BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Which Jeep model?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Nastygnome

• Visitor
Which Jeep model?
« on: December 14, 2013, 01:21:15 PM »
Hey guys I'm considering selling my K5 and getting a unlimited in the next year or so.  I have my second son on the way and think the four door off roading and camping machine would be great for the family!  Question is though should I only look for the rubicon since it comes with lockers and all the rubicon stuff or is it comparable to get a cheaper sport and build it to be better that the rubi for about the same price? Thanks for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:26:04 PM by Doug »
2007 Jeep JK Rubicon 2Dr
Dana 44 front and rear lockers
stock suspension
automatic transmission
silver and black

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Which model?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
If you can afford the rubicon I would get that. I did. If you buy the cheaper one and put the stuffn in it like the rubicon, then that aftermarket stuff is worth half the price you paid for it at best and no labor. The rubicon will have everything and hold the value better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline gint2

• Visitor
  • RAINMAN - 18436572
Re: Which model?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 03:50:12 PM »
The age old question of web wheelers... Rubi or Sport.... there are about as many answers as there are Jeepers.

My answer would be this, I have a Rubi simply by dumb luck. Now that i have one and wheel it, I think I would never consider a non-rubi now. Now that is not to say that non-rubi's are incapable, they are very capable. I like the convenience of being able to have built my Jeep up to 35's and not need to re-gear (manual trans) I like to push the button and the sway bar is disco'ed, I like to push the button and front & rear are locked (yes, available aftermarket). For me the biggest and best thing is the Rock-trac transfer case. IMHAO, that is the cats ass and you can't beat that.

You do need to look at what kind of wheeling will you be doing... FS roads or full on crawling? Everyone starts out on FS roads and you get the bug to continue to grow. Next thing you know, your on the rocks wanting to do upgrades that the rubi comes with.
JK-AJ

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 04:46:42 PM »
Only Rubi if you are going off road.  Very wise to ask up front.  Many have bought and then went off road and found out how much they will have to spend to hang with the rubis.

Sent off camber

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »
I bought a Sport and I have upgraded.  If I were to do-over I would start with a Rubicon mostly to get the better axles and built in lockers.  IF you just want to do FS roads, stick with a Sport S.  If you want to do more, start with the Rubi.  Its also a cash flow and timing thing.  If you are truly going to build a crazy Jeep with massive axles etc, start with the cheapest Sport you can buy probably. 

Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
Re:
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 06:20:16 PM »
I went with the sport, but I also had no idea I'd get hooked like I did. I'm happy with the route I went with because I prefer to finance as little as possible and use extra money on upgrades.

(Rubi related: I've added a stronger pro rock 44, rcv shafts, 5:13s, ARBs F & R, quick discos) I do wish I had the rubi transfer case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Jay

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 06:28:21 PM »
I went with the sport, but I also had no idea I'd get hooked like I did. I'm happy with the route I went with because I prefer to finance as little as possible and use extra money on upgrades.

(Rubi related: I've added a stronger pro rock 44, rcv shafts, 5:13s, ARBs F & R, quick discos) I do wish I had the rubi transfer case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

When is your next wheelin trip with GATR?

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Which model?
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:51:27 PM »
I think if your plan is moderate upgrades and 37" tires or less, you just can't go wrong w a rubi. It comes ready to rock and you can do a moderate build with the lockers and low TC already out of the way and done.

If your plan is to do a fairly hardcore build, go sport all the way, the cheaper the better. You'll be replacing the the axles which are big ticket items anyway so there is no need to have rubi axles just to pull them. Yeah, you can sell them if you have them but you can get sports for fairly cheap so probably better in the long run.

If you do t know which way you may go, and many of us didn't when we first bought...I would say go w a Rubi if the price is not terrible.

Offline Nastygnome

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »
Great advice!! I'm glad I'm starting this information gathering early in the purchase process. 

Next question then?? Are all the rubi's from say 2004-2013 a good purchase depending on condition?  I see some that are still all stock and don't look abused from the previous years mentioned.  I'd like to have the approach of get a good deal on the rubi then upgrade bumpers,winch,tires,wheels etc...
So just wondering if there is year models you recommend to stay away from or not I guess or what?
Thanks fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 Jeep JK Rubicon 2Dr
Dana 44 front and rear lockers
stock suspension
automatic transmission
silver and black

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 09:07:17 PM »
2007-2010, all the same, don't know of any years that had "issues" 3.8l motor
2011 newer interior, looks pretty cool and I think the seats are more comfortable. 3.8 motor
2012 and up, new 3.6 motor and sweet 5 speed auto trans

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Get the Pentastar engine.  2012 and newer I think... HUGE difference, and with the Rubi gears you can have power to run BFG 38's or GY 37'son the street as a daily driver.

Yes, buy used, never off road.  I bought a 2009 rubi from a 65 year old man, only off road at his farm on the dirt roads.  Not a scratch under, and never put in 4 wheel or locked as far as he could recall.  

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 09:37:01 PM »
Get the Pentastar engine.  2012 and newer I think... HUGE difference, and with the Rubi gears you can have power to run BFG 38's or GY 37'son the street as a daily driver.

Yes, buy used, never off road.  I bought a 2009 rubi from a 65 year old man, only off road at his farm on the dirt roads.  Not a scratch under, and never put in 4 wheel or locked as far as he could recall.  

I bought my 2008 used from a Catholic Priest!  Honest truth, if I lie about that you know I'll go to hell.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM