitely want to go back up there again soon!!!  FYI: If anyone is looking for a good HD video camera, we can recommend one!!! That Canon has been dropped twice and, even after a slide down a mountain  ;D it still works fine!!! It has a little rattle to it though!  {hihi}

Offline TonkaJK

• Visitor
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2010, 08:35:15 PM »
The first video is up, sort of! You Tube muted the music because of copyright... BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!  {boohoo}

I am "tweaking" it so, hopefully it will be up soon!

RotorHead

« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2010, 09:15:21 PM »
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?

{ehm} That would be me.  {hihi}   First time ever on the trails.  While the JEEP was perfectly capable of making the entire course, my skills were not.  This was the only spot I thought OH CRAP and unfortunately it was 20 minutes into the trails.  I will let others describe the trail conditions as the best I can do is OH CRAP. 

Thanks to everyone who got me straighten out.  I am pretty sure the call I made on the CB was WE'RE GONNA ROLL...HELP!  :hlp lol  After a short conversation about how the hell are we going to fix this.  The guys pull off the wall with no fuss.  THANKS!

That's one of the most common mistakes people make and probably one of the largest causes of rollovers. As unnatural as it feels, sometimes you have to let off the brakes a little. A wheel that is not rolling will not steer at all. Always use low gear on descents except for some of those extreme cases where you might want neutral so it will catch up quicker if you let off, but you'll get into that sfuff later.

A little wheel slippage is to be expected and is OK, but make sure that you lift a little and keep some roll in the tires. Get in the habit of watching you're drivers tire. That's why I prefer to drive doors off. I hardly look through my windshield. I'm usually hanging my head out the side.

Offline TonkaJK

• Visitor
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »

UPDATE!!! I performed You Tube's "Audio Swap" and the HD version now has music! Not my favorite music, but it's no longer a silent movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61J1-f1BZB0

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:11:22 PM by gpcribbs116 »

Offline rabunjeeper

• Visitor
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2010, 09:57:23 PM »
Nice job! Where's part two?

Offline Rockinwrangler

• Visitor
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2010, 10:02:58 PM »
The video is awesome.  It definitely captures the difficulty of the trails better than still shots.  Thanks for taking the time to post them up and share them with us.

"A well built rig is one that is road worthy after a day on the trail"

JKmuder

« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »
Great Video!!!! looks good {popcorn}

Offline planedog

• Visitor
« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »
We all had a great time and hope that we get to ride with you again.  93B was a lot of fun!  Thanks to the White TJ that gave me a pull through the muddy part {toast}, wish I could remember your name.

JLaird110

« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2010, 12:49:22 PM »
I had a great time out with everyone on saturday. My 4runner out performed what I expected it to do. It was the first time taking it out to a "real" trail. I am excited for another ride.

Nice video, did anybody happen to catch any pictures of the 4runner?

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM