BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Possible new project  (Read 2045 times)

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Possible new project
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 07:51:19 AM »
I had the same line of thinking awhile back, which is why I built my buggy and sold my JKU

I do miss being able to drive a jeep on the road, but if you're keeping the JKU then this shouldn't matter. Having a dedicated trail rig is awesome!

IMO....

that cage is ugly. Looks like a stock roll bar with supports added to it. I'd take that out and start over for both safety and aesthetics. Fitting a kids seat may pose an issue, but hard to tell without more pictures

Propane works good, and is a great system of you can conveniently refill the tanks. The downside is that two tanks take up quite a bit of space, and only carrying 1 isn't the best idea seeing as no one usually has "extra" on the trail if you run out. I run propane since I can refill easily, and the cost of going fuel injected wasn't worth it to me. (I may still do it one day if my 304 craps out on me). Most people sell their propane systems bc they get tired of trying to refill tanks.

For the price, that isn't too bad if you want something you can wheel now and fix as you go. A/C is overrated...  //SLAMIN//

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 07:54:55 AM »
Id keep checking Davey's daily for a TJ or LJ! I love having AC on a hot day. Or armor up the body of your JK some more. I know when we were at Beasley's at the top of 93B if you had something you wouldn't have cared about smacking that tree you would have made that climb for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 07:55:22 AM »
I had the same line of thinking awhile back, which is why I built my buggy and sold my JKU

I do miss being able to drive a jeep on the road, but if you're keeping the JKU then this shouldn't matter. Having a dedicated trail rig is awesome!

IMO....

that cage is ugly. Looks like a stock roll bar with supports added to it. I'd take that out and start over for both safety and aesthetics. Fitting a kids seat may pose an issue, but hard to tell without more pictures

Propane works good, and is a great system of you can conveniently refill the tanks. The downside is that two tanks take up quite a bit of space, and only carrying 1 isn't the best idea seeing as no one usually has "extra" on the trail if you run out. I run propane since I can refill easily, and the cost of going fuel injected wasn't worth it to me. (I may still do it one day if my 304 craps out on me). Most people sell their propane systems bc they get tired of trying to refill tanks.

For the price, that isn't too bad if you want something you can wheel now and fix as you go. A/C is overrated...  //SLAMIN//

i had been thinking about it for a while but  your jeep at hale really got me thinking about it. i've got a local place that can fill the tanks so that isn't an issue. I agree on the cage. Looks like a piece of junk and would be the first thing i did. I think with my machine shop skills i could probably do a pretty nice cage and it gives me an excuse to purchase a tubing bender (which i've been wanting to do).

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 08:00:32 AM »
Id keep checking Davey's daily for a TJ or LJ! I love having AC on a hot day. Or armor up the body of your JK some more. I know when we were at Beasley's at the top of 93B if you had something you wouldn't have cared about smacking that tree you would have made that climb for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hey you weren't supposed to tell anybody i didn't make it!!! you are correct though the more i drag my jeep across the rocks the sicker i get when i inspect it when i get home. i also see my skill level (pretty much a pro race car driver) and my nerve getting more and more. Would be nice to have something i could safely flop or bang into a tree and not have to take to the body shop.

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 08:06:02 AM »
I think you will have .... less financial risk with that rig

That is the only reason to buy another rig.  I spent a lot of money on my JKU and going tons cost me more than I thought but now that I'm on the other side of it and everyone involved has had two passes at figuring out all the small stuff, you could have tons for less than 8-10k including the wheel change.  Your skillset, probably less.  The one thing you have to be ok with is that you do have to run more lift.  You've already got coilovers so you're good there for adjusting the height. 

I still think about buying and building an LJ myself for less financial risk but it's a dream and the grass is always greener on the other side.

how did your brakes turn out? I've heard alot of bad things about big brakes and the jk. did you change the master cylinder?

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 08:09:00 AM »
I believe him and Doug did. Same one that us TJ/LJ folks use if I recall... Dodge 2500
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 08:19:35 AM »
I believe him and Doug did. Same one that us TJ/LJ folks use if I recall... Dodge 2500
  I used the part number referenced by Dana for the UD60 axles and think that is the BR6 J8 master cylinder but I haven't looked at it in months.

thanks for the offer. I may just do that. I also want to check out your windshield tie ins on the cage.

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 08:29:05 AM »
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »
Did you see this....down to $10500

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,14454.0.html

if it had tons and a v8 i would be all over it.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 11:44:13 AM »
Tons and a V8 for $10k would be a super find.

My JK on tons stops like a dang go kart.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:44:31 AM by Doug »

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 11:49:47 AM »
Going to trail only rig is a good idea. You could always buy something and upgrade to a different rig along the way until you get where you want. Building will cost more than buying.

Ripping control arm mounts and bending body frame mounts are all possible on a jeep. What about rolling it? Stuff happens. Body armour or not, body damage will occur.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:23 PM »

It's all about knowing your limits. Anything could happen but we're a good group at doing our best mitigating the risk.

very true.

I think our group does a damn good job at pushing the limits safely and without much damage.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM